In 1892, the City Council discussed the need for cemetery expansion.
The resolution adopted by City Council noted that "the old City
Cemetery (on Moctuzuma St.) is very near filled and the necessity exists
to designate new grounds for a burying place". The resolution noted
that "the present cemetery is a disgrace to the City... and authorized
the Mayor to advertise for bids for the purchase of four City Blocks
adjoining each other to be set aside as City Cemetery....and that the
cemetery should be enclosed with a substantial board fence and the streets
dividing the blocks shall be declared closed.... The whole plot of ground
shall then be laid out in squares with properly graveled walks under
the direction of the City Engineer" (City Minute Book).
The City Cemetery was established by ordinance on December 6, 1892.
Originally, the cemetery was bounded on the north by Saunders,
south by Locust, east by Buena Vista, and west by Stone, a site north
the Heights neighborhood at what was then the outskirts of the
city. The City ordinance which dedicated the City Cemetery land provided
a police officer to "give the constant personal attention to the
cemetery under the direction of the City Council" and the establishment
of a "cemetery fund from burial proceeds to fund the purchase
of the property and the salary of the Sexton and other expenses." Additionally
a cemetery committee of three members was established to make further
regulations for the management of the cemetery: M. Deutz, F.B. Earnest
and C.F. Yaeger. In 1901, the City Cemetery board of trustees were
J.M. Slaughter, George C. Woodman, and D.H. Randolph. From 1909-1913,
Justo Penn, D.C. de La Chica, and I. Alexander served as cemetery trustees.
From 1917-1940, Tomás Arispe served as sexton.
A smallpox epidemic spread out of northern Mexico in 1898, and by October
the public officials were in a panic. Despite efforts to contain
the disease through vaccination and the closing of public places
churches and schools, smallpox ran unabated in Laredo. The little
children of Laredo suffered the full effects of the disease. Funeral
with tiny wooden coffins, remained a daily ritual (Thompson, 1986).
Those who lived through the terrible days of 1899 would never forget
this cttywide tragedy.