CITY OF LAREDO
CITY COUNCIL MEETING
CITY COUNCIL CHAMBERS
1110 HOUSTON STREET
LAREDO, TEXAS 78040
April 4, 2005
DISABILITY ACCESS STATEMENT
Persons with disabilities who plan to attend this meeting and who may need auxiliary aid or services are requested to contact Gustavo Guevara, City Secretary at (956) 791-7308 at least two working days prior to the meeting so that appropriate arrangements can be made. The accessible entrance and accessible parking spaces are located at City Hall, 1100 Victoria Ave.
Out of consideration for all attendees of the City Council meetings, please turn off all cellular phones and pagers, or place on inaudible signal. Thank you for your consideration.
I. CALL TO ORDER
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL
Approval of the minutes of February 22, 2005.
V. COMMUNICATIONS AND RECOGNITIONS
a. Alzafar Shrine Temple members to address the Mayor, City Council, and public on their upcoming Shrine Hospital Week event in Laredo, Texas.
a. Recognizing the private sector sponsors of the Laredo Day Reception held in Washington D.C. on March 23, 2005.
b. Recognition of Kazen Elementary 1st and 4th Grade Basketball Teams for winning the City Championship in their age groups.
a. Mayor Elizabeth G. Flores reports on the City of Laredo Tax Department.
VI. APPOINTMENTS TO COMMISSIONS, BOARDS AND COMMITTEES
VII. PUBLIC HEARINGS
1. Public hearing providing community residents an opportunity to comment on their housing and community needs and the projects that they wish to see funded for FY 2005–2006 through the 31st Action Year (AY) Community Development Block Grant (CDBG), the 2005 HOME Investment Partnerships Grant (HOME), the 2005 Emergency Shelter Grant (ESG), and the 2005 American Dream Downpayment Initiative Program (ADDI) in support of the preparation and submission of the Five Year Consolidated Plan and 2005 One Year Action Plan to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Also for discussion and comment is the Fiscal Year (FY) 2003 – 2004 Consolidated Annual Performance Report regarding the City’s administration of HUD Programs.
2. Public hearing and introductory ordinance approving the public sale of Lots 1, 2, 3, and 4 on Block 276A Western Division located on the south side of the 1500 Block of Zaragoza Street in the Central Business District of the City of Laredo to El Portal Center, LLC, sole bidder, meeting all bid specifications in the amount of One Million Five Hundred Thousand Dollars ($1,500,000.00); authorizing the City Manager to execute all necessary conveyance documents; and providing for effective date.
3. Public hearing and introductory ordinance amending the City of Laredo FY 2004–2005 Annual Budget by appropriating revenues and expenditures in the amount of $19,177.00 from Mercy Ministries of Laredo for the City of Laredo Health Department to support their efforts in providing limited amount of public health medications to their patients. This contract period is from March 1, 2005 through March 1, 2006.
4. Public hearing and introductory ordinance authorizing the City Manager to amend the City of Laredo FY 2004-2005 Annual Budget by increasing revenues and expenditures by $8,789.00 from the Texas Health and Human Services Commission for the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) Outreach Project of the City of Laredo Health Department, and to extend the grant period two additional months. The term period would be September 1, 2004 through June 30, 2005; and authorizing the City Manager to execute the contract.
5. Public hearing and introductory ordinance authorizing the City Manager to amend the City of Laredo FY 2004 – 2005 Annual Budget by increasing revenues and expenditures in the amount of $3,400.00 from the University of Texas at San Antonio for a “Walking in Laredo/Andando en Laredo” (Pilot) Pedometer Pilot Study by the City of Laredo Health Department, for the term February 9, 2005 through June 30, 2005.
6. Public hearing and introductory ordinance amending Chapter 14 (Garbage, Trash, & Refuse) of the Code of Ordinances, specifically to revise landfill fees to allow other counties or municipal entities outside Webb County to pay $30.00 per ton provided they have an Interlocal Agreement with the City of Laredo.
VIII. INTRODUCTORY ORDINANCES
7. Authorizing the City Manager to execute a lease agreement with Laredo Independent School District for approximately 28,800 square feet constituting Building No. 1005 located at 4608 Daugherty Avenue at the Laredo International Airport. Lease term is for three (3) years commencing on June 1, 2005 and ending on May 31, 2008, and may be extended for two (2) terms of one (1) year ending on May 31, 2009 and May 31, 2010. Lease may be terminated by either party upon giving ninety (90) day notice from the party terminating to the other. Initial monthly rent shall be $7,200.00 and shall be adjusted annually during the primary and extension terms of this lease according to changes in the Consumer Price Index; providing for an effective date.
8. Authorizing the City Manager to execute all necessary documents to effectively convey fee simple title to the “Surface Only”, at its adjusted market value of $8,000.00, for certain property described as a 0.1853 of an acre (8,073.49 sq. ft.) tract of land, more or less, out of that former section of Chihuahua Street between Texas and the east right – of – way line of U.S. Highway 83 to Hector Cabello; provided that the City of Laredo retains the entire tract as a utility easement; said tract being situated in the Eastern Division, City of Laredo, Webb County, Texas, being generally described on attached Exhibit “A”; and providing for an effective date.
9. Abandoning the 20 ft. wide Sewer & Drainage Utility Easement on the north side of a 4.40 acre tract abutting Cheyenne Subdivision, Phase I, and authorizing the City Manager to execute a Quitclaim and Release of Easement to Romacat, Ltd; and providing for effective date.
10. Authorizing the City Manager to enter into an interlocal agreement between the City of Laredo and Laredo Independent School District and amending the City of Laredo Fiscal Year 2004 – 2005 Capital Improvement Project Fund Budget by appropriating revenues and expenditures in the amount of $2,000.00 for the installation of one (1) solar powered school zone flashing beacon assembly. Revenues consist of contributions from the Laredo Independent School District (LISD) with a 50% match from the City. Total project cost is $4,000.00.
IX. FINAL READING OF ORDINANCES
2005-O-062 Amending the Zoning Ordinance Map of the City of Laredo by rezoning 0.75 acres, as further described by metes and bounds in attached Exhibit “A”, located approximately south of Masterson Road and east of Santa Fe Subdivision, from AG (Agriculture District) to B-3 (Community Business District); providing for publication and effective date. (District III)
2005-O-063 Amending Ordinance No. 2000-O-303, by authorizing issuance of a Conditional Use Permit for a detention facility on 35 acres, as further described by metes and bounds in attached Exhibit “A,” located at 9998 S. Hwy 83, by expanding the existing facility to the adjacent property; providing for publication and effective date. (District III)
2005-O-064 Amending the Zoning Ordinance Map of the City of Laredo by rezoning the North 1/3 of Lot 1 and North 1/3 of Lot 2, Block 2, Eastern Division, located at the intersection of Zacatecas Street and Arkansas Avenue, from R-3 (Mixed Residential District) to B-1 (Limited Commercial District); providing for publication and effective date. (District I)
2005-O-065 Amending the Zoning Ordinance Map of the City of Laredo by rezoning Lots 1 and 2, Northgate Plaza Subdivision, located at 5801 San Dario Avenue, from B-3 (Community Business District) to B-4 (Highway Commercial District); providing for publication and effective date. The Planning and Zoning Commission has recommended approval of the proposed zone change. (District V)
2005-O-066 Amending the Zoning Ordinance Map of the City of Laredo by rezoning Lot 4, Block 875, Eastern Division, located at 1619 Lyon Street, from R-3 (Mixed Residential District) to R-1A (Single-Family Reduced Area District); providing for publication and effective date. (District IV)
2005-O-067 Amending the Zoning Ordinance Map of the City of Laredo by rezoning Lot 1, Block 1, Concord Hills, Phase XI, located at 5327 Hwy 359, from B-1 (Limited Commercial District) to B-4 (Highway Commercial District); providing for publication and effective date. (District I)
2005-O-068 Amending the Zoning Ordinance Map of the City of Laredo by rezoning Lot 7, Block 1, Cheyenne Subdivision, located at Cheyenne Drive and Dorel Drive, from R-1MH (Single-Family Manufactured Housing District) to R-2 (Multi-Family Residential District); providing for publication and effective date. (District II)
2005-O-069 Amending the Zoning Ordinance Map of the City of Laredo by authorizing a Special Use Permit for oil and/or gas extraction on 4 acres, as further described by metes and bounds in attached Exhibit “A”, located at Link Ranch #6; providing for publication and effective date. (District I)
2005-O-070 Amending City of Laredo’s Subdivision Ordinance, Appendix B of the Code of Ordinances, Chapter IV, Section 4-2: Enforcement, by allowing a permit to be issued on unplatted City owned properties for which a public purpose is intended; providing for publication and effective date.
2005-O-071 Authorizing the City Manager to accept $1,000.00 in contributions and amending the City of Laredo FY 2004 – 2005 Convention and Visitor’s Bureau Annual Budget by appropriating revenues of $1,000.00 in the form of a corporate contribution from the International Bank of Commerce for the 2005 Laredo International Sister Cities Festival; and appropriating expenditures in the amount of $1,000.00 for CVB Marketing Division expenses.
2005-O-072 Amending the City of Laredo FY 2004 – 2005 Annual Budget by appropriating revenues and expenditures in the amount of $87,800.00 from the South Texas Development Council for the HIV/AIDS Housing Opportunities for Persons with AIDS Project (HOPWA) of the City of Laredo Health Department for the period beginning February 1, 2005 through January 31, 2006.
2005-O-073 Amending the City of Laredo FY 2004 – 2005 Budget for the Utilities Department for Full-time Equivalent (FTE) positions by deleting 12 FTE positions under the Managed Employees’ Divisions and creating 159 FTE positions as indicated in the Revised FTE Listing incorporated herein; and waiving the five work day advertising requirement of 2-87.7(8) of the Code of Ordinances, for these positions only, in furtherance of terms agreed to in Section 7 of the Mutual Dissolution Agreement between the City and United Water, dated March 17, 2005. Funding for these positions is available through an operating budget transfer from the Waterworks and Wastewater Compliance Divisions.
2005-O-074 Authorizing the City Manager to execute a lease with Paul Young Properties, Ltd., for approximately 3.632 acres of land located north of the Airport Passenger Terminal at the Laredo International Airport. Lease term shall be for two (2) years commencing on May 1, 2005 and ending on April 30, 2007, and may be extended for two (2) terms of one (1) year each ending on April 30, 2008 and April 30, 2009. Monthly rent shall be $5,000.00 and will be adjusted during the primary and extension terms of this lease according to changes in the Consumer Price Index; providing for an effective date.
2005-O-075 Authorizing the City Manager to convey two easements (one measuring 311 square feet, the other measuring 276 square feet) more or less, as utility easement and right-of-way for underground utility services, for the installation of certain underground facilities to serve the building structures in the Bridge of the Americas Project. Said 311 sq. ft. tract being situated within Block 22 WD, and 276 sq. ft. tract being situated in Block M, W.D.; and more particularly described by metes and bounds on attached Exhibit “A” and providing for an effective date.
2005-O-076 Amending Chapter 19, Article IV. Bicycles and Play Vehicles, of the City of Laredo Code of Ordinances by adding Division 3. Play Vehicles; by adding Section 19-125 Definitions; Section 19-126 Prohibition regarding motor assisted scooter; Section 19-127 Prohibition of play vehicle use; Section 19-128 Helmets required; Section 19-129 Seizure for violation; and providing for publication; providing for severability and an effective date.
2005-O-077 Designating as a one-way westbound, that section of Grant Street, Block 1100, between Flores Avenue on the east and Convent Avenue on the west, providing for the installation of appropriate signs to indicate one-way traffic in the west direction and providing for publication and effective date. Funding is available in the Capital Improvement Fund.
12. Consideration for approval of Final Change Order No. 6, an increase of $160.77 for the balance of quantities actually constructed in place, acceptance of the Laredo International Airport Northeast Cargo Apron and Access Road and approval of final payment in the amount of $264,410.01 to Price Construction, Inc., Laredo, Texas. Final contract amount is $5,285,145.66. Funding is available in the Airport Construction Fund – FAA Grant #31 and Retainage Payable.
13. Consideration for approval by the City Manager to submit a grant proposal to the Office of Population Affairs (OPA) under the Department of State Health Services (DSHS) in the amount of $375,000.00 plus a $125,000.00 in kind match for a “Adolescent Family Life Demonstration Project” for the City of Laredo Health Department.
14. Authorizing the City Manager to amend the existing contract with Victor D. Treviño, M.D. by an increased amount of $5,200.00 for a total contract amount not to exceed $30,000.00 to provide medical services to clients of the Maternal & Child Health Title V Clinic of the City of Laredo Health Department for the period beginning September 1, 2004 through September 30, 2005. Funds are available in the Health Department Budget.
15. Consideration to award contract number FY05-061, to the low bidder, JJJ International Safety Equipment, Laredo, Texas in the estimated amount of $25,000.00 for providing powdered electrolyte replacement drinks (Sqwincher) for City service crews. Electrolyte replacement drinks are purchased on an as needed basis during the summer months for the service crews to prevent dehydration. The contract pricing is approximately 5% less than the previous contract period. Funds are available in the following budgets: Public Works, Solid Waste, Fleet Maintenance, Traffic Safety, Engineering, Risk and Parks and Recreation.
16. Awarding a construction contract to the lowest bidder Price Construction, Big Springs, Texas in the amount of $673,243.00 for the construction of the US 59 Utility Relocation Project. This project consists of installing a 30” sanitary sewer line along US 59 from the Chacon Creek to Casa Blanca Road and the replacement of 1,450 linear feet of 16 inch diameter water line. The construction time is 120 calendar days. Funding is available in the TXDOT Improvements Project Water and Sewer System.
XI. STAFF REPORTS
A. Presentation of the recommended radio communication system by John Griesel, Santa Rita Consultants, Inc., with possible action.
B. Presentation on stormwater management through stormwater fee/ utility.
XII. GENERAL COUNCIL DISCUSSIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
A. Request by Council Member Gene Belmares
1. Status report on the widening of McPherson Avenue from Villa Court to Mahogany Drive.
2. Status Report on the Martingale Creek Improvements.
3. Discussion with possible action addressing after hours and weekend ordinance enforcement, with possible action.
4. Discussion with possible action regarding the Street Recycling Program in District VI.
B. Request by Council Member Jose A. Valdez, Jr.
1. Discussion with possible action regarding the implementation of a go-cart and off-road vehicle recreational area and the preparation of a plan of action that includes site location, conceptual design, operations, and the feasibility of a public/ private venture, with possible action.
2. Discussion with possible action regarding the creation and implementation of an independent grievance board to hear all city employee grievances, as appointed by the Mayor and City Council, with term limits.
XIII. EXECUTIVE SESSION
The City Council hereby reserves the right to go into executive session at any time during this public meeting, if such is requested by the City Attorney or other legal counsel for the City, pursuant to his or her duty under Section 551.071(2) of the Government Code, to consult privately with his or her client on an item on the agenda, or on a matter arising out of such item.
This notice was posted at the Municipal Government Offices, 1110 Houston Street, Laredo, Texas, at a place convenient and readily accessible to the public at all times. Said notice was posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 at 6:45 p.m.
Gustavo Guevara, Jr.