CITY OF LAREDO
CITY COUNCIL MEETING
LAREDO, TEXAS 78040
MARCH 19, 2001
DISABILITY ACCESS STATEMENT
Persons with disabilities who plan to attend this meeting and who may need auxiliary aid or services are requested to contact Gustavo Guevara, City Secretary at (956) 791-7308 at least two working days prior to the meeting so that appropriate arrangements can be made. The accessible entrance and accessible parking spaces are located at City Hall, 1100 Victoria Ave.
Out of Consideration for all attendees of the City Council meetings, please turn off all cellular phones and pagers, or place on inaudible signal. Thank you for your consideration.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL
Approval of the minutes of January 22, 2001.
a. Recognition of twenty five (25) City of Laredo Firefighters for being the first class to receive the Haz Mat Technician Certification now required by the Texas Commission on Fire Protection.
1. Public hearing establishing a 15% penalty on the 2000 delinquent tax accounts as of July 1, 2001 to defray costs of collection pursuant to section 33.07 (a) of the Texas State Property Tax Code; providing for publication and effective date.
INTRODUCTION OF AN ORDINANCE
Establishing a 15% penalty on the 2000 delinquent tax accounts as of July 1, 2001 to defray costs of collection pursuant to section 33.07 (a) of the Texas State Property Tax Code; providing for publication and effective date.
2. Public hearing amending the City of Laredo FY 2000-2001 budget in the amount of $7,500.00 in additional funds for the Chronic Disease Prevention Program, Breast and Cervical Cancer Control Project (BCCCP), of the City of Laredo Health Department for the period beginning September 1, 2000, through August 31, 2001.
INTRODUCTION OF AN ORDINANCE
Amending the City of Laredo FY 2000-2001 budget in the amount of $7,500.00 in additional funds for the Chronic Disease Prevention Program, Breast and Cervical Cancer Control Project (BCCCP), of the City of Laredo Health Department for the period beginning September 1, 2000, through August 31, 2001.
3. Public hearing authorizing the City Manager to execute a Budget Amendment to appropriate State Funds from the Texas Department of Transportation State Project No. VCR 0101 (22), Contract No. #5112256004 in the amount of $574,793.00 providing for a local match of $166.00 from the Transit Sales Tax Proceeds Budget Reserve Account No. 518-5162-584-9900.
INTRODUCTION OF AN ORDINANCE
Authorizing the City Manager to execute a Budget Amendment to appropriate State Funds from the Texas Department of Transportation State Project No. VCR 0101 (22), Contract No. #5112256004 in the amount of $574,793.00 providing for a local match of $166.00 from the Transit Sales Tax Proceeds Budget Reserve Account No. 518-5162-584-9900.
VIII. GENERAL COUNCIL DISCUSSIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
4. A. Request by Council Member Alfredo Agredano
1. Discussion with possible action on placing a traffic signal at the intersection of HWY 83 and Cielito Lindo Road.
B. Request by Council Member Johnny Amaya
1. Status of traffic signal at Saunders St. and Buena Vista St., with possible action.
2. Discussion on complaints of water runoff to the intersection of Lyon St. and Tilden St., with possible action.
C. Request by Council Member Eliseo Valdez, Jr.
1. Status report on the notice to proceed for the creek-cleaning contract at Zacate Creek Linear Park, with possible action.
2. Status of the improvements to the Eistetter Park, Cruz Field Park, and other Rio Grande Little League Fields, with possible action.
3. Status report on the police initiatives to curb vandalism to city parks, with possible action.
D. Request by Mayor Pro-Tempore Joe A. Guerra
1. Status report on the traffic conditions along Shiloh Blvd. as a result of the meetings with the various neighborhood groups, with possible action.
2. Status report on the Speed Hump Program as it concerns District VI, with possible action.
E. Request by Council Member Jose A. Valdez, Jr.
1. Requesting staff to prepare a cost estimate for the widening of the entrance to Rancho Viejo Subdivision, also known as Rancho Viejo Drive.
F. Request by Council Member Juan Ramirez
1. Motion to reconsider rescinding the action of Council regarding the traffic light on Garden St. and Salinas St. in front of Leyendecker Elementary School, with possible action.
2. Status report on the construction around the San Agustin Plaza, with possible action.
3. Status report on the old G.S.A. Property (old import lot), with possible action.
4. Discussion with possible action regarding the traffic study on the downtown area.
X. FINAL READINGS OF ORDINANCES
5. 2001-O-061 Amending the City of Laredo FY 2000-2001 budget in the amount of $148,672.00 for the HIV/AIDS Ryan White Title II Project of the City of Laredo Health Department for the period beginning April 1, 2001, through August 31, 2001. (City Council)
2001-O-062 Amending the City of Laredo 2000-2001 Annual Budget in the amount of $20,000.00 to appropriate the consideration fees paid by proponents at the time of their proposal submittal to defray the cost of the privatization study. (City Council)
2001-O-063 An ordinance amending Ordinance #99-0-165 by authorizing the City Manager to execute a Site Ground Lease Agreement Addendum to that certain Ground Lease between the City of Laredo and Omni America Development Corp., dated June 21, 1999 for additional ground space of approximately 250.0 square feet located at the City of Laredo Calton Road Fire Station. Annual Rent will be increased by $3,850.00 prorated to coincide with the anniversary of the lease commencement date and on the first day of each year of the lease commencement anniversary date thereafter. All other terms and conditions of the lease remain in full force and effect. (City Council)
2001-O-064 An ordinance authorizing the City Manager to execute a lease with Laredo Independent School District for approximately 9,216 square feet constituting Building No. 1325 located at 4103 Maher Avenue at the Laredo International Airport. Lease term is for one (1) year commencing on March 1, 2001 and ending on February 28, 2002, and may be extended for one (1) year ending on February 28, 2003. However, it is agreed by the parties that the lease may be terminated by either party on not less than thirty (30) days’ written notice from the party terminating to the other. Monthly rent shall be $2,305.00 and will be adjusted annually during the primary and extension term of this lease according to changes in the Consumer Price Index; providing for an effective date. (City Council)
6. 2001-R-030 A resolution amending the City of Laredo International Airport Noise Compatibility Program Policy Guide, to include a provision that, for homes purchased under the City of Laredo International Airport Noise Compatibility Program, a person selling his/her property to the City of Laredo, shall be eligible for one (1) month rent-free on the acquired property, and that thereafter; he/she shall be required to enter into a rental agreement, unless the replacement housing unit will be newly-constructed, in which case the seller may have up to three (3) months rent-free.
7. 2001-R-031 A resolution authorizing the City Manager to submit a grant application to the Office of the Governor, Criminal Justice Division in the amount of $80,000.00 with the City designating $35,000.00 in matching funds for a total of $115,000.00 for funding a Domestic Violence Grant under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) for the period of June 01, 2001 through May 30, 2002.
8. 2001-R-033 A resolution declaring the City of Laredo’s opposition to the proposed Regional Landfill on Highway 359.
9. Consideration to cancel the City Council meeting of March 26, 2001 due to the Washington D.C. trip by Mayor, Council Members and the City staff.
10. Consideration to refund the property tax to the following taxpayers and companies:
1. A refund in the amount of $534.51 payable to NETS Electronic Tax Service due to an overpayment.
2. A refund in the amount of $2,496.53 payable to Burlington Coat Factory due to a District Court Order #C-95-01161-D2.
3. A refund in the amount of $724.06 payable to First American Real Estate due to a payment made in error on behalf of First Nationwide Mortgage.
4. A refund in the amount of $880.56 payable to Laredo National Bank due to a double payment on behalf of Border Title Abstract Company and Laredo National Bank.
5. A refund in the amount of $559.95 payable to International Bank of Commerce. The bank paid the account in error; therefore, they are requesting the refund.
6. A refund in the amount of $1,444.57 payable to National Bank of Commerce due to an account paid in error. The bank paid in error; therefore, they are requesting a refund.
11. Consideration to approve monthly adjustments to the tax roll. The amount to be adjusted for the month of February 2001, which represents a decrease in levy, is $6,058.39. These adjustments are determined by the Webb County Appraisal District and by Court Order.
12. Consideration to authorize the purchase of two replacement ambulances for the Fire Department through the Houston Galveston Area Council of Governments (HGAC) - Cooperative Purchasing Program, in the total amount of $242,000.00. These ambulances will be delivered within ninety days and are replacements for two 1995 units. Funding is available in the 2000-A Public Property Finance Contractual Obligation bond proceeds.
13. Consideration to award a service contract to Central Power and Light (AEP), Laredo, Texas, in the estimated amount of $400,000.00, for the installation and upgrade of all streetlights located in the public right of way, as requested by the Traffic Department, for new roadways or for improving citywide illumination and for the installation of new street lights for illuminating City Departmental buildings, parking areas, and public parks. Funding will be available in the Traffic Department budget and City Projects.
14. Consideration to authorize the purchase of computers through the State of Texas - Department of Information Resources (DIR) cooperative purchase contracts, for all City Departments. The City is able to utilize the Department of Information Resources purchasing power in acquiring information systems such as personal computers. Funding for these items are available in the respective Department's capital outlay budget.
15. Consideration to award a service contract FY01-050, to the LOW BIDDER, Brite Star Services, Laredo, Texas, in the estimated amount of $24,395.80, for providing weekly floor mats and dust mops replacement service for all city departments. The contract requires that the vendor provide clean floor mats and dust mops and handles used by the custodial staff to clean municipal buildings. Funding is available in the respective departmental budgets.
16. Consideration to award contract number 01-055, to the MOST RESPONSIVE PROPOSER, Cingular Wireless (formerly Southwestern Mobile Systems), Laredo, Texas, in the estimated amount of $180,000.00 per year, for providing cellular phone service for all city departments. The contract term will be for a period of two years. A five-member employee committee reviewed and evaluated the four proposals submitted by cellular phone providers. Each proposal was evaluated based on proposed coverage areas, service capabilities, usage cost, and equipment proposed. The contract pricing is approximately the same as the previous contract period. Funds for this service is available from the user department's communication budget.
17. Consideration to recommend the approval of the architectural plans submitted by FedJones, airport tenant, regarding the proposed construction of an approximate 33,000 square feet 30-van package sorting facility located at the Laredo International Airport along the Bob Bullock Loop Road.
18. Consideration to award a contract to Montgomery Watson, Inc. of Dallas, Texas for $363,285.00 for study, design, and bidding services for completion of the chlorine and ammonia systems improvement project for the water and wastewater treatment plants. Funding is available under FY00 Bond Funds.
19. Amend the City of Laredo’s Consolidated Plan to increase the number of Tenant Based Rental Assistance (TBRA) coupons for the downtown area from 50 low-income elderly residents of the City of Laredo to 100 low-income elderly residents. The Department of Community Development is also requesting the approval to use the 1996 HOME New Construction fund balance in the amount of $233,924.39 to fund these additional TBRA coupons. Assistance to each of the 50 residents is an estimated $200/mo. for the contract period of 2 years.
20. Consideration to authorize the City Manager to renew a contract with the Laredo Chamber of Commerce to share in the cost of operation of the “InfoCenter,” located in the Monterrey, Mexico, with an April 1, 2001 effective date. Total cost to the City of Laredo is $21,500.00. Funding is available in the LCVB Budget.
XIV. EXECUTIVE SESSION
21. Request for Executive Session pursuant to Texas Government Code § 551.071 (1)(A) & (B) to consult with City Attorney regarding contemplated litigation and settlement offer in regards to Jaime Bryand, Patricio Ramos, Hector Mario Garcia, Juan Manuel Gala, Angel M. Torres, Senon Cadena, Hildebrando Rendon, Jose A. Lerma, Rolando N. Mojica, Daniel Gonzalez, Jr., Maria Dolores Mendoza, Juan Guevara, Lauro Pablo Valdez, Monica Serna and Roberto Ocampo v. Laredo Metro, Inc., and Laredo Municipal Transit, Cause NO. L-00CV82, in the U.S. District Court of Texas Laredo Division, and return to open session for possible action.
XV. RECESS AND CONVENE AS THE LAREDO MASS TRANSIT BOARD
22. Consideration to award the contract to Texas Bus Sales for the purchase of ten (10) Type II Paratransit vehicles at a bid price of $55,694.00 each including options, totaling $556,940.00. This bid received was determined as the lowest most qualified bid by the Community Council of Southwest Texas, Inc., Uvalde, Texas. Funding is available in the Sales Tax Reserve Account.
23. 2001-RT-002 A resolution authorizing the City Manager to accept and execute all amendments for Grant Agreement No. 51922F6007 between the City of Laredo and the Texas Department of Transportation that extend the contract termination period up to such time as the buses covered in this grant are delivered.
This notice was posted at the Municipal Government Offices, 1110 Houston Street, Laredo, Texas, at a place convenient and readily accessible to the public at all times. Said notice was posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2001 at 6:00 p.m.
Gustavo Guevara, Jr.