CITY OF LAREDO
CITY COUNCIL MEETING
LAREDO, TEXAS 78040
APRIL 7, 2003
DISABILITY ACCESS STATEMENT
Persons with disabilities who plan to attend this meeting and who may need auxiliary aid or services are requested to contact Gustavo Guevara, City Secretary at (956) 791-7308 at least two working days prior to the meeting so that appropriate arrangements can be made. The accessible entrance and accessible parking spaces are located at City Hall, 1100 Victoria Ave.
Out of consideration for all attendees of the City Council meetings, please turn off all cellular phones and pagers, or place on inaudible signal. Thank you for your consideration.
I. CALL TO ORDER
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL
V. COMMUNICATIONS AND RECOGNITIONS
a. Presentation by Norma Treviño on the HEB #6-Zapata Highway ribbon cutting-open house on Friday, April 11, 2003 at 9:00 a.m.
b. Presentation by Marta Stineff, Lado Lado, on the Annual Diabetes 5K Walk on April 12, 2003 from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. at the Laredo Entertainment Center.
a. Recognition of the Laredo Bucks for advancing in the playoffs of the Southern Conference of the CHL; and approval of Resolution 2003-R-038.
b. Recognition of Texas A & M International University Mariachi Internacional for their outstanding performance at the City of Laredo's reception in Washington, D.C. on March 19, 2003; and approval of Resolution No. 2003-R-033.
c. Recognition of the 2002-2003 United High School Varsity Basketball Team for their outstanding season.
d. Recognition of Fernando Sotelo and Alex Quintanilla of the Environmental Services Department's Hazardous Materials Division for receiving a Certificate of Appreciation by the U.S. Department of the Treasury, Customs Service, for their outstanding support and contribution to the Office of the Resident Agent in Charge.
e. Recognition of Juan R. Garza of the Parks & Recreation Department for providing first aid assistance to an injured child.
f. Recognition of Eulogio "Chacho" Gonzalez, of Engineering/Public Works Department, for being selected March Employee of the Month.
a. UTSA presentation by President Dr. Ricardo Romo.
VI. APPOINTMENTS TO COMMISSIONS, BOARDS AND COMMITTEES
a. Appointment by Council Member Jose A. Valdez, Jr. of Virginia Mueller to the Board of Adjustments Committee.
b. Appointment by Council Member Juan Ramirez of Diana Rodriguez to the Laredo Commission for Women.
VII. PUBLIC HEARINGS
1. Public hearing and introductory ordinance amending the City of Laredo FY 2002-2003 annual budget by decreasing revenues and expenditures in the amount of $8,190.00 from the Texas Department of Health for the Tuberculosis Prevention/Control Federal Project of the City of Laredo Health Department for the period beginning January 1, 2003 through December 31, 2003.
2. Public hearing and introductory ordinance amending an ordinance and allowing, under the act governing the Texas Municipal Retirement System, updated service credits: in said system on an annual basis for service performed by qualifying members of such system who at the effective date of the allowance are in the employment of the City of Laredo; providing for an increased prior and current service annuities for retirees and beneficiaries of decease retirees of the City; to increase the rate of deposits to the Texas Municipal Retirement system by the employees of the City from 5% to 7%; and establishing an effective date for the ordinance. This Ordinance will allow the City to increase the City contribution rate from approximately 10% to 14% which will improve the City employee pension plan.
3. Public hearing and introductory ordinance authorizing the City Manager to accept a grant in the amount of $65,000.00 from the Texas Department of Transportation for the enforcement of the seat belt law and amending the City of Laredo FY 2002-2003 annual budget in the amount of $65,000.00. This grant is for overtime salaries and is funded 100% by the Texas Department of Transportation.
4. Public hearing and introductory ordinance authorizing the approval of overweight penalty fees to be considered as part of the International Bridges toll receipts and follow the flow of funds as described in Resolution # 98-R-164 and hereby repealing all conflicting sections in all ordinances currently in effect.
5. Public hearing and introductory ordinance amending the Laredo Municipal Housing FY 2003 budget by drawing down and appropriating $865,000.00 from the opening balance to the City’s Capital Improvement Fund. This transfer will be set up to carry out necessary repairs associated with the owner-occupied units constructed by the Laredo Affordable Housing Corporation as part of Los Obispos Affordable Housing Project. The amendment is authorized by the Laredo Municipal Housing Corporation’s Article’s of Incorporation.
VIII. GENERAL COUNCIL DISCUSSIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
A. Request by Mayor Pro-Tempore Alfredo Agredano
1. Discussion with possible action on an ordinance regarding non-smoking. (Co-sponsored by Council Member Hector J. Garcia)
B. Request by Council Member Hector J. Garcia
1. Update on violations of car sales lots in District II.
C. Request by Council Member Johnny Amaya
1. Status report on the traffic study for Buena Vista area, with possible action.
D. Request by Council Member Gene Belmares
1. Presentation by The Major Indoor Soccer League with discussion and possible action. (Co-Sponsored By Council Member Jose A. Valdez, Jr. and Council Member Hector J. Garcia)
2. Discussion on Storm water and Flood Plain management issues along the Manadas Creek area from IH 35 east to Loop 20, with possible action.
3. Discussion on developing access from IH 35 to San Isidro Parkway, with possible action.
4. Discussion with possible action regarding progress on the Development Standard Specification Book.
E. Request by Council Member Juan Ramirez
1. Discussion with possible action on striping parking spaces at the north entrance of Dovalina Elementary.
2. Status report on the Calle Iturbide Project.
3. Discussion with possible action on a solution to traffic congestion around the San Agustin Plaza.
IX. INTRODUCTORY ORDINANCES
7. Authorizing the City Manager to execute a lease with Roberto Villaseñor for approximately 960 square feet constituting Building No. 1319 located at 4011 North Jarvis Avenue at the Laredo International Airport. Lease term is for two (2) years commencing on December 1, 2002 and ending on November 30, 2004. Monthly rent shall be $317.02 and will be adjusted annually according to changes in the Consumer Price Index; providing for an effective date.
8. Authorizing the City Manager to grant a license to Grande River Communications, L.L.P. for the use of a telecommunications PVC conduit located at the Juarez-Lincoln International Bridge and the use of 47 linear feet of City right-of-way from the river bank to the 500 block of Iturbide Street, Laredo, Webb County, Texas. License term is five (5) years commencing on May 5, 2003 and ending May 4, 2008. Annual rent shall start at $15,194.00 with a five percent (5%) increase each anniversary date plus $5.00 per linear foot per year for the use of right-of-way; providing for effective date.
X. FINAL READING OF ORDINANCES
2003-O-075 Amending the Zoning Ordinance Map of the City of Laredo by rezoning 9.6982 acres, as further described by metes and bounds in attached Exhibit “A”, located south of Highway 359 and approximately one and a half miles east of Loop 20, from R-1 (Single Family Residential District) to R-1A (Single Family Reduced Area District); providing for publication and effective date.
2003-O-076 Amending the Zoning Ordinance Map of the City of Laredo by rezoning 8.48 acres, as further described by metes and bounds in attached Exhibit “A”, located at the rear of 6801 McPherson Road, from B-1 (Limited Commercial District) to B-3 (Community Business District); providing for publication and effective date.
2003-O-077 Amending the Zoning Ordinance Map of the City of Laredo by rezoning 16.05 acres, as further described by metes and bounds in attached Exhibit “A”, located west of Indian Sunset Subdivision, Phase 3, from AG (Agricultural District) to R-1A (Single Family Reduced Area District); providing for publication and effective date.
2003-O-078 Amending the Zoning Ordinance Map of the City of Laredo by rezoning 3.6584 acres, as further described by metes and bounds in attached Exhibit “A”, located west of Highway 83 and north of Santa Martha Boulevard, from B-3 (Community Business District) to B-4 (Highway Commercial District); providing for publication and effective date.
2003-O-079 Amending the Zoning Ordinance Map of the City of Laredo by rezoning Lots 10, 11, and 12, Block 791, Eastern Division, located at 1402 Chihuahua St., from R-O (Residential/Office District) to B-3 (Community Business District); providing for publication and effective date.
2003-O-080 Amending the Zoning Ordinance Map of the City of Laredo by rezoning Lots 5, 6, 7, and 8, Block 527, Eastern Division, located at 902 San Carlos St. from R-3 (Mixed Residential District) to R-2 (Multi-Family Residential District); providing for publication and effective date.
2003-O-081 Amending the Zoning Ordinance Map of the City of Laredo by rezoning Lot 6, Block 191, Western Division, located at 1115 San Dario Avenue, from B-1 (Limited Commercial District) to B-3 (Community Business District); providing for publication and effective date.
2003-O-082 Amending the City of Laredo 2002-2003 annual budget by increasing the revenue and expenditure appropriations in the amount of $1,549,895.60 for the lease purchase of 60 police sedans for the Laredo Police Department. Funding is available in the Police Trust Fund. (As amended)
2003-O-083 Amending the City of Laredo 2002-2003 annual budget in the amount of $89,410.00 for the Laredo Financial Disruption Task Force. Funding is available from the opening fund balance of the Financial Task Force Fund (223) and will be used to purchase equipment.
2003-O-084 Amending the City of Laredo 2002-2003 annual budget by appropriating revenues and expenditures in the amount of $5,000.00 from the Texas Department of Health for “Los Dos Laredos” Binational Health Council of the City of Laredo Health Department for the period of October 1, 2002 through September 30, 2003.
2003-O-085 Amending ordinance 88-O-006 of January 5, 1988 as amended by ordinance 89-O-131 of July 17, 1989 and Ordinance 97-O-148 of July 7, 1997, to create a Summer Fun Bus Pass fee for students at a rate of $19.95 for students ages 6-18 years old to provide unlimited rides on all El Metro buses during the Summer months from June 1, 2003 through August 31, 2003.
2003-O-086 Amending the City of Laredo Fiscal Year 2003 Capital Improvements Projects Fund annual budget by appropriating revenues of $481,500.00 in the form of a grant and appropriating expenditures in the amount of $481,500.00 for the construction and redevelopment of Seven Flags Park with 80% funding from the National Park Service UPARR Grant Program, 10% from Texas Parks and Wildlife and 10% local matching funds from Community Development Block Grants.
2003-O-087 Amending the City of Laredo 2002-2003 annual budget, Capital Improvements Fund by appropriating $4,400,000.00 from fund balance and appropriating expenditures in the amount of $4,400,000.00 for the Civic Center renovation and expansion project.
2003-O-088 Amending Section 31-3 of the Code of Ordinances to provide for two exceptions to the prohibition of water services for other than industrial purposes outside city limits, these exceptions being for future water service (1) to the Colonias and (2) to any facility or building owned by the City of Laredo, United Independent School District or Webb County; and providing for an effective date. (As amended)
2003-O-089 Authorizing the City Manager to enter into a contract with the Laredo Independent School District, and amending the City of Laredo FY 2002-2003 annual budget by appropriating revenues and expenditure in the amount of $73,500.00 for Immunization Program of the City of Laredo Health Department for the period beginning April 1, 2003 through August 31, 2003.
2003-O-090 An ordinance re-adopting guidelines and criteria governing tax abatements by the City of Laredo, as required by State law; providing for severability, publication, and effective date.
2003-O-091 Authorizing the City Manager to execute an Assignment of Lease between the City of Laredo, as Lessor, and International Bank of Commerce (“IBOC”) and Sanchez O’Brien Oil and Gas Corp., A Joint Venture, as Tenant/Assignor, for approximately 26,965 sq. ft. of land, including the approximate 12,000 square feet constituting the west section of Hangar No. 1309 located at the Laredo International Airport authorized by Ordinance No. 93-O-029 dated March 1, 1993, and as amended on January 5, 1998, by Ordinance No. 97-O-323. Said Assignment will be to Labata Services, as Assignee. All other terms and conditions remain unchanged and in effect; and contingent upon approval of the Assignment of Lease, further authorizing the City Manager to execute a Release of Tenant’s Liability, for the benefit of International Bank of Commerce and Sanchez O’Brien Oil and Gas Corporation, A Joint Venture; providing for an effective date.
10. 2003-R-031 Declaring the public necessity to acquire the "surface only" of a 4.3869 acre tract of land, more or less, as a 125‑feet‑wide roadway and drainage right‑of‑way for the Springfield Avenue Extension Project; said tract in the City of Laredo, Webb County, Texas, being situated in Porcion 24, Toribio Rodriguez original grantee, and said 4.3869 acres being a part of that certain tract of land called to contain 31.5 acres, which was conveyed by Gilbert L. Leyendecker and wife, June G. Leyendecker to Leyendecker Properties, Ltd., by special warranty deed dated March 11, 1996 and recorded in Volume 390, pages 694‑698, Webb County deed records; and said 4.3869 acres being more particularly described by metes and bounds on the attached exhibit "A" and shown on the survey on the attached exhibit “B”; authorizing staff to negotiate with the owner for the acquisition of said parcel by purchase at a market value to be established by a state certified real estate appraiser; further authorizing the city attorney to initiate condemnation proceedings to acquire said parcel if staff is unable to acquire through negotiations due to inability to agree to a purchase price, conflict of ownership, owner refusal to sell, and/or inability to locate the listed owner; and replacing Resolutions Nos. 2001‑R‑119 and 2001‑R‑120 on the same subject.
11. 2003-R-032 Supporting improvements to the current rebate sales tax system (Texas Export Certificate Program) for merchandise exported from Texas.
12. 2003-R-033 Recognizing TAMIU Mariachi Internacional for their outstanding performance at the Laredo Day in Washington, D.C. reception on March 19, 2003.
13. 2003-R-034 Directing publication of notice of intention to issue City of Laredo, Texas Combination Tax and Revenue Certificates of Obligation, Series 2003, in the principal amount of $3,550,000, for paying all or a portion of the City’s Contractual Obligations for the purpose of constructing drainage improvements, including a pilot channel, and constructing and equipping a fire station, and for the payment of legal, fiscal, architectural and engineering fees in connection with such projects.
14. 2003-R-035 Directing publication of notice of intention to issue City of Laredo, Texas Combination Tax and Sewer System Revenue Certificates of Obligation, Series 2003, in the principal amount of $3,660,000 for paying all or a portion of the City’s Contractual Obligation for the purposes of constructing, improving and extending the City’s Sewer System, and the payment of legal, fiscal and engineering fees in connection with this project.
15. 2003-R-036 Increasing the telephone line rates for residential, non-residential, and point-to-point services following the 2003 Consumer Price Index (CPI) to Municipal Telecommunications right-of-ways as recommended by the Public Utility Commission.
16. 2003-R-037 Authorizing the Administrative Services to accept and execute the policies of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA); and providing for the implementation of these policies with the employees of the City of Laredo.
17. 2003-R-038 Recognizing the Laredo Bucks for advancing in the playoffs of the Southern Conference of the CHL.
18. Consideration to award contract number FY03-047, to the sole bidder, G.T. Distributors, Austin, Texas, in the estimated amount of $39,429.50 for the purchase of fifty pistols and extra clips for the Police Department. Funding is available in the Police Trust Fund.
19. Consideration to award contract FY03-048 to the low bidder, Galls, Inc., Lexington, KY, in the estimated annual amount of $180,000.00 for the purchase of uniforms, boots and accessories. These items are included in the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the City and the Firefighters Union. Each firefighter has a $500.00 clothing allowance that may be used to purchase any of the listed items in the agreement. The term of this contract is for two years and is contingent upon the availability of funds for the next fiscal year. Funding is available in the Fire Department’s budget.
20. Consideration to award a lease purchase contract FY03-039 to the low bidder, Philpott Motors, Port Neches, Texas, in the total amount of $1,549,895.60 for the acquisition of sixty (60) replacement police sedans; and authorizing the City Manager to sign any and all lease purchase documents. Financing will be secured through Ford Municipal Lease Corporation. The City is requesting that these vehicles be delivered fully equipped with light bars, sirens, decals, and other accessories normally installed by the Fleet Maintenance Division. Only the radios will be installed after the vehicles have been delivered to the City. This will expedite the process to activate units for patrol duty. The lease purchase payments have been allocated in the Police Trust Fund.
21. Consideration to award a two-year contract to Fictionwise, Inc., Libwise System of Chatham, NJ, for access to electronic books (e-books) that are downloaded from the internet for patron use. Patrons are able to download electronic, full-text books for a variety of devices such as palm pilots. The monthly access fee of $79.95 includes 2,000 checkouts/$.06 each for additional checkouts per month. The contract shall be for May 6, 2003 through May 5, 2005. Funding is available in the Library budget.
22. Consideration to authorize the City Manager to execute an agreement between the City of Laredo and Hurd Ranch Company, Ltd. for an easement over three tracts of land for the drainage of surface water from the Landfill and surrounding areas.
23. Consideration to authorize the City Manager to execute Amendment 2 to the Advance Funding Agreement with the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) for the Chacon Creek Bridge on Meadow Street Project. The amendment will rescind any claim from the State for monies due on the project. Furthermore, the amendment acknowledges that FM 3464 is removed from the State highway system and returned to the City “as is” for its jurisdiction and maintenance.
24. Consideration to authorize the City Manager to execute an Interlocal Agreement between the City of Laredo and the City of Rio Bravo for the purchase of a refuse collection truck from the City of Laredo for $1,500.00.
25. Approving a refund in the amount of $111.37 payable to Maria Belia E. Juarez due to a Webb County Appraisal District error.
XIII. STAFF REPORTS
A. Discussion with possible action to consider firefighter Ramiro Garza’s request for an extension of injury leave with pay in accordance with 143.073 (b) of the Texas Local Government Code.
XIV. RECESS AS THE LAREDO CITY COUNCIL AND CONVENE AS THE LAREDO MASS TRANSIT BOARD
27. Consideration to award a one-year service contract FY03-049 to the low bidder National Embroiders, Laredo, Texas, for the purchase of operator and supervisor uniforms in the estimated annual amount of $35,354.34. The term of the contract is for a one-year term with an option to extend for one additional year upon mutual agreement. Funding is available in the Transit Fund.
XV. RECESS AS THE LAREDO MASS TRANSIT BOARD AND RECONVENE AS THE LAREDO CITY COUNCIL
XVI. EXECUTIVE SESSION
The City Council hereby reserves the right to go into executive session at any time during this public meeting, if such is requested by the City Attorney or other legal counsel for the City, pursuant to his or her duty under Section 551.071(2) of the Government Code, to consult privately with his or her client on an item on the agenda, or on a matter arising out of such item.
This notice was posted at the Municipal Government Offices, 1110 Houston Street, Laredo, Texas, at a place convenient and readily accessible to the public at all times. Said notice was posted on April 2, 2003 at 7:00 p.m.
Gustavo Guevara, Jr.