CITY OF LAREDO
CITY COUNCIL MEETING
LAREDO, TEXAS 78040
NOVEMBER 19, 2001
DISABILITY ACCESS STATEMENT
Persons with disabilities who plan to attend this meeting and who may need auxiliary aid or services are requested to contact Gustavo Guevara, City Secretary at (956) 791-7308 at least two working days prior to the meeting so that appropriate arrangements can be made. The accessible entrance and accessible parking spaces are located at City Hall, 1100 Victoria Ave.
Out of Consideration for all attendees of the City Council meetings, please turn off all cellular phones and pagers, or place on inaudible signal. Thank you for your consideration.
I. CALL TO ORDER
III. ROLL CALL
VI. PUBLIC HEARINGS
1a. Public hearing for the voluntary annexation of Tract 1: UISD Tract-10.00 acres, more or less; and
1b. Public hearing for the voluntary annexation of Tract 2: Mejia Tract-0.34 acres, more or less; and
1c. Public hearing for the voluntary annexation of Tract 3: Heirloom Tract-13.67 acres, more or less; and
1d. Public hearing for the voluntary annexation of Tract 4: FESCO Tract-66.126 acres, more or less; and
1e. Public hearing for the voluntary annexation of Tract 5: Flores Tract-0.96 acres, more or less; and
1f. Public hearing for the unilateral annexation of Tract 6: Tex-Mex Railway Tract-228.6075 acres, more or less; and
1g. Public hearing for the unilateral annexation of Tract 7: Lake/Life Downs Tract-776.19 acres, more or less; and
1h. Public hearing for the unilateral annexation of Tract 8: Larga Vista Tract-36.26 acres, more or less; and
1i. Public hearing for the unilateral annexation of Tract 9: Colombia Bridge Tract-137.8539 acres, more or less.
Voluntary annexations of Tracts 1 through 5 total 91.096 acres, more or less, and unilateral annexations of Tracts 6 through 9 total 1,178.9114 acres, more or less for a total of 1,270.0074 acres, as described in the tract summaries as required by Section 43.063 of the Texas Local Government Code.
2. Public hearing and introductory ordinance authorizing the City Manager to amend the City of Laredo FY 2001-2002 annual budget in the amount of $180,866 for the Laredo Multi Agency Narcotics Task Force. Funding is available in the opening balance of the Narcotics Task Force Fund. Funding in the amount of $92,866 will be used to pay overtime and benefits. The additional amount of $88,000 will be used to match the grant from November 1, 2001 through May 31, 2002.
3. Public hearing and introductory ordinance authorizing the City Manager to amend the City of Laredo FY 2001-2002 annual budget in the amount of $40,000 for overtime and travel expenses for four Laredo Police Department Investigators and four Webb County Narcotics Investigators from October 20, 2001 through September 30, 2002. This overtime is reimbursed 100% from an Organized Crime Drug Enforcement Task Force Agreement (OCDETF) in conjunction with the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the United States Department of Justice.
VII. GENERAL COUNCIL DISCUSSIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
4. A. Request by Council Member Juan Ramirez
1. Discussion of contract between the City of Laredo and Laredo
Metro, Inc., with possible action.
5. Amending Chapter 19, Motor Vehicles and Truck Traffic, Article XI Truck Traffic by specifically amending Section 19-435, Permit Issuance, to increase the width limits for oversize loads from sixteen feet to seventeen feet and the height limit from fourteen feet six inches to fifteen feet at the World Trade Bridge; providing for severability, an effective date and publication.
6. Authorizing the City Manager to execute a lease agreement with ASA Group, Ltd., for approximately 3.135 acres (136,560.60 square feet) constituting Tract 6 of Block 1 and approximately 3.135 acres (136,560.60 square feet) constituting Tract 7 of Block 1 of the Subdivision Plat of the Laredo International Airport Terminal Subdivision located at the Laredo International Airport. Lease term is for forty (40) years commencing on December 1, 2001 and ending on November 30, 2041. Monthly rent shall be $4,100.00 and will be adjusted annually according to changes in the Consumer Price Index and further adjusted by fair market value appraisal on the 10th, 20th and 30th anniversaries; providing for an effective date.
7. 2001-O-260 Amending the 2001-2002 Transit System budget by
appropriating $158,000 from fund balance and appropriating such funds as a reserve to partially fund the acquisition of buses.
2001-O-261 Authorizing the City Manager to amend Chapter 14, Garbage, Trash & Refuse, Article I, Section 14-1, Definitions; also Article II, Section 14-9, Rates, subsection (c) by deleting subparagraph (c)(4); adding subsection (d) Special Event Fee; deleting portions of subsection (e) garbage and mandate fees schedule, by changing the square footages and adjusting the rates for garbage collection; adding subsection (f) commercial establishments exclusions; adding subsection (g) Appeals Process; and amending subsections h to m to alphabetize each subsection correctly; providing for severability, effective date and publication.
2001-O-262 Amending the City of Laredo Home Investment Partnerships Program 2001-2002 grant in the amount of $1,508,000.00 to reflect a $4,000.00 increase to Community Housing Development Organizations and Administrative Costs, and authorizing the City Manager to implement said budget amendment.
2001-O-263 Amending the City of Laredo 2001-2002 annual budget in the amount of $30,000 for a Safe Streets Program Grant from the Texas Department of Transportation. The Texas Department of Transportation will be designating $22,500 and the City of Laredo will be designating $7,500 in matching funds. Matching funds are available in the general funds transfer in fund balance. (As amended)
2001-O-264 Authorizing the City Manager to amend the City of Laredo FY 2001-2002 annual budget in the amount of $125,000 to fund the Comprehensive STEP (S.T.O.M.P) Program. The Texas Department of Transportation will be designating $95,000 and the City of Laredo will be designating $30,000 in matching funds. The match for this grant is available in General Fund. The funding for this grant will be from October 1, 2001 through September 30, 2002.
2001-O-265 Authorizing the City Manager to amend the FY 2001-2002 budget in the amount of $44,968 for the Medicaid Administrative Cost (MAC) Project of the City of Laredo Health Department for the period beginning October 1, 2001, through September 30, 2002.
2001-O-266 Amending the FY 2001-2002 budget by transferring $59,217 in unexpended program income from the FY 2000-2001 fund balance to the current FY 2001-2002 budget for the Women and Children Health Program of the City of Laredo Health Department for the period of October 1, 2001, through September 30, 2002.
2001-O-267 Authorizing the City Manager to accept and execute all documentation from the Texas Department of Health for the HIV/AIDS Prevention and Education Project of the City of Laredo Health Department and appropriate said budget in the amount of $153,470 for the period beginning January 1, 2002, through December 31, 2002.
2001-O-270 Appointing Alfonso H. Ornelas, Jr., as Associate Municipal Court Judge for the City of Laredo for a limit of two (2) years; providing for effective date and severability.
2001-O-271 Closing as public easements those sections of:
A. Tacuba St. between the east right-of-way line of Union Pacific Railroad Company and the west right-of-way line of Sta. Maria Avenue including the intersections.
B. Davis Ave. between Chicago Street and the south right-of-way line of Ortiz Street.
C. Main Ave. between Chicago Street and the south right-of-way line of Ortiz Street.
Situated in the Western Division, City of Laredo, County of Webb, Texas; and,
D. Elm St. between Springfield and Monterrey Avenues including the intersections.
E. Sanders Ave. between Locust and Ash Streets.
F. Marcella Ave. between Locust and Ash Streets.
Situated in the Eastern Division, City of Laredo, County of Webb, Texas; and providing for an effective date.
2001-O-272 Closing the intersection of Jarvis Avenue at Market Street to vehicular traffic traveling in a Northerly and Southerly direction by barricading at the North and South right-of-way lines of said intersection, situated in the Eastern Division, City of Laredo, County of Webb and providing for an effective date. (As amended)
2001-O-273 Ratifying the City Manager’s acceptance of a grant in the amount of $34,000.00 from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and amendment of the FY 2001-2002 annual budget for the NPDES fund by appropriating the said grant revenue and local match of $10,000.00 to the appropriate expenditure accounts. The grant monies will be used for collection and disposal of Hazardous Materials from the Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator (CESQG). The local match is available in the NPDES Fund.
2001-O-274 Authorizing the City Manager to execute a lease with Texas Migrant Council for approximately 1,600 square feet constituting Suite No. 8 of Building No. 134 located at 4603 Maher Avenue at the Laredo International Airport. Lease term is for one (1) year and one (1) month commencing on October 1, 2001 and ending October 31, 2002. Monthly rent shall be $1,800.00; providing for an effective date.
2001-O-275 Authorizing the City Manager to execute a lease with Howland Surveying, Co., Inc. for approximately 6,174 square feet constituting Suite No. 100 Building No. 170 located at 5103 Maher Avenue at the Laredo International Airport. Lease term is for one year commencing on December 1, 2001 and ending on November 30, 2002. Monthly rent shall be $2,532.00; providing for an effective date.
8. 2001-R-130 Accepting the assignment of .645 acre feet of municipal water rights from the balance of 21.33391 acre feet deeded to the City of Laredo by Richard E. Haynes in payment of water availability charges in connection with the final plat of James Haynes Industrial Park, Unit IV.
9. 2001-R-132 Renaming of the park facility currently known as Zacate Creek Little League Park located at Lyon Street and San Francisco Avenue to the Jose “Pepe” Moreno Park in memory of his work with the youth of Laredo and years of service to the Laredo Little League.
10. 2001-R-136 Adopting the amended Parks and Recreation Master Plan, updated by Carter and Burgess Engineering Firm, to better reflect the changing needs of the community and prioritizing these park activities based on their assessment of a survey and the input of community representatives involved in this process.
11. Consideration to amend Motion dated September 17, 2001, to correct amount of award to Lambda Construction I, Ltd., New Braunfels, from $2,418,000 to $2,428,000 due to bid summation error, for the Jefferson Street Water Treatment Plant 60 MGD High Service Pump Station. The amendment does not affect the bid results of Lambda Construction I, Ltd. of being the lowest bidder.
12. Consideration for acceptance of the Elevated Storage Tank Improvements Project and approval of final payment in the amount of $33,775.00 which includes a retainage reduction in the amount of $29,340.00 for the completion of the contract in the amount of $193,750.00. Funding is available in the Elevated Tanks Improvement Project-Retainage Payable.
13. Authorizing the City Manager to amend a contract with CH2MHILL Engineers, of San Antonio, Texas, for an amount not to exceed $55,900.00 for a total contract of $250,900.00, for Project Management Services for the Secondary Water Supply Project. The services include evaluation of the proposals, presentation and discussion of the evaluation of proposals with the Water Issues Committee and City Council, preparation and review of draft Letter of Intent and preparation of the final Letter or Intent.
15. Consideration to amend a contract with Foster Engineering, Co., Laredo, Texas for $97,500.00 to include additional surveying services required to acquire easements for water and wastewater lines at Old Milwaukee. The amendment brings the total contract amount to $399,800.00. Funding is available in the Colonias Fund Project Engineering Fees Account.
16. Consideration to award contract number FY 02-022 to the Sole Bidder, Leno Industries, Inc., of Pittsfield, MA, in the amount of $182,443.00, for the purchase of an armored response vehicle for the Police Department. Delivery is anticipated within one hundred and twenty days. Funding is available in the Police Trust Fund.
17. Approving monthly adjustments to the tax roll. The amount to be adjusted for the month of October 2001 represents a decrease in levy of $8,881.82. These adjustments are determined by the Webb County Appraisal District and court orders.
19. Consideration to approve 28 General Fund Third Party Funding contracts. The contracts are for the Fiscal Year October 1, 2001 through September 30, 2002 and total $555,420.
Bringing Everyone Special Together $ 14,063
Border Area Nutrition Council $ 35,000
Boy’s & Girls Club of Laredo $ 90,000
Boy Scouts Gulf Coast Council $ 18,000
Casa de Misericordia $ 15,000
Catholic Social Services $ 15,000
Club Olympia $ 4,500
Communities in Schools $ 15,000
Community Action Agency – Elderly Nutrition Program $ 20,000
Community Action Agency – Meals on Wheels $ 19,000
Girl Scouts Paisano Council $ 10,000
Int’l Sports Hall of Fame $ 3,600
Laredo Crime Stoppers $ 15,000
LISD Campus Crime Stoppers $ 7,500
Laredo Little Theater $ 27,055
Laredo Regional Food Bank $ 20,000
Laredo Webb County Child Welfare Board $ 5,202
Laredo Webb County Food Bank $ 30,000
Laredo Webb Neighborhood Housing Service $ 15,000
Laredo International Fair and Exposition $ 4,500
Literacy Volunteers of America $ 7,000
Rio Grande International Study Center $ 20,000
Rio Grande/Rio Bravo Basin Coalition $ 5,000
Ruthe B. Cowl Rehabilitation Center $ 75,000
Sacred Heart Children’s Home $ 5,000
South Texas Council on Alcohol and Drug Abuse $ 10,000
20. Consideration to approve 15 Hotel/Motel Fund Third Party Funding contracts. The contracts are for the Fiscal Year October 1, 2001 through September 30, 2002 and total $409,515.
Laredo Chamber of Commerce – Cola Blanca $ 9,000
LULAC #7 $ 5,000
LULAC #12 $ 5,000
Society of Martha Washington $ 10,000
Washington’s Birthday Celebration Association $ 23,000
Washington’s B-Day Celebration Assoc. Museum $ 15,000
Laredo Children’s Museum $ 50,000
Webb County Heritage Foundation $ 60,000
Laredo Center for the Arts $ 131,360
L.C.C. Dance/Music Community Productions $ 32,815
Laredo Philharmonic Chorale $ 2,340
Laredo Philharmonic Orchestra $ 37,000
T.A.M.I.U. Dance Productions $ 10,000
Border Olympics $ 9,000
21. Status report from Rene Gonzalez regarding the State House and Senate interim charges for standing committees.
The City Council hereby reserves the right to go into executive session at any time during this public meeting, when it deems it necessary to consult privately with its attorney about any item upon this agenda, pursuant to the provisions of Section 551.071(2) of the Texas Government Code.
22. Request for Executive Session pursuant to Texas Government Code 551.071 (1) (A) to consult with City Attorney regarding pending litigation, Michael R. Adelman, and Dynamic Publishing and Distributing L.L.C. v. City of Laredo, a Municipal Corporation, Cause L-01-156, United States District Court Southern District of Texas, and return to open session for possible action.
23. Request for Executive Session pursuant to Texas Government Code 551.071 (1) (A) to consult with City Attorney pending litigation, Richard J. Gonzalez and The Laredo Morning Times and Jessica Kent v. The City of Laredo, Texas Mayor Betty Flores, Council Members Alfredo Agradano, John Galo, Joe Guerra, Juan Ramirez and Eliseo Valdez, Jr., Cause No. 2001-CVQ001229-D2, in the District Court, 111th Judicial District, Webb County, Texas, and return to open session for possible action.
24. Request for Executive Session pursuant to Texas Government Code 551.071 (1) (A) to consult with City Attorney regarding pending litigation, Gilbert L. Leyendecker, and wife, June G. Leyendecker, and Leyendecker Properties, Ltd. vs. The City of Laredo, Texas, Alfredo Agredano, City Council Member, District I, Johnny Amaya, City Council Member, District IV, Eliseo Valdez, Jr., City Council Member, District V, Joe A. Guerra, City Council Member District VI, Jose Alberto Valdez, Jr., City Council Member, District VII, Juan Ramirez, City Council Member, District VIII, in their individual and official capacities, Cause No. 2001CVQ001635-D1, in the District Court, 49th Judicial District, Webb County, Texas and return to open session for possible action.
25. Request for Executive Session pursuant to Texas Government Code Section 551.072 in regards to deliberating the purchase, exchange, lease, or value of real property in the North Laredo area, because deliberation in an open meeting would have a detrimental effect on the position of the governmental body in negotiations with a third person; and return to open session for possible action.
This notice was posted at the Municipal Government Offices, 1110 Houston Street, Laredo, Texas, at a place convenient and readily accessible to the public at all times. Said notice was posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2001 at 6:00 p.m.
Gustavo Guevara, Jr.