FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
- What is the role of the City Manager ?
City Charter Section 3.05 Powers and Duties of the City Manager.
The City Manager shall be the chief administrative and executive officer of the
(1) Shall appoint and, when he/she deems it in the best interest of the City,
City. He/she shall be responsible to the City Council for the administration of all City
affairs placed in his/her charge by or under this Charter. He/she shall have the following
powers and duties:
suspend or remove any City department directors provided for by or under this Charter,
except as otherwise provided by law, this Charter or personnel rules adopted pursuant to
this Charter. Department directors shall have the power to appoint, remove, or suspend all
employees in their respective departments pursuant to policy as stated in Section 4.01 (B),
Directors of Departments;
(2) Shall direct and supervise the administration of all departments, offices, and
agencies of the City, except as otherwise provided by this Charter or by law;
(3) Shall attend all City Council meetings and shall have the right to take part in
discussion but may not vote;
(4) Shall see that all laws, provisions of this Charter and acts of this Council,
subject to enforcement by the City Manager or by officers subject to City Manager's
direction and supervision, are faithfully executed;
(5) Shall prepare and submit the annual budget and capital program to the City
(6) Shall submit to the City Council and make available to the public a complete
report on the finances and administrative activities of the City as of the end of each fiscal
(7) Shall make such other reports as the City Council may require concerning the
operations of City departments, offices and agencies subject to his/her direction and
(8) Shall keep the City Council fully advised as to the financial condition and
future needs of the City and make such recommendations to the City Council concerning
the affairs of the City as he/she deems desirable, and
(9) Shall perform such other duties as are specified in this Charter or may be required by the City Council.
- Is the City Manager position an elected position ?
City Charter Section 3.01 Appointment; Compensation
The City Council, by a majority vote of total membership, shall appoint a City
Manager for an indefinite term and fix the manager's compensation. His/her compensation shall
be reviewed on a yearly basis upon the anniversary of his/or employment date.
- What is the role of the City Mayor ?
City Charter Section 2.15 Powers and Duties of the Mayor
(I) Shall preside at Council meetings;
(2) Shall be recognized as the head of the City Government and as the official
representative of the City but shall have no administrative duties;
(3) Shall only vote in case of a tie of Council Members;
(4) Shall have the veto power and his/her veto may be overridden by a vote of five (5) Council Members.
- What is the role of the City Council and how do they work with
the City Manager ?
Councilmembers are the city’s legislators. Their primary duty is policymaking, whcich includes identifying
the needs of local residents, formulating programs to meet the changing requirements of the community,
and measuring the effectiveness of ongoing municipal services. (Home Rule Cities Handbook for Mayors
and Councilmembers, 2007)
- How many districts does Laredo have and who are the respective
council members ?
City Charter Section 10.06 Council Districts; Adjustment of Districts
(A) Number of Districts
There shall be eight (8) City Council districts.
- If I would like to interview the City Manager, who do I have
to contact first ?
An appointment should be scheduled with the City Manager’s Executive Secretary.
- If there is a damaged street, a broken water line, or any other
concern, who do I call ?
Dial 311 or go to 311 Website (Click)