CITY OF LAREDO
CITY COUNCIL MEETING
CITY COUNCIL CHAMBERS
1110 HOUSTON STREET
LAREDO, TEXAS 78040
July 18, 2005
DISABILITY ACCESS STATEMENT
Persons with disabilities who plan to attend this meeting and who may need auxiliary aid or services are requested to contact Gustavo Guevara, City Secretary at (956) 791-7308 at least two working days prior to the meeting so that appropriate arrangements can be made. The accessible entrance and accessible parking spaces are located at City Hall, 1100 Victoria Ave.
Out of consideration for all attendees of the City Council meetings, please turn off all cellular phones and pagers, or place on inaudible signal. Thank you for your consideration.
I. CALL TO ORDER
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL
V. COMMUNICATIONS AND RECOGNITIONS
a. Recognition of Monica Resendiz, of the Laredo Public Library, on her selection as June 2005 Employee of the Month.
b. Recognition of Ruben Salinas, Building Director, for earning the International Code Council (ICC) Certification of Master Code Professional (MCP), the highest designation recognized in the profession.
c. Recognition of Police Chief Agustin Dovalina III on his appointment by the Texas Police Chiefs Association to the Governor's Office of Homeland Security, Texas Intelligence Council.
d. Recognition of Fire Chief Luis F. Sosa and Dr. Hector Gonzalez, Health Department Director, for their appointment to the Governor's First Responder Committee on State Homeland Security.
a. Mayor Elizabeth G. Flores reports on the City of Laredo City Secretary’s Department.
VI. APPOINTMENTS TO COMMISSIONS, BOARDS AND COMMITTEES
a. Appointment by Council Member John Galo of Julia Ruhlman to the Laredo Commission for Women.
b. Appointment by Council Member John Galo of Paul de la Peña to the Historic District / Landmark Board.
VII. PUBLIC HEARINGS
1. Public hearing and introductory ordinance amending the Zoning Ordinance Map of the City of Laredo by authorizing the amendment of a Conditional Use Permit for a tattoo/body piercing parlor on Lot 12, Block 988, Eastern Division, located at 1802 Corpus Christi Street by extending the term of permit and by removing all previously required conditions; providing for publication and effective date. The Planning & Zoning Commission recommended approval of the Conditional Use Permit amendment without removing the previously required conditions.
2. Public hearing and introductory ordinance amending the Zoning Ordinance Map of the City of Laredo by authorizing a Conditional Use Permit for truck/trailer rental on Lot 1, Block 8, Crown Ridge Subdivision Phase 1, located at 502 Shiloh Drive; providing for publication and effective date. The Planning & Zoning Commission recommended approval of the Conditional Use Permit.
3. Public hearing and introductory ordinance authorizing the amendment of Ordinance No. 2004-O-270 which authorized a Special Use Permit for mini-storage warehouse on Lot 1, Block 8, Crown Ridge Subdivision Phase 1, located at 502 Shiloh Drive by revising the site plan; providing for publication and effective date. The Planning and Zoning Commission recommended approval of the Special Use Permit.
4. Public hearing and introductory ordinance amending the Zoning Ordinance Map of the City of Laredo by rezoning all of Block No. 24, Laredo Airport Subdivision, located at 4804 and 4812 N. Bartlett Avenue, from AG (Agricultural District) to B-1 (Limited Commercial District); providing for publication and effective date. The Planning & Zoning Commission recommended approval of the proposed zone change.
5. Public hearing and introductory ordinance amending the Fiscal Year 2004-2005 Annual Operating Budget in the NPDES Fund Budget by accepting a donation of $200.00 from H.E.B. Stores and appropriating said revenue and expenditures for the purpose of providing food for the volunteers at the Household Hazardous Waste and Used Tire Collection Event.
6. Public hearing and introductory ordinance amending the City of Laredo Fiscal Year 2004-2005 Annual Budget by appropriating revenues and expenditures in the amount of $27,250.00 in additional funds, totaling $124,001.00 from the Texas Department of State Health Services for the Title V Family Planning Services of the City of Laredo Health Department to extend the contract four (4) additional months, from September 1, 2004 through December 31, 2005.
7. Public hearing and introductory ordinance amending the City of Laredo Fiscal Year 2004-2005 Annual Budget by appropriating revenues and expenditures in the amount of $15,000.00 in funds from the Texas Department of State Health Services to assist with the Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Program of the City of Laredo Health Department for the period beginning July 1, 2005 through June 30, 2006.
8. Public hearing and introductory ordinance authorizing the City Manager to accept a $4,237.64 donation from the Laredo Heat Soccer League and to amend the City of Laredo Fiscal Year 2004-2005 Capital Improvement Fund by appropriating revenues and expenditures in the amount of $4,237.64 in the form of a donation for the purchase and installation of lights at the Slaughter Park Soccer Fields.
9. Public hearing and introductory ordinance authorizing the City Manager to amend the Fiscal Year 2004-2005 Parks Capital Grants Fund to appropriate revenues and expenditures in the amount of $50,000.00, provided by Webb County, for sport lighting improvements at Father McNaboe Park Baseball Field; and $50,000.00 for specified improvements to be done at the Noon Lions Park.
10. Public hearing and introductory ordinance authorizing the City Manager to amend the City of Laredo Fiscal Year 2004-2005 General Fund Annual Budget by appropriating revenues and expenditures in the amount of $4,175.00 in the form of a reimbursement for repair costs incurred due to an automobile accident at Little League Field No. 3 located at the former Air Base.
11. Public hearing and introductory ordinance amending the City of Laredo 2003-2004 Annual Budget in the amount of $589,460.00 to fund the Laredo Autotheft Task Force and accepting an award in the amount of $346,000.00 from the Texas Automobile Theft Prevention Authority. The City of Laredo will be designating $211,810.00 in matching funds, and Webb County will be designating $31,650.00 in matching funds for a total of $589,460.00. This grant is effective from September 1, 2005 through August 31, 2006.
12. Public hearing and introductory ordinance amending Ordinance #2004-0-186 so as to accept a supplemental grant in the amount of $23,000.00 from the Texas Automobile Theft Prevention Authority and to amend the City of Laredo’s FY 2004-2005 Annual Budget in the amount of $23,000.00. This supplemental grant of $23,000.00 is 100% funded at no cost to the city. The 2004-2005 Texas Automobile Theft Prevention Authority grant for the Laredo Autotheft Task Force will now total $305,805.00. The funding period for this grant is from September 1, 2004 through August 31, 2005
VIII. INTRODUCTORY ORDINANCES
13. Authorizing the City Manager to execute an amendment to the lease agreement approved by Ordinance No. 2003-O-114 dated May 5, 2003, with KK Communications, L.P., for approximately 5,672 square feet constituting Building No. 962 located at 1816 Pappas Street at the Laredo International Airport. Said amendment will specifically amend Section 1.07 titled, “Use and Use Conflict”, thereby allowing Lessee to sublease a portion of the leased premises. All other terms and conditions remain unchanged and in effect; providing for an effective date.
14. Approving and authorizing the City Manager to execute a 0.042 acre easement to Arena Ventures Holding, L.P. for an underground storm drainage culvert under and across Arena Road as described in Exhibit 1 attached to this ordinance; and providing for effective date.
IX. FINAL READING OF ORDINANCES
2005-O-167 Amending the City of Laredo Fiscal Year 2004-2005 Risk Management Budget by appropriating $202,000.00 from the beginning fund balance for expenditures related to workers’ compensation, errors and omissions, and general liability and auto and mobile equipment.
2005-O-168 Amending the City of Laredo Fiscal Year 2005 General Fund Budget and Bridge System Fund by transferring $1,578,503.00 from the General Fund and appropriating it in the Bridge System Fund. The amendment will temporarily draw down $1,578,503.00 from the General Fund opening balance and appropriate a transfer out in the same amount to the Bridge System for the purpose of funding the second phase of Bridge 1, Bridge of the Americas for toll system equipment.
2005-O-174 Authorizing the City Manager to execute a lease with Ernest Health, Inc., for approximately 69,790.67 square feet of land consisting of the former Maher Avenue located between Bartlett Avenue to the south and Bustamante Street to the north at the Laredo International Airport. Lease term is for one (1) year commencing on August 1, 2005 and ending July 31, 2006. However, it is agreed by the parties that the lease may be terminated by either party on not less than thirty (30) days written notice from the party terminating to the other. Monthly rent shall be $2,443.00, providing for reduction of the leased area and rental obligation at time of closing of public sale of a portion of Maher Avenue to Lessee; providing for an effective date.
2005-O-175 Approving the public sale of a portion (approximate west half) of the former Maher Avenue right-of-way (surface only) consisting of approximately 34,730.39 square feet located between Bartlett and Bustamante Street at the Laredo International Airport to Ernest Health, Inc., abutting property owner, in the amount of $329,939.00, and authorizing the City Manager to execute all necessary conveyance documents; providing for effective date.
2005-O-176 Authorizing the City Manager to execute a lease with Webb County (Floyd Day Care) for approximately 1.0128 acres of land located at 4704 Naranjo Street at the Laredo International Airport. Lease term is for two (2) years commencing on August 1, 2005 and ending on July 31, 2007. Monthly rent shall be $1,862.00 and will be adjusted annually according the changes in the Consumer Price Index; providing for an effective date.
2005-O-177 Amending Ordinance #99-O-180 by authorizing the City Manager to execute a 1st amendment to that certain Ground Lease between the City of Laredo and SBC Texas Towers LP, a Delaware limited partnership (“Tenant”) dated June 28, 1999, to increase the height of the monopole, located at 200 W. Travis (Cruz Field), from a 100 foot monopole to a 130 foot monopole and consent to the collocation of Alamosa PCS. All other terms and conditions of the lease remain in full force and effect.
16. 2005-R-057 Authorizing the City Manager to acquire through negotiations, the “Surface Only” of one parcel of land located at 801 Iturbide Street, in an amount not to exceed $400,000.00, plus incidental expenses of approximately $400.00, in order to provide for City employee parking as a result of the implementation of the Santa Ursula Downramp Connector Project. Said parcel consists of Lots 6 & 7, the Northeast 15 x 7.5 varas of Lot 3, the Northwest 5.15 varas of Lot 4 & the North 5.5 varas of the Northwest of Lot 4, Block 26, Western Division, City of Laredo, Webb County, Texas; as delineated on attached copy of City Plat.
17. 2005-R-065 Accepting the donation of an easement for water and sewer utilities from John R. Daves and Maria Cristina Saucedo, for the D-5 Acres Subdivision Easement Acquisition Project. This being a strip of land 15.00 feet in width, containing 3,142.44 square feet of 0.072 of an acre, more or less, over and across a portion of Tract 16 in the D-5 Acre Subdivision, and being situated in Porcion 33, Abstract 3084, Webb County, Texas, and described by metes and bounds and survey attached as Exhibits A and B.
18. Approving the submission of the 2005-2010 Consolidated Plan and the 2005 One Year Action Plan to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development in request for funding through the 31st Action Year Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) in the amount of $4,117,388.00; the 2005 HOME Investment Partnership Program (HOME) in the amount of $1,381,138.00; the 2005 American Dream Downpayment Initiative in the amount of $25,734.00; and the 2005 Emergency Shelter Grant (ESG) in the amount of $158,593.00; and authorizing the City Manager to execute all documents as a result of the Plan’s submission.
19. Consideration for approval of the project plaque for the City of Laredo Fire Station No. 14 – Cielito Lindo Subdivision.
20. Consideration to authorize the City Manager to enter into contract negotiations with a general contractor LEH Contractors, Inc., San Antonio, Texas, based on the best value proposal received for Los Obispos Unit -5 Remediation Project, Phase II; only one proposal was received.
21. Consideration for approval to award a construction contract to the sole bidder A.M.P. Electric Company, Laredo, Texas, in the bid amount of $99,300.00 for the Laredo International Airport East Fuel Farm Electrical Improvements. Funding is available in the AIP Grant #30 – Improvements Other Than Buildings.
22. Consideration for approval to annul the award of construction contract with Brothers Paving, Inc., Laredo, Texas, for the Ejido Avenue Extension (Pita Mangana Boulevard – Chacota Street). The construction contract was awarded on January 24, 2005; however Brothers Paving, Inc., has been unable to provide the performance and payment surety bonds as required by the bid documents. Per Section C-409 of the contract documents, in the case annulment of award, the proposal guaranty shall become the property of the Owner (City of Laredo), not as a penalty but as a liquidated damage (copy attached); and approval to revise the plans and re-bid the project.
23. Consideration for approval to award an engineering contract to Foster Engineering Company, Laredo, Texas, for an amount not to exceed $42,100.00 for Professional Engineering and Surveying Services for a 12 month period for the City of Laredo Landfill. Funding is available in the Solid Waste – Project Engineer Fees.
24. Consideration for approval of Change Order No. 4 a decrease of $2,495.60, for the balance of quantities actually constructed in place, acceptance of the Laredo International Airport Access Roads, and approval of final payment in the amount of $167,096.03 to Price Construction, Inc., Laredo, Texas. Final contract amount is $1,614,739.69. Funding is available in the Airport Construction Fund – Improvements Other Than Buildings – Retainage Payable.
25. Authorizing the City Manager to accept funds from the Rotary Club of Salado, Texas, in the amount of $1,100.00 for the City of Laredo Health Department TB Binational Program. These funds are for nutritional supplements necessary for the TB patients who are malnourished. It will assist in their recovery and improve their health status. These funds have been previously appropriated.
26. Consideration to award contract FY05-105 to the low bidder, Quantum Electric Co., Laredo, TX in the amount of $39,694.00 for the purchase and installation of lights at the Del Mar Community Park Senior League baseball field. Funding is available in the Capital Improvement Project (CIP) Budget.
27. Authorizing the City Manager to award a professional services contract to Carter & Burgess, Inc. in the amount of $28,550.00 for the research, development and implementation assistance of a City of Laredo Parkland Dedication Ordinance to serve as a tool for the systematic and equitable acquisition of parkland through the development and platting process of future residential subdivisions. Funding is available through the Parks and Recreation Operational Budget.
28. Referring the City of Laredo Comprehensive Plan to the Planning and Zoning Commission and requiring that a report from the Planning and Zoning Commission with any recommendations be brought back before the City Council no later than September 30, 2005, in accordance with Article IX, Section 9.03 of the Charter of the City of Laredo.
29. Authorizing the City Manager to enter into an Earnest Money Contract for the City to acquire from Arena Ventures Holdings L.P., the “Surface Only” of Lot 4A, Block 1, Laredo Arena Subdivision, Unit 4 located immediately North of the Laredo Entertainment Center parking lot for the purchase price of $674,983.00. Funding is available in the Land for Sports and Community Venue Account.
30. Approving monthly adjustments to the tax roll. The amount to be adjusted for month of June 2005 represents a decrease of $30,369.82. The adjustments are determined by Webb County Appraisal District and by court orders.
XII. STAFF REPORT
A. Staff report from the City Manager and Water Utilities Staff with recommendations regarding the current water situation in the City of Laredo, with possible action.
XIII. GENERAL COUNCIL DISCUSSIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
A. Request by Council Member Juan Ramirez
1. Discussion with possible action regarding the expansion of the outbound inspection area at Bridge II to expedite the bus inspection process and better accommodate bus passengers traveling to Laredo.
2. Discussion with possible action regarding the maintenance and cleanliness of Zaragoza Street between Flores Avenue and Convent Avenue especially during the weekend hours.
3. Discussion with possible action regarding the financial contributions and itemized expenses associated with the 7Flags / 7Cultures Festival and the schedule of 250th Anniversary activities planned for the remainder of the year.
XIV. EXECUTIVE SESSION
The City Council hereby reserves the right to go into executive session at any time during this public meeting, if such is requested by the City Attorney or other legal counsel for the City, pursuant to his or her duty under Section 551.071(2) of the Government Code, to consult privately with his or her client on an item on the agenda, or on a matter arising out of such item.
XV. RECESS AS THE LAREDO CITY COUNCIL AND CONVENE AS THE LAREDO MASS TRANSIT BOARD.
33. Authorizing the City Manager to apply for State Public Transportation funds in the amount of $705,482.00 from the Texas Department of Transportation which is authorized to distribute state funds for transit capital and operating assistance in urbanized areas under 200,000 in population.
34. Consideration for approval of plans and specifications for the Sidewalk Improvements Fiscal Year 2005 Transit Sales Tax Project consisting of approximately 31.5 blocks city-wide to be constructed in-house to City, State and Federal Requirements and ADA Accessibility Standards; and allocating a budget for the project in the estimated amount of $110,000.00 which includes construction ($107,400.00), testing ($1,225.00), contingencies ($600.00) and ADA plans review and inspection ($775.00). Funding is available in the Sidewalk Improvements FY05 Transit Sales Tax - Capital Outlay – Sidewalks.
XVI. ADJOURN AS THE LAREDO MASS TRANSIT BOARD AND RECONVENE AS THE LAREDO CITY COUNCIL.
This notice was posted at the Municipal Government Offices, 1110 Houston Street, Laredo, Texas, at a place convenient and readily accessible to the public at all times. Said notice was posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 at 6:30 p.m.
Gustavo Guevara, Jr.