CITY OF LAREDO
CITY COUNCIL MEETING
LAREDO, TEXAS 78040
APRIL 15, 2002
DISABILITY ACCESS STATEMENT
Persons with disabilities who plan to attend this meeting and who may need auxiliary aid or services are requested to contact Gustavo Guevara, City Secretary at (956) 791-7308 at least two working days prior to the meeting so that appropriate arrangements can be made. The accessible entrance and accessible parking spaces are located at City Hall, 1100 Victoria Ave.
Out of consideration for all attendees of the City Council meetings, please turn off all cellular phones and pagers, or place on inaudible signal. Thank you for your consideration.
I. CALL TO ORDER
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL
V. COMMUNICATIONS AND RECOGNITIONS
a. Alexandra Ortiz and Alexia Quintero, 7th grade students from United Middle School, will sing National Anthem.
b. Presentation and demonstration of the Hercules Robot by the United Engineering and Technology Magnet staff and students.
a. Friends of the Library donation in the amount of $23,000.00 to the Laredo Public Library.
VI. APPOINTMENTS TO COMMISSIONS, BOARDS AND COMMITTEES
VII. PUBLIC HEARINGS
1. Public hearing granting Reliant Energy Entex, a division of Reliant Energy Resources Corp., and its successors, the right, privilege and franchise to construct, lay, maintain and operate pipelines and gas mains in, under, over, across and along, and to use present and future streets, alleys, public thoroughfares and grounds of the City of Laredo, for the purpose of transporting, distributing and selling gas (natural, artificial or mixed) for all purposes for which gas is or may be used to the municipality and inhabitants of said City of Laredo, Texas, and to any other person or persons, for a term of twenty years; providing for the manner of acceptance of this franchise by Entex; providing for payment by Entex to City for the rights and privileges granted by this franchise; and making miscellaneous provisions in connection therewith.
2. Public hearing and introductory ordinance amending the Fiscal Year 2001-2002 budget of the City of Laredo in the amount of $10,000.00 in additional funds from the Texas Department of Health for the HIV/AIDS Prevention and Education Project of the City of Laredo Health Department for the period beginning January 1, 2002, through December 31, 2002.
3. Public hearing and introductory ordinance authorizing the City Manager to amend the City of Laredo FY 2001-2002 annual budget by appropriating revenues and expenditures in the amount of $30,000.00 for Project Alcance. This program will support outreach and educational services of the Promotora Program. Driscoll Children’s Health Plans of Corpus Christi has awarded a $30,000.00 grant to the City of Laredo Health Department for the period beginning September 1, 2001 through August 31, 2002.
4. Public hearing and introductory ordinance repealing Ordinance Number 2001-O-279 and authorizing the issuance of a Conditional Use Permit for a portrait studio on Lots 4, 5, and the East ½ of Lot 3, Block 1268, Eastern Division, located at 2219 Clark Blvd; providing for publication and effective date. On September 20, 2001, the Planning and Zoning Commission recommended denial of the originally proposed B-1 zone change.
5. Public hearing and introductory ordinance amending the Zoning Ordinance Map of the City of Laredo by rezoning Blocks 14, 46, and 75, Eastern Division and those portions of Willow Street and Cedar Avenue which were previous public right-of-ways, located at 420 Logan Avenue, from M-1 (Light Manufacturing District) to M-2 (Heavy Manufacturing District); providing for publication and effective date. The Planning and Zoning Commission has recommended denial of the proposed zone change.
6. Public hearing and introductory ordinance amending the Zoning Ordinance Map of the City of Laredo by rezoning 2.6479 acres, as further described by metes and bounds in attached Exhibit “A”, located north of International Blvd. and east of Bazan Subdivision, from R-3 (Mixed Residential District) to M-1 (Light Manufacturing District); providing for publication and effective date. The Planning and Zoning Commission has recommended denial of the proposed M-1 designation and approval of a B-3 zone change which will require the applicant to apply separately for a Special Use Permit for a mini-storage warehouse.
7. Public hearing and introductory ordinance amending the Zoning Ordinance Map of the City of Laredo by rezoning Blocks 56, 67, and 68, Eastern Division and those portions of Cedar Avenue, Piedra China Street, and Logan Avenue which were previous public right-of-ways, located at 301 Logan Avenue, from M-1 (Light Manufacturing District) to M-2 (Heavy Manufacturing District); providing for publication and effective date. The Planning and Zoning Commission has recommended denial of the proposed zone change.
8. Public hearing and introductory ordinance authorizing the City Manager to accept and execute the Vehicle Capital Replacement (VCR) grant 0201 (22) contract no. 51222F6007 with the Texas Department of Transportation in the total dollar amount of $773,126.00; consisting of federal funds of $773,126.00 and providing for a soft match of $193,282.00 state toll credits and amending the FY 2001-2002 budget by appropriating all grant funds in the total amount of $773,126.00; and providing for grant/contract funds to be deposited in the City of Laredo Transit Fund.
VIII. GENERAL COUNCIL DISCUSSIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
9. A. Request by Council Member Louis H. Bruni
1. Status report on the brick pavers on Clark Blvd.
2. Status report on Eastwoods Park.
3. Discussion with possible action on the intersection of Saunders and Milmo.
4. Status report on the empty lot on Los Ebanos Subdivision.
B. Request by Council Member Joe A. Guerra
1. Request by Chris Notzon to discuss the possibility of a moratorium on sexually oriented businesses in the City of Laredo, with possible action.
C. Request by Council Member Jose A. Valdez, Jr.
1. Discussion with possible action on resurfacing Markley Lane between Santa Maria and the furthest railroad line west of Markley Lane.
2. Discussion with possible action on widening the entrance to Rancho Viejo to include a left turn lane.
3. Discussion with possible action regarding sidewalk requirements for new home construction throughout the City of Laredo.
4. Discussion with possible action to approve skate park equipment in District VII.
C. Request by Council Member Juan Ramirez
1. Discussion with possible action regarding suspension of Taxi permit #047 issued to Nora Madrid.
2. Discussion with possible action regarding a public access program for City Council to inform their district of current developments.
3. Discussion with possible action regarding improving San Bernardo Avenue to include resurfacing, removing of telephone poles and possibly adding traffic lights.
4. Discussion with possible action regarding the increase of Council Member requests to 6 six items per council member.
IX. INTRODUCTORY ORDINANCES
10. Setting the maximum speed limit within the city limits of Laredo, Webb County, Texas, as 50 miles per hour from mile post 1.100 to mile point 7.008 of Loop 20 as defined in the Texas Department of Transportation control section map 0086-14 to be in effect during the reconstruction of Loop 20.
11. Authorizing the City Manager to execute a Lease Amendment to the lease agreement authorized by Ordinance No. 2001-0-138 dated July 16, 2001, between the City of Laredo and South Texas Development Council for approximately 2,048 square feet constituting Suite Numbers 12, 14, 16 and 18 of Building No. S-1 located at 1718 E. Calton Road. Said Amendment will decrease the leased area from 2,048 square feet to 1,376 square feet by deleting Suite No. 16 and decrease the monthly rent accordingly from $2,580.50 to $1,733.78, effective October 1, 2001. All other terms and conditions remain in effect and unchanged; providing for an effective date.
12. Authorizing the City Manager to execute a Lease Agreement with South Texas Development Council for approximately 300 square feet constituting Suite Number 22 of Building S-1 located at 1718 E. Calton Road at the Laredo International Airport. Lease term is for one-year (1) year commencing on April 1, 2002 and ending on March 31, 2003 and may be extended for two (2) terms of one year (1) each ending on March 31, 2004 and March 31, 2005. Monthly rent shall be $375.00 and will be adjusted annually during the primary and extension terms of this lease according to changes in the Consumer Price Index; providing for an effective date.
X. FINAL READING OF ORDINANCES
13. 2002-O-065 Amending Chapter XI, Truck Traffic, Division 2, Truck Routes, Section 19-410 Truck Routes Designated and Section 19-415 Departure from and Return to a Designated Truck Route, of Chapter 19, the City of Laredo Code of Ordinances by deleting Lafayette Street westbound only from IH 35 to Santa Isabel Avenue, clarifying U.S. 83 to include Houston and Matamoros, designating all of Loop 20 to the World Trade Bridge and eliminating the restrictive location for services and repairs off the truck route; providing for publication and effective date. (As amended)
2002-O-079 An ordinance establishing a 15% penalty on the 2001 delinquent tax accounts as of July 1, 2002 to defray costs of collection pursuant to Section 33.07 (a) of the Texas State Property Tax Code; providing for publication and effective date.
14. 2002-R-036 Repealing Resolution Numbers 96-R-108, 96-R-109, 96-R-110, 97-R-028, 97-R-029, 99-R-024, 2000-R-039, 2000-R-072, 2000-R-133, 2000-R-134, and resolving that the City Manager is authorized to execute a new Subordination, Non-Disturbance and Attornment Agreement between the City of Laredo, as Lessor, L.A. Ventures, Inc., as Lessee, and International Bank of Commerce, as Lender, thereby encumbering the leasehold interest regarding Lot Numbers, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 and consolidating the existing debt in the amount of $3,225,000.00 and reducing the interest rates on the ten (10) cargo buildings constructed by Lessee on the referenced lots located in Block No. 1 at the Laredo International Airpark Subdivision at the Laredo International Airport. The term of the Subordination, Non-Disturbance and Attornment Agreement is to March 31, 2016; providing for an effective date.
15. 2002-R-037 Authorizing the City Manager to apply for a FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency) Fire Grant for the acquisition of an Emergency Vehicle in the amount of $597,587.00 in which the City of Laredo has to provide thirty percent ($179,276.00) of this amount and FEMA seventy percent ($418,311.00). This grant is to be used to purchase a Hazmat Response Unit for the Laredo Fire Department
16. 2002-R-038 Confirming the appointment for a member of the Fire Fighter’s & Police Officer’s Civil Service Commission of the City of Laredo to be determined by the City Manager.
17. Consideration to award contract number FY 02-084 to the Low Bidder, Roberto Lopez, DBA Al & Rob Sales, Laredo, Texas, in the estimated amount of $47,650.00 for the purchase of uniforms for Bridge Department personnel. The contract pricing will be valid for a period of six (6) months. The uniforms will be delivered thirty days after measurements have been completed. Funding is available in the Bridge Fund.
18. Consideration to award contract number FY 02-083, a thirty-six month rental contract to Office Communication System, Inc., San Antonio, Texas in the base amount of $35,640.00 for providing a color copier for use by all City departments. The copier is assigned to the City Secretary’s Office. The cost per copy is $0.37, which is approximately 44% less than the current rate. Each user department is charged for their actual usage. Funding is available in the respective departmental budgets.
19. Refund of property tax to the following taxpayers and companies:
a. A refund in the amount of $610.36 payable to Rogelio and Anna Eliza Martinez due to double payment by Neel Title Corporation and Alliance Mortgage. Account # 923-00026-527.
b. A refund in the amount of $590.36 payable to Ricardo Rendon and Veronica Rodriguez due to a double payment by Webb County Title Company and the mortgage company. Account #985-83003-190.
c. A refund in the amount of $598.43 payable to Armando Diaz Cortez due to a double payment on behalf of Border Abstract and the mortgage company. Account #980-60003-130.
20. Approving monthly adjustments to the tax roll. The amount to be adjusted for the month of March 2002 represents an increase in levy of $3,506.10. These adjustments are determined by the Webb County Appraisal District and court orders.
21. Consideration to award a contract for collection of delinquent taxes with the firm of Ricardo de Anda, Attorney at Law, to be renewed for the period of July 1, 2002 to September 30, 2005.
22. Consideration for approval of change order no. 1, a decrease of $37,524.06 for the balance of quantities actually constructed in place, acceptance of the 2001-2002 Street Recycling Project (133.5 Blocks-Revised) and approval of final payment in the amount of $42,013.23 to Cutler Repaving, Inc., Lawrence, Kansas. Final contract amount is $315,269.94. Funding is available in the Infrastructure Maintenance Street Materials/Cutler Paving.
23. Consideration to authorize the purchase of one (1) four-door truck and one sports utility vehicle (SUV) through the Houston Galveston Area Council of Governments (HGAC)-Cooperative Purchasing Program in the total amount of $52,690.58. These vehicles will be assigned to the Fire Department’s Training Division. Delivery is expected within 90-100 days. Funding is available in the Fire Department Capital Outlay budget.
24. Consideration to authorize the purchase of one (1), regenerative air sweeper mounted on a Freightliner Cab and Chassis through Houston Galveston Area Council of Governments (HGAC) – Cooperative Purchasing Program, in the total amount of $109,669.00. This sweeper will be assigned to the Public Works Department. Delivery is expected within 90-100 days. Funding is available in the 2002-A PPFCO Contractual Obligation bond proceeds.
25. Consideration to award contract number FY 01-034 to the Low Bidder, The Newman Group, Dexter, Michigan, in the amount of $70,077.00 for providing an annual maintenance contract for the City’s Institutional Network (I-Net) switching equipment. This contract includes technical support, equipment replacement for defective parts, and software upgrades for all I-Net equipment purchased by the City. Funding is available in the respective user departmental budgets.
26. Amending a contract with Harry Jewett Associates, Inc., Laredo, Texas for $15,610.00 to include aerial photography surveys and additional surveying services required to acquire easements for the water distribution lines on Mines Road Area. The amendment brings the total contract amount to $220,780.00. Funding is available in the Colonias Fund Project Engineer Fees.
27. Amending a contract with Crane Engineering Corporation, Laredo, Texas for $8,645.34 to include additional surveying services required to acquire easements for the water transmission line on Hwy 359. The amendment brings the total contract amount to $160,145.34. Funding is available in Colonias Fund Project Engineer Fees.
28. Consideration to award a professional service contract to Trott Communications Group, Irving, Texas, in the estimated amount of $98,000.00, for conducting a study and analysis of the current public safety radio communication system and the preparation of a communication plan. This contract calls for the design of a Mobile Data Terminal (MDT) system and possible upgrade of the existing public safety radio system. The contract vendor will be responsible for the preparation of Request for Proposal (RFP) documents and for oversight responsibility regarding the design and implementation of any new systems. Funding is available in the Special Police Program-COPS MORE MDT Grant.
XIII. STAFF REPORTS
29. Presentation on the Interior Color Scheme for the Laredo Entertainment Center.
30. Staff Report on the Laredo Corridors & Intersections Analysis-Phase II.
XIV. EXECUTIVE SESSION
The City Council hereby reserves the right to go into executive session at any time during this public meeting, if such is requested by the City Attorney or other legal counsel for the City, pursuant to his or her duty under Section 551.071(2) of the Government Code, to consult privately with his or her client on an item on the agenda, or on a matter arising out of such item.
31. Request for Executive Session pursuant to 551.071 (1) (A) & (B) of the Texas Government Code to discuss a settlement offer in pending litigation, Jose Luis Ramos vs. City of Laredo presently pending before the Fire Fighters and Police Officers Civil Service Commission.
This notice was posted at the Municipal Government Offices, 1110 Houston Street, Laredo, Texas, at a place convenient and readily accessible to the public at all times. Said notice was posted on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 at 6:00 p.m.
Gustavo Guevara, Jr.