CITY OF LAREDO
CITY COUNCIL MEETING
LAREDO, TEXAS 78040
MARCH 11, 2002
DISABILITY ACCESS STATEMENT
Persons with disabilities who plan to attend this meeting and who may need auxiliary aid or services are requested to contact Gustavo Guevara, City Secretary at (956) 791-7308 at least two working days prior to the meeting so that appropriate arrangements can be made. The accessible entrance and accessible parking spaces are located at City Hall, 1100 Victoria Ave.
Out of consideration for all attendees of the City Council meetings, please turn off all cellular phones and pagers, or place on inaudible signal. Thank you for your consideration.
I. CALL TO ORDER
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL
V. COMMUNICATIONS AND RECOGNITIONS
a. Recognition of the International Soccer League President and Board for their 2nd year youth soccer games at the Father McNaboe Park.
b. Recognition of the Laredo Police Department Community Relations Unit for winning 1st place honors in the WBCA Youth Parade (Best Commercial Float).
c. Recognition of the American Heart Walk participants.
a. Certificate presented to Mayor Elizabeth G. Flores by the New York Fire Department in appreciation to the contributions of the people of the City of Laredo.
b. Brief report on meetings held in Washington, D.C. on March 4, 2002 through March 6, 2002 by Mayor Elizabeth G. Flores, Council Member Alfredo Agredano, and Council Member Johnny Amaya.
VI. APPOINTMENTS TO COMMISSIONS, BOARDS AND COMMITTEES
VII. PUBLIC HEARINGS
1. Public hearing and introductory ordinance amending the City of Laredo fiscal year 2002 General Fund and Fire Training Facility Fund Budget by appropriating $1,500,000.00 for a transfer out to Fire Training Facility Fund from the General Fund and appropriating a transfer in and expenditure in the Fire/Law Enforcement Training Facility in the amount of $1,500,000.00 for the purpose of completing the Fire/Law Enforcement Training Facility. The amendment will draw down $1,500,000.00 from the General Fund opening balance as authorized by Section 6.04 of the City Charter that states “Excess carry over funds from a prior fiscal year may be appropriated in the ensuing fiscal year for a one time appropriations only.”
2. Public hearing and introductory ordinance authorizing the City Manager to accept and execute all documentation from the Texas Department of Health for the HIV Ryan White Title II Project of the City of Laredo Health Department in the amount of $151,764.00 for the period beginning April 1, 2002, through August 31, 2002, and amending the City of Laredo FY 2001-2002 budget in the same amount.
3. Public hearing and introductory ordinance authorizing the City Manager to amend Chapter 19, Motor Vehicle and Traffic, Article XI, Truck Traffic, Division 5, Truck Stopping, Standing and Parking, by adding two (2) new sections namely, Section 19-489 Controlled Access Parking Lots and Section 19-490, Parking Lot Rates and Hours of Operation, of Code of Ordinances, City of Laredo; authorizing the establishment of parking rates, enforcement regulations, and hours of operation at the Colombia Solidarity Bridge Export Lot, providing for effective date and publication.
4. Public hearing and introductory ordinance authorizing the City Manager to accept and execute the Federal Transit Administration Grant, section 5307, in the amount of $3,511,128.00 for Fiscal Year 2001-02 and amending the Transit Systems Operating budget by increasing the Federal Transit Administration Operating Grant contribution from $3,500,000.00 to $3,511,128.00 and decreasing the sales tax match for operating expenses from $2,733,648.00 to $2,722,520.00 and providing for grant funds to be deposited in the City of Laredo Transit Fund.
5. Public hearing and introductory ordinance authorizing the City Manager to amend the City of Laredo’s FY 2001-2002 Full Time Equivalent positions by amending the budget and creating one district chief and one captain for the International Fire Training Facility Division in the Fire Department. Funding for these positions is available in the reserve appropriations and will be transferred to the International Training Facility Division in the amount of $40,454.00.
VIII. GENERAL COUNCIL DISCUSSIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
6. A. Request by Council Member John C. Galo
1. Status on Chacon Creek clean up and Texas Parks & Wildlife Grant.
2. Operation Clean up for District III.
3. Authorizing allocation of $25,000.00 from discretionary funds for playground equipment for Santa Fe Park.
B. Request by Council Member Johnny Amaya
1. Status report on the Inner City Park.
C. Request by Mayor Pro-Tempore Eliseo Valdez, Jr.
1. Discussion with possible action regarding Casa Verde water sewer extension project. (Co-sponsored by Council Member Louis H. Bruni)
D. Request by Council Member Juan Ramirez
1. Discussion with possible action on the use of Las Palmas Park for the Easter Sunday Holiday.
2. Status report on the two city blocks owned by the City at River Drive Mall on Ventura and Piedregal.
3. Status report on 2615 San Agustin.
IX. INTRODUCTORY ORDINANCES
7. Authorizing the City Manager to execute a lease with Corpus Christi SMSA Limited Partnership, dba Cingular Wireless, by its general partner, Southwestern Bell Wireless, L.L.C. for ground space at the Fire Station located at 5210 Highway 359 Laredo, Webb County, Texas and being more fully described in exhibit “A” of lease agreement to construct on such premises a 100 feet high monopole and related equipment building for use with is communications business. Term of the lease is ten (10) years commencing March 25, 2002 and ending March 24, 2012 with three (3) successive renewal terms of five (5) years. Annual base rent shall be $8,400.00 each year during the term of the lease and will be adjusted by four percent (4%) on each anniversary of the commencement date, providing for publication and effective date.
8. Amending Ordinance 98-071 by authorizing the City Manager to execute an amendment to that certain ground lease between the City of Laredo and ATC Tower Services, dated October 20, 1998, for the purpose of correctly describing the property that the City of Laredo is leasing to ATC Tower Services. All terms and conditions of the lease remain in full force and effect.
X. FINAL READINGS OF ORDINANCES
9. 2002-O-037 Authorizing the City Manager to amend FY 2001-2002 budget in the amount of $17,833.00 in additional funds for the Tuberculosis Elimination Program of the City of Laredo Health Department for the period beginning September 1, 2001, through August 31, 2002.
2002-O-038 Authorizing the City Manager to accept and execute all documentation from the Texas Department of Health for the HIV/AIDS Housing Opportunities for Persons with AIDS Project of the City of Laredo Health Department in the amount of $55,072.00 in additional funds for the period beginning February 1, 2002, through January 31, 2003, amending the City of Laredo FY 2001-2002 budget in the same amount.
2002-O-039 Establishing a fee structure for Tecolote Baseball Game ticket prices at Veteran’s Field, including special rates for senior citizens age 55 and over as well as children 12 and under.
2002-O-040 Amending the Zoning Ordinance (Map) of the City of Laredo by rezoning 4.06 acres, as further described by metes and bounds in attached exhibit “A”, located south of Mines Road and approximately 5 miles west of La Bota Ranch Subdivision, from AG (Agricultural District) to M-1 (Light Manufacturing District); providing for publication and effective date. The Planning and Zoning Commission has recommended approval of the proposed zone change.
2002-O-041 Amending the Zoning Ordinance (Map) of the City of Laredo by rezoning Lot 252, Block 13, Del Mar Hills Subdivision, Section 1, Area “A”, located at #2 Lindenwood Drive, from R-1 (Single Family Residential District) to R-O (Residential-Office District); providing for publication and effective date. The Planning and Zoning Commission has recommended denial of the proposed zone change.
2002-O-042 Authorizing the issuance of a Special Use Permit to Harry E. Sames, III for an above ground fuel storage tank on Lot 1, Block 1, TXDOT-IH-35 Subdivision, Phase I, located at 6105 San Dario Avenue; providing for publication and effective date. The Planning and Zoning Commission has recommended approval of the proposed Special Use Permit.
2002-O-043 Amending the Zoning Ordinance (Map) of the City of Laredo by rezoning Lot 9, Block 1108, Western Division, located at 117 Houston Street from B-1 (Limited Commercial District) to B-3 (Community Business District); providing for publication and effective date. The Planning and Zoning Commission has recommended approval of the proposed zone change.
2002-O-045 Amending the Zoning Ordinance (Map) of the City of Laredo by rezoning 0.0145 acres, as further described by metes and bounds in attached exhibit “A”, located east of the Bob Bullock Loop and north of Del Mar Blvd. from R-1 (Single Family Residential District) to B-4 (Highway Commercial District); providing for publication and effective date. The Planning and Zoning Commission has recommended approval of the proposed zone change.
2002-O-046 Amending the City of Laredo FY 2001-2002 General Fund Budget by transferring $22,000.00 from the General Fund Reserve Appropriation. The amendment will withdraw $22,000.00 and transfer the monies to the Veterans Field Fund amending the Professional Services-Tecolotes Contract line item by $22,000. This transfer is for the purpose of fulfilling contractual obligations with Grupo Vision Empresarial d.b.a. Tecolotes de Los Dos Laredos.
2002-O-047 Amending Ordinance 2001-O-259 by adding voting precincts 227 and 250 to District II; defining and correcting boundary lines for precincts 227, 250, and 231; and providing for publication and effective date.
2002-O-048 Authorizing the City Manager to execute a lease renewal with Pinkerton for two office spaces totaling approximately 500 square feet and located at International Bridges I & II.
1. Lease term is for one (1) year commencing on November 1, 2001 and ending on October 31, 2002.
2. Monthly rent will be $2,000.00 for both properties.
3. City of Laredo may terminate this lease with ninety (90) days written notice.
2002-O-049 Authorizing the City Manager to accept and execute all documentation from the Texas Department of Health for the Tuberculosis Prevention/Control Federal Project of the City of Laredo Health Department in the amount of $161,793.00 for the period beginning January 1, 2002, through December 31, 2002, and amending the City of Laredo’s FY 2001-2002 budget in the same amount.
10. 2002-R-018 Authorizing the use of surplus proceeds from the City of Laredo - Public Property Finance Contractual Obligations (PPFCO), Series 2000-A, in the amount of $33,000.00, for the purchase of one, service truck and cutter mower attachment for the Parks and Recreation Department; and authorizing the purchase of this service truck through the Texas Local Government Purchasing Cooperative (Buy Board) contract from Lawrence Marshall Dealerships, Austin, Texas, in the total amount of $21,165.00.
11. 2002-R-020 Authorizing the use of surplus proceeds from the City of Laredo - Contractual Obligations, Series 97-B Certificate of Obligation, in the amount of $49,318.00, for the purchase of security system equipment for the City Hall building; and awarding contract number FY01-067, to the Low Bidder, AET, Inc., Laredo, Texas, in the amount of $49,318.00, for the purchase and installation of security equipment at the City Hall building. The system will include video surveillance, intrusion (alarm), and building access equipment.
12. 2002-R-021 Authorizing the City Manager to submit a grant application to the Office of the National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP) High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area (HIDTA) to fund the Laredo Financial Disruption Task Force at no cost to the City.
13. 2002-R-022 Authorizing the City Manager to submit a grant application to the Office of the National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP) High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area (HIDTA) to fund the Public Corruption Task Force at no cost to the City.
14. 2002-R-023 Authorizing the City Manager to submit an application to the United States Environmental Protection Agency for a grant in the amount of $150,000.00 with the City designating $7,500.00 in matching funds and/or in-kind services for a total of $157,500.00 to be used for a municipal storm water inspection training and Inflow/Infiltration study to identify sewer infiltration into the storm sewer system. Matching funds are available in the NPDES Fund.
15. 2002-R-024 Ordering and proclaiming a general city election to be held on Saturday, May 4, 2002; designating polling places; designating a run-off date; providing for publication; and authorizing the City Manager to enter into contract with the Webb County Elections Administrator for the purpose of conducting a joint election with the City of Laredo.
16. 2002-R-025 Resolution opposing the unilateral sponsorship and construction by Webb County of a bridge across the Rio Grande within the corporate city limits of the City of Laredo; refusing the consent of the City of Laredo to the construction by Webb County of a bridge across the Rio Grande River within the corporate limits of the City of Laredo; and setting forth reasons for such opposition and refusal of consent.
17. Consideration to award contract number FY 02-071, to the Sole Bidder, Naztec, Inc., Sugar Land, Texas, in the amount of $102,100.00 for the purchase of eight traffic signal cabinets and controllers. These will be installed at the following intersections: McPherson & Jacaman, Jacaman & Loop 20, Jacaman & Sinatra Parkway, San Francisco & US 59, Jefferson & San Francisco, Cielito Lindo & US 83, Wal-Mart entrance & Loop 20, and Del Mar & Country Club Drive. Funding is available in the Capital Improvement Project Fund, Sports and Community Venue Fund (Arena Project) and 1998 Contractual Obligations proceeds.
18. Motion to award a professional services contract to Garza, Martinez & Company, P.L.L.C., Certified Public Accountants for a period of two years in the amounts not to exceed $80,000.00 and $77,000.00 to provide audit services for fiscal year ending September 30, 2002 and for fiscal year ending September 30, 2003. Contract will be subject to future budget appropriation for fiscal year 2003 and 2004. Audit fees will be allocated to the professional services line item among the different funds to be audited.
19. Consideration for approval of amendment no. 2 an increase of $388,000.00 to the architectural/engineering contract with Frank Architects, Inc., Laredo, Texas, for the Gateway to the Americas Bridge (Bridge I) Access, Export Lot & Parking Lot Modifications to prepare construction documents, specifications and bid documents. Funding is available in the Bridge Improvements Project.
20. Approval of selection of consultant and authorization to negotiate a professional services contract with Carter & Burgess, Inc. Fort Worth, Texas to provide consulting services for the Texas Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (TPDES) storm water permit application project. The purpose of the project is to develop a comprehensive TPDES stormwater permit application for the City of Laredo to comply with the state and federal stormwater regulations. Funding is available in the NPDES Fund. The scope of services that include, but are not limited to the following elements.
1. Review and analyze the stormwater data for the last five years,
2. Review the legal authority, and produce the outfall information in GIS format,
3. Review the revenue and expenditure for the proposed permit compliance,
4. Prepare, submit and negotiate the permit with TNRCC to represent the City’s best interest to protect the waters of the United States,
5. Agency Coordination (TNRCC/EPA/IBWC/USACE etc.) for necessary permits and approval.
21. Rescinding the award of 2001 Emergency Shelter Grant (ESG) Funds of $15,200.00 to the local chapter of the Salvation Army as per the request of the same, and further authorizing the increase of 2001 ESG funds to the Laredo Webb County Community Action Agency (CAA) from $15,200.00 to $30,400.00 for the provision of homeless prevention assistance.
22. Consideration to award contract number FY02-070, for the purchase of vehicles authorized in the FY 02 budget to the following bidders:
Philpott Motors, Nederland, Tx. - $373,511.00
5 - Sport Utility Vehicles, 4 x 4 - $144,270.00 - Low Bidder Meeting Specifications
1 - Full Size Car - $20,594.00 – Low Bidder Meeting Specifications
1 - ½ ton Truck - $15,696.00 – Low Bidder
9 - ¾ ton Trucks, 4 dr. crew cab, long bed – $192,951.00 - Low Bidder
1 – Mini Passenger Van - $19,184.00 - Bidders Principal Place of Business Provision
1 – Mid Size Car- $13,484.00 – Low Bidder
9 – ½ ton Reg. Cab Truck, long bed - $131,787.00 – Bidders Principal Place of Business Provision
4 – ½ ton Trucks, 4 dr. crew cab, short bed - $98,700.00 – Low Bidder Meeting Specifications
1 - 8 passenger van - $17,974.00 - Low Bidder
2 - ¾ ton Cargo vans w/racks - $32,613.26 - Low Bidder Meeting Specifications
6 - ¾ Ton Ext. Cab Truck - $111,252.00 - Low Bidder Meeting Specifications
4 - ½ Ext. Cab Truck, short bed - $72,280.00 – Low Bidder
1 – ½ Ton Ext. Cab Truck, short bed, 4 x 4 - $20,711.00 – Low Bidder
23. Consideration for approval of change order no. 1 an increase of $28,600.00 to the construction with C.F. Jordan, L.P., El Paso, Texas, for the rehabilitation of concrete bridge deck, repairs, structural evaluation and assessment of load carrying capacity, and strengthening of the Laredo International Bridge 1 for the additional milling of unforeseen existing concrete topping and scarifying of the bridge deck. Funding is available in the Bridge System Toll Plaza Improvements.
24. Amending the City Capital Improvement Program Number 04-225-003 to include a sidewalk project for Stewart Street.
25. Award of a design build contract to Reliant Energy, in the amount not to exceed $455,985.00 and authorizing the City Manager to execute the necessary contract document for the design and build contract for a CNG fueling facility for the City of Laredo. Funding is available in the Fleet Management Fund.
26. Consideration to accept the Shiloh Drive Widening Project from IH 35 McPherson Road and approval of final payment in the amount of $62,533.70 to Price Construction, Inc. Laredo, Texas. Final contract amount is $609,392.10. Funding is available in the Shiloh Widening Project.
27. Consideration to award a professional services contract in the amount not to exceed $52,450.00 to Foster Engineering Company, Laredo, Texas, for surveying services along Chacon Creek from Rio Grande River to Hwy 359 in conjunction with the Chacon Creek Flood Management Program and Park Development. Funding is available in the CD Projects/Chacon Creek Improvements.
28. Authorizing City Manager to enter into contract with St. Augustine High School for use of Veterans Field for the 2002 baseball season and granting request to waive all existing fees.
29. Consideration to award a one year contract to Hector Chapa, Juan Gamez and Miguel Gamez d.b.a. J&H Concessions to provide food and beverage concessions as well as alcoholic beverage sales at Veterans Field for a twelve (12) month term. Services will be provided for the twenty (20) games for the 2002 season of the Tecolotes de Los Dos Laredos and any other event at Veterans Field. The concessionaire pays a 20-percent commission to the City of its gross sales on food, beverage and alcohol.
30. Consideration for the City of Laredo to renew their contract with Grupo Vision Empresarial, Nuevo Laredo, S.A. de C.V., a Mexican corporation operating as the Tecolotes de Los Dos Laredos of the professional “Triple-A” Mexican Baseball League for the 2002 season and in an amount not to exceed $150,000. The Tecolotes play twenty (20) games at Veterans Field.
31. Authorizing the City Manager to execute an Interim Agreement for Secondary Water Supply Services with the Laredo City Water Local Government Corporation, at a cost not to exceed $280,000.00, while completing negotiations for the Secondary Water Supply Agreement, and appropriating funds not to exceed $280,000.00 for such purpose from the Water Availability Fund.
XIII. STAFF REPORTS
32. Presentation by the Traffic Safety Department regarding the speeding concern within the Buena Vista Subdivision, with possible action.
33. Status report on the construction of a Veteran’s Monument at the Civic Center grounds.
XIV. EXECUTIVE SESSION
The City Council hereby reserves the right to go into executive session at any time during this public meeting, when it deems it necessary to consult privately with its attorney about any item upon this agenda, pursuant to the provisions of Section 551.071(2) of the Texas Government Code.
XV. RECESS AND CONVENE AS THE LAREDO MUNICIPAL HOUSING CORPORATION
34. Consideration to award contract number FY 02-070 to the Low Bidder, Boerne Chrysler, Boerne, Texas, in the amount of $18,070.00 for the purchase of one ½ ton extended cab truck and Paul Young Company, Laredo, Texas, in the amount of $14,643.00 for the purchase of one, ½ ton regular cab truck. Funding is available in the Municipal Housing budget. The truck being purchased from the Paul Young Company, Laredo, Texas is being secured using provisions of Section 271.905 of the Local Government Code that allow municipalities with a population less than 200,000 to consider the location of the bidders principal place of business in awarding contracts.
XVI. RECESS AND CONVENE AS THE LAREDO CITY WATER LOCAL
35. 2002-RW-002 Authorizing the President of The Laredo City Water Local Government Corporation to execute an advanced authorization to proceed agreement with MWH Americas, Inc. for interim work while finalizing negotiations for the Secondary Water Supply Agreement, at a cost not to exceed $280,000.00.
This notice was posted at the Municipal Government Offices, 1110 Houston Street, Laredo, Texas, at a place convenient and readily accessible to the public at all times. Said notice was posted on Wednesday, March 6, 2002 at 6:00 p.m.
Gustavo Guevara, Jr.