CITY OF LAREDO
CITY COUNCIL MEETING
LAREDO, TEXAS 78040
APRIL 16, 2001
DISABILITY ACCESS STATEMENT
Persons with disabilities who plan to attend this meeting and who may need auxiliary aid or services are requested to contact Gustavo Guevara, City Secretary at (956) 791-7308 at least two working days prior to the meeting so that appropriate arrangements can be made. The accessible entrance and accessible parking spaces are located at City Hall, 1100 Victoria Ave.
Out of Consideration for all attendees of the City Council meetings, please turn off all cellular phones and pagers, or place on inaudible signal. Thank you for your consideration.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL
Approval of the minutes of March 5, 2001, and March 19, 2001.
a. Special announcement from Mayor Flores to the City Council and the people of Laredo concerning an invitation by Secretary Of Defense Donald H. Rumsfeld.
a. Recognizing Officer Andres Maldonado and his K-9, Arak, for placing first in the National Narcotic Detector Dog Association competition held in El Paso, Texas, on April 6, 2001. Placing sixth was Officer Gerardo Lerma and his K-9, Daisy. A total of 140 teams participated in this event consisting of several law enforcement agencies.
b. Recognizing 14 students from local middle schools who have been chosen as “Eighth Grader of the Month” for April by the Laredo Police Department Community Relations Unit and local school counselors.
a. Presentation of the 2000 Employee Leadership Development Class.
a. Appointment by Mayor Elizabeth G. Flores to the STDC Board of Mayor Pro Tempore Joe A. Guerra, Cm. Eliseo Valdez, Jr., and Cm. Alfredo Agredano as the representatives of the City elected officials. Also Gil Lopez and Evan Quiros as the “non-governmental” appointees representing business and community based organizations. The following staff members are to be considered alternates for the elected officials: Keith Selman, City Planner; Erasmo Villareal, Community Development Director; and Oscar Medina, Public Works Assistant Director.
b. Appointment of Rolando Gallegos by Council Member Johnny Amaya to the Third Party Funding.
1. Public hearing amending the City of Laredo Code of Ordinances Chapter 12, entitled Fire Protection and Prevention, by amending Section 12-2, Fire Prevention Code-Adopted, and adopting the 2000 Edition of the International Fire Code; Section 12-3 same amendments, by adopting four supplementations to the 2000 Edition of the International Fire Code as adopted in Section 12-2; creating Section 12-6 Life Safety Code 101 and Handbook-Adopted; providing for severability; publication and effective date.
INTRODUCTION OF AN ORDINANCE
Amending the City of Laredo Code of Ordinances Chapter 12, entitled Fire Protection and Prevention, by amending Section 12-2, Fire Prevention Code-Adopted, and adopting the 2000 Edition of the International Fire Code; Section 12-3 same amendments, by adopting four supplementations to the 2000 Edition of the International Fire Code as adopted in Section 12-2; creating Section 12-6 Life Safety Code 101 and Handbook-Adopted; providing for severability; publication and effective date.
VIII. GENERAL COUNCIL DISCUSSIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
1. Request by the Veterans Coalition for additional Third Party Funding to cover veterans’ services under the current contract for the rest of the fiscal year.
B. Request by Council Member Louis H. Bruni
1. Discussion on changing Ejido Avenue as a one-way street going north from Market Street to Guadalupe Street, with possible action.
2. Status report on the signalization at Del Mar Blvd. and Loop 20 and at Jacaman Road and McPherson, with possible action.
3. Request for a report from the Airport Director on information and discussion at the Airport Advisory Committee meeting dated April 4, 2001, with possible action.
4. Discussion on the power outage incident by Southwestern Bell and CPL and discussion on procedures by staff in such incidents. (Co-sponsored by Mayor Pro-Tempore Joe A. Guerra)
C. Request by Council Member John C. Galo
1. Staff report on a traffic study to be conducted at Gustavus St. and Marcella St. that will indicate the type of signalization needed, with possible action.
D. Request by Mayor Pro-Tempore Joe A. Guerra
1. Status of the privatization and secondary water issue at the Utilities Department, with possible action.
E. Request by Council Member Jose A. Valdez, Jr.
1. Discussion with possible action on Parks & Recreational Equipment for District VII.
2. Discussion with possible action on traffic improvements in District VII.
F. Request by Council Member Juan Ramirez
1. Discussion with possible on the repair and operation of water fountain at Bruni Plaza.
2. Discussion with possible action on the AD Hoc Transit Committee.
3. Discussion with possible action on Police Station #5, located 1000 block of Farragut at the HEB Supermarket with regards to the lack of restroom facilities, and transfer of the Police Station to area near Bridge I (Export Lot).
4. Status report on the 2 ambulances approved by council, and status on the applicants for Fire Chief, with possible action.
IX. FINAL READINGS OF ORDINANCES
3. 2001-O-068 Amending the City of Laredo’s Code of Ordinances Chapter 2, Article II, Sec. 2-16, which sets forth the departments of the city, by creating the Environmental Services Department; providing for an effective date and amending the City of Laredo FY 2000-2001 annual budget by creating two positions within the Environmental Services Department which will be funded from reserves by the N.P.D.E.S. Fund and the Hazardous Materials Fund and authorize the City Manager to implement said budget. (City Council)
2001-O-069 Amending the Zoning Ordinance (Map) of the City of Laredo by rezoning Lots 1, 2, 3, and 4, Block 1345, Eastern Division, located at 2315 Chihuahua St., from R-O (Residential-Office District) and B-1 (Limited Commercial District) to B-3 (Community Business District); providing for publication and effective date. (Council Member John C. Galo)
2001-O-070 Amending the Zoning Ordinance (Map) of the City of Laredo by rezoning 20.73 acres, as further described by metes and bounds, located north of Cielito Lindo Blvd. and east of St. David St., from AG (Agricultural District) to R-1A (Single Family Reduced Area District); providing for publication and effective date. (Council Member Alfredo Agredano)
2001-O-071 Amending the Zoning Ordinance (Map) of the City of Laredo by rezoning the north 57 ft. of Lot 12, Block 685, Eastern Division, located at 1202 Gustavus St., from R-2 (Multi-Family Residential District) to B-1 (Limited Commercial District); providing for publication and effective date. (As Amended) (Council Member Johnny Amaya)
2001-O-072 Amending the Zoning Ordinance (Map) of the City of Laredo by rezoning Lot 2, Block 245, Western Division, located at 620 Coke St., from B-1 (Limited Commercial District) to B-3 (Community Business District); providing for publication and effective date. (City Council)
2001-O-073 Authorizing the issuance of a Special Use Permit for sand and gravel sales and storage, on 10 acres, as further described by metes and bounds, located at 18015 FM 1472; providing for publication and effective date. (Council Member Jose Valdez, Jr.)
2001-O-074 Amending the City of Laredo FY 2000-2001 Annual Budget in the amount of $70,000.00 for a donation by the Friends of the Library, Laredo, Texas, Inc., providing for effective date. (City Council)
2001-O-076 Creating a Special Revenue Fund to account for the proceeds of a one-fourth of one cent sales and use tax and the related debt service, and to appropriate revenues and expenditures in the amount of $2,265,914.00 for FY2000-2001; creating a Capital Project Fund to account for bond proceeds for the construction of the arena facility, and to appropriate revenues and expenditures in the amount of $35,500,000.00 for FY2000-2001; and authorizing the City Manager to implement such budget and fund in current and future city budgets. (City Council)
2001-O-077 An ordinance authorizing the City Manager to execute a lease with Border Area Nutrition Council for approximately 481 square feet constituting Suite No. 25 of Building No. S-1 located at 1718 E. Calton Road at the Laredo International Airport. Lease term is for one (1) year commencing on January 1, 2001, and ending on December 31, 2001, and may be extended for two (2) terms of one (1) year each ending on December 31, 2002, and December 31, 2003. Monthly rent shall be $600.00 and will be adjusted annually during the primary and extension terms of this lease according to changes in the Consumer Price Index; providing for effective date. (City Council)
2001-O-078 An ordinance to authorize the City Manager to execute lease with Kiwanis International for a tract of land containing approximately 4.95 acres located on Block 1 at the Laredo International Airport. Lease term is for three (3) days commencing on April 20, 2001, and ending on April 22, 2001. Rent shall be $1,800.00; providing for effective date. (City Council)
2001-O-079 An ordinance closing as a public easement that section of the 300 block of Laredo St. between Springfield Ave. and the east right-of-way line of the Texas Mexican Railroad Co. situated in the Eastern Division, City of Laredo, County of Webb, Texas and providing for an effective date.
4. 2001-R-041 A resolution declaring the public necessity to acquire the “Surface Only” of six parcels of land for the Riverfront Development Project. Said six parcels being as follows: Parcel 1- Lots 1 & 2, Block E; Parcel 2- Lots 3 & 4, Block E; Parcel 3- Lot 5, Block E; Parcel 4- Lots 2 & 3, Block D, Parcel 5- Lots 7 & 8, Block B; Parcel 6- Lots 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 8, 9, & 10, Block 395; all being situated in the Western Division, City of Laredo, Webb County, Texas, between the Zacate Creek and San Francisco Ave., Water and Piedregal Streets, being delineated on attached copy of City Plat; and authorizing staff to negotiate with the owners for the acquisition of said six parcels by purchase at a market value to be established by a State Certified Real Estate Appraiser, and further authorizing the City Attorney to initiate condemnation proceedings to acquire those parcels that staff is unable to acquire through negotiations due to inability to agree to a purchase price, conflict of ownership, owner refusal to sell, and/or inability to locate a listed owner.
5. 2001-R-042 A resolution accepting the assignment of 2.698 acre feet of municipal water rights from the balance of 455.6335 acre feet deeded to the City of Laredo by Vaquillas Ranch Company, Ltd. for the installation of two (2) one (1) inch water meters in connection with the final plat of Concord Hills Community Phases IV and VI.
6. 2001-R-043 A resolution confirming the appointment of Blas Castañeda by the City Manager as a member of the Fire Fighters’ & Police Officers’ Civil Service Commission of the City of Laredo.
7. 2001-R-044 A resolution confirming the appointment of Representatives from the City of Laredo to serve on the Board of Directors of the South Texas Development Council.
8. 2001-R-045 A resolution authorizing the City Manager to submit an application to the United States Environmental Protection Agency for a grant in the amount of $40,000.00 with the City designating $10,000.00 in matching funds and/or in-kind services for a total of $50,000.00 to implement a Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator (CESQG) Hazardous Waste Collection Event.
9. 2001-R-047 A resolution expressing the support of the City Council, of the City of Laredo towards the development of Clark’s Crossing Apartments, a proposed affordable housing community of approximately 160 affordable housing units by Metro Affordable Housing Corporation. Affordable housing will be provided to the citizens of the City of Laredo contingent upon the approval of the submission of a State of Texas Home Application under the Home Investments Partnership Program and the approval of the application submitted to the Texas State Department of Housing and Community Affairs for Housing Tax Credits under Section 42 of the Internal Revenue Code.
10. Consideration to approve Amendment No.13, an increase of $301,673.90 to the engineering contract with Hellmuth, Obata & Kassabaum, (HOK), Dallas, Texas for additional engineering services to include the redesign, repackage, bidding, and construction administration services of the North Half Extension of Parallel Taxiway “J” at the Laredo International Airport. Funding is available from the FAA Grant Project No. 3-48-0136-27-00; said grant will pay 90 percent of the cost. The 10 percent local match is available in the Airport Land Acquisition Reimbursable account.
11. Consideration for approval to award a professional services contract to International Facilities Group, L.L.C. (IFG), Northbrook, Illinois, for an amount not to exceed $300,000.00 for consulting services relating to the review of design and construction of the Laredo Entertainment Center to be located west of Bob Bullock Loop at Sinatra Parkway. Funding is available in the Sports & Community Venue Consultant Fees.
12. Consideration to authorize the purchase of upgraded communication dispatch consoles for the Police Department communication system from Motorola, San Antonio, Texas, in the amount of $137,248.50, through the State of Texas - Qualified Information System Vendor (QISV) program. A total of four consoles are used by the Police Department radio communications technicians to dispatch and communicate with all police officers. Delivery and installation of this system is expected within ninety days. Funding for the purchase of this equipment is available in the Police Trust Fund.
13. Consideration to authorize the purchase of two replacement street sweepers for the Public Works Department through the Houston Galveston Area Council of Governments (HGAC) - Cooperative Purchasing Program, in the total amount of $218,898.40. These sweepers will be delivered within four months and are replacements for two 1990 sweepers. Funding is available in the 2000-A Public Property Finance Contractual Obligation bond proceeds.
14. Ratifying the award of contract to L & M Construction for $12,682.50 for the San Agustin Plaza Brick Paving Repairs and amending the contract for $12,292.50 to repair approximately 3800 square feet of brick at the intersection of Grant & Flores, Grant & San Agustin and San Agustin & Zaragoza to complete the repairs of the San Agustin Plaza associated with recent wastewater line repairs. Funding is available in the Downtown Sewer Lines. This amendment brings the total contract amount to $24,975.00.
15. Consideration for acceptance of the On-Site Sewage Facility for the City of Laredo Solid Waste Administrative Offices at the City Landfill which was constructed by Guillermo Gallegos Backhoe Services of Laredo, Texas. Final construction contract amount is $42,500.00
16. Consideration to authorize the City Manager to submit a grant proposal to the Texas Department of Health in the amount of $200,500.00 for an innovation grant named “Mosquito Abatement Project” of the City of Laredo Health Department for the period beginning September 1, 2001, through August 31, 2003.
17. Consideration to approve the monthly adjustments to the tax roll. The amount to be adjusted for the month of March 2001, which represents a decrease in levy, is $8,379.10. These adjustments are determined by the Webb County Appraisal District and by Court Orders.
18. Consideration to refund property tax to the following taxpayers and companies:
a. A refund in the amount of $2,835.13 payable to Mercy Hospital of Laredo due to a Webb County Appraisal District change of value.
b. A refund in the amount of $1,199.80 payable to the Graham Central Station due to a Webb County Appraisal District change of value.
c. A refund in the amount of $6,578.90 payable to Border Abstract and Title Company, Inc., due to a double payment.
d. A refund in the amount of $2,194.56 payable to Luis Carlos Lopez due to the prior owner not being able to pass a clear title of the property; therefore, the prior owner will be liable for the taxes and any other charges.
e. A refund in the amount of $563.10 payable to Hilltop Farm, Ltd., due to a Webb County Appraisal District change of value.
f. A refund in the amount of $1,955.41 payable to Hilltop Farm, Ltd., due to a Webb County Appraisal District change of value.
g. A refund in the amount of $2,818.10 payable to QSR Burgers One, LP, due to a double payment.
This notice was posted at the Municipal Government Offices, 1110 Houston Street, Laredo, Texas, at a place convenient and readily accessible to the public at all times. Said notice was posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2001 at 6:00 p.m.
Gustavo Guevara, Jr.