CITY OF LAREDO
CITY COUNCIL MEETING
CITY COUNCIL CHAMBERS
1110 HOUSTON STREET
LAREDO, TEXAS 78040
January 23, 2006
DISABILITY ACCESS STATEMENT
Persons with disabilities who plan to attend this meeting and who may need auxiliary aid or services are requested to contact Gustavo Guevara, City Secretary at (956) 791-7308 at least two working days prior to the meeting so that appropriate arrangements can be made. The accessible entrance and accessible parking spaces are located at City Hall, 1100 Victoria Ave.
Out of consideration for all attendees of the City Council meetings, please turn off all cellular phones and pagers, or place on inaudible signal. Thank you for your consideration.
I. CALL TO ORDER
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL
IV. COMMUNICATIONS AND RECOGNITIONS
a. Naming the 2006 Laredo Commission for Women Hall of Fame Inductees: Amanda Martinez, Civic Volunteer; Frances Quesada, Education; Minita Freeman, Financial; Gloria Jackson, Government Services; Dr. Carmen Ramirez - Rathmell, Health/Environment; and Judith Gutierrez, Politics.
a. Invitation to the Laredo City Council to attend the Streets of Laredo / Popeyes Jamboozie on Saturday, January 28, 2006.
b. Invitation to the 2006 Laredo International Sister Cities Festival from Laredo Convention and Visitors Bureau.
a. Recognition of Manuel Reyes, of the Community Development Department, on his selection as December 2005 City of Laredo Employee of the Month.
b. Recognition of City employees who were deployed to Iraq over one (1) year ago and have returned home: Eddie Elizarde, Gabriel Arriaga, Carlos Agredano, Jose R. Garza Aguirre, Ernest Chavez, Jose A. Cueva, Jose A. Hernandez, Manuel Lara, Jorge E. Martinez, Heriberto Ramos, Carlos Hernandez, Jr.
c. Recognizing the Laredo Community College Palomino Men's Tennis Team for garnering the National Junior College Athletic Association title in May 2005.
d. Recognizing the top seven Laredo athletes ranked by the U.S. Tennis Association in the 3.5 Senior’s category.
e. Recognizing the Treviño family for being named as the Texas Tennis Family of the Year by the Texas Tennis Association, in conjunction with the U.S. Tennis Association.
f. Recognizing the winners of the Mayor’s Cup Softball Tournament.
a. Mayor Elizabeth G. Flores reports on the City of Laredo Fire Department.
V. APPOINTMENTS TO COMMISSIONS, BOARDS AND COMMITTEES
VI. PUBLIC HEARINGS
1. Public hearing and introductory ordinance amending the Zoning Ordinance Map of the City of Laredo by rezoning Lots 2 and 3, Block 1, Tesoro Plaza Subdivision, located at 5112 Tesoro Plaza, from B-3 (Community Business District) to B-4 (Highway Commercial District). The Planning and Zoning Commission recommended approval of the zone change.
2. Public hearing and introductory ordinance amending the Zoning Ordinance Map of the City of Laredo by rezoning 4.2 acres, as further described by metes and bounds in attached Exhibit “A”, located south of Loma del Sur Boulevard and east of Business 83, from AG (Agricultural District) to B-1 (Limited Commercial District). The Planning and Zoning Commission recommended approval of the zone change.
3. Public hearing and introductory ordinance amending the Zoning Ordinance Map of the City of Laredo by rezoning 7.4 acres, as further described by metes and bounds in attached Exhibit “A”, located south of Loma del Sur Boulevard and east of Business 83, from AG (Agricultural District) to B-3 (Community Business District). The Planning and Zoning Commission recommended approval of the zone change.
4. Public hearing and introductory ordinance amending the Zoning Ordinance Map of the City of Laredo by authorizing a Conditional Use Permit for a kiosk/food stand on Lot 12, Block 446, Eastern Division, located at 202 W. San Carlos Street. The Planning and Zoning Commission recommended approval of the zone change.
5. Public hearing and introductory ordinance amending the Zoning Ordinance Map of the City of Laredo by authorizing a Conditional Use Permit for diesel truck repair on Lot 6, Block 1787, Eastern Division, located at 2919 Market Street. The Planning and Zoning Commission recommended denial of the zone change.
Public hearing and introductory
the Zoning Ordinance Map of the City of Laredo by rezoning Lot 10 and the East ½ of Lot 11, Block 1078, Eastern
Division, located at 1904
Green Street, from
7. Public hearing and introductory ordinance amending the City of Laredo FY2005-2006 Airport Fund (Operating) Budget by drawing down $2,000,000.00 from the restricted fund balance and amend the corresponding expenditure line item for the purpose of acquiring a tract of land abutting the airport; and authorizing the City Manager to implement said budget amendment; providing for an effective date.
8. Public hearing and introductory ordinance amending the City of Laredo Fiscal Year 2005 – 2006 Capital Grants Fund Annual Budget to recognize revenues from an Economic Development Initiative Grant, provided by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), in the amount of $198,400.00 for the renovation of the historic Plaza Theater’s marquee and blade sign and appropriating said grant revenues to the appropriate expenditure accounts and authorizing the City Manager to implement said budget amendment.
9. Public hearing and introductory ordinance amending the City of Laredo Fiscal Year 2005 – 2006 full-time Equivalent Positions by creating one (1) full-time Community Service Aide position with benefits in lieu of one (1) contract Community Service Aide in the HIV/AIDS Prevention Program funded 70% through the HIV Prevention Activities Program Grant (226-6072) beginning January 1, 2006 through December 31, 2006 and 30% through the STCADA Grant (226-6403) beginning July 1, 2005 through June 30, 2006.
10. Public hearing and introductory ordinance amending the City of Laredo Fiscal Year 2005 – 2006 Annual Budget by appropriating revenues and expenditures in the additional amount of $35,000.00 for a total amount of $210,000.00 from the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) to continue the operation of the two (2) continuous air monitoring station (CAMS) by the City of Laredo Health Department, by extending the grant period which ends February 28, 2006, an additional six (6) months. The term period would be beginning September 1, 2003, through August 31, 2006; and authorizing the City Manager to execute the contract.
11. Public hearing and introductory ordinance establishing a 15% penalty on current year delinquent property tax accounts, as of April 1st of each year for Personal Property and July 1st of each year for Real Property, to defray costs of collection pursuant to Sections 33.11 and 33.07 of the Texas Property Tax Code; providing for publication and effective date.
12. Public hearing and introductory ordinance amending the City of Laredo Fiscal Year 2005 – 2006 Annual Budget for the Parking Meters Fund by appropriating expenditures in the amount of $62,000.00 from Fund Balance for the repair of the elevator located at the Parking Division Administration Building.
13. Public hearing and introductory ordinance authorizing the City Manager to amend the Transit System’s Fiscal Year 2005 – 2006 Capital Grants Budget by appropriating $636,671.00 as the local match for the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) Section 5309 Grant #TX-03-0274-00 for the new transit facility.
VII. INTRODUCTORY ORDINANCES
14. Authorizing the City Manager to execute a lease with the Washington’s Birthday Celebration Association, Inc., (W.B.C.A.) for approximately fifteen (15.0) acres of concrete ramp located in the southwest cargo ramp of the Air Operations Area to include City owned vacant non-aeronautical use land located at the Laredo International Airport for event parking use. Lease term is for two (2) days commencing on February 11, 2006 and ending on February 12, 2006. City Council finds and declares that a valid public purpose would be served in setting the daily rental fee at $1.00; providing for an effective date.
15. Authorizing the City Manager to execute all necessary documents to effectively convey two (2) city owned blocks, namely, Blocks 1782, E.D. and 1713, eastern division, in the City of Laredo, Webb County, Texas, to the Metro Affordable Housing Corporation in support of the Cardinal Point Project, which will be a forty (40) unit town home development; and providing for effective date.
16. Amending the City of Laredo Code of Ordinances Chapter 2 – “Administration”, Article II – “Departments, Officers and Employees”, Division 5 – “Appeals and Grievances”, Section 2-87.2- “Appeal Procedures”, Subparagraph (G); providing for an effective date.
17. Closing as a public easement that section of Galveston Street between McDonnell and Monterrey Avenues situated in the Eastern Division, City of Laredo, County of Webb, Texas; and providing for an effective date.
18. Authorizing the City Manager to execute all necessary documents to effectively convey a twelve-foot-wide Easement and Right-of-Way to AEP Texas Central Company for the installation of a single phase transformer at Santa Rita Park for concession building. Said twelve-foot-wide Easement and Right-of-Way containing 36.00 square feet, and being out of Lot No. 1, of the Santa Rita Subdivision Park Plat, recorded in Volume 20, Page 99, of the Map Records of Webb County, Texas, being described on attached Exhibit A; and providing for an effective date.
VIII. FINAL READING OF ORDINANCES
2006-O-013 Accepting and appropriating a grant awarded by Texas State University, San Marcos, Texas, in the amount of $23,377.00 with City designating $1,148.00 as a local match and amending the City of Laredo’s Fiscal Year 2005 – 2006 Environmental Services Fund Annual Budget by appropriating said revenues and expenditures. The grant monies will be used for the Dos Laredos Integrating Monitoring, Watershed Education, and Litter Cleanup Project.
2006-O-014 Amending the City of Laredo Fiscal Year 2005 – 2006 Annual Budget by reducing $50,864.00 to reflect the actual amount awarded of $34,678.00 from the Texas Department of State Health Services for the Title V Family Planning Services of the City of Laredo Health Department for the period beginning January 1, 2006 through August 31, 2006.
2006-O-015 Authorizing the City Manager to accept a contribution in the amount of $12,500.00 from the Prairie Foundation and amending the City of Laredo Fiscal Year 2005 – 2006 General Fund Annual Budget by appropriating revenues of $12,500.00 in the form of a contribution from the Prairie Foundation and expenditures in the amount of $12,500.00 for the purchase of playground equipment for North Central Park.
20. 2005-R-003 Declaring the public necessity to acquire the “Surface Only” of one parcel of land for the widening of Salinas Avenue and construction of a pedestrian plaza, between Zaragosa and Water Streets, as part of the El Portal Project. Said parcel consisting of Lots 5 & 6, Block 23, Western Division, City of Laredo, Webb County, Texas; as delineated on attached copy of City Plat; and authorizing staff to negotiate with the owner for the acquisition of said parcel by purchase at a market value as established by a State Certified Real Estate Appraiser, and further authorizing the City Attorney to initiate condemnation proceedings to acquire said parcel if staff is unable to acquire due to inability to agree to a purchase price, conflict of ownership, owner refusal to sell, and/or inability to locate the listed owner(s).
21. Consideration for approval of Change Order No. 2 a decrease of $107,517.05, for the balance of quantities actually constructed in place, acceptance of the Laredo International Airport Reconstruction of Portions of Taxiways A and B – AIP Project No. 3-48-0136-41-04 and approval of release of retainage and final payment in the amount of $339,921.29 to Price Construction, Ltd., Laredo, Texas. Final contract amount is $2,011,554.41. Funding is available in the Airport Construction Fund – Grant 41.
22. Consideration for approval of acceptance of the Lilia Perez Community Center (Farias Community Center) and approval of final payment in the amount of $24,113.99 to Zertuche Construction Company, Laredo, Texas. Final contract amount is $382,199.00. Funding is available in the Community Development Fund.
23. Consideration to exercise the renewal option for contract FY05-032 for the following annual contracts for repair parts and service for the heavy equipment fleet: Holt Co. of Texas, Laredo, Texas, in the estimated amount of $200,000.00 and RDO Equipment Co., Laredo, Texas, in the estimated amount of $20,000.00. All parts and service will be purchased on an as needed basis. Funding is available in the Fleet Maintenance Budget.
24. Authorizing the City Manager to reject the Medicare Prescription Drug Insurance (Part D) Portion of request for proposals number FY06-025 to provide retiree prescription drug benefits that would be comparable to the current retiree prescription drug benefits. The proposals submitted did not provide comparable benefits.
25. Consideration to authorize the purchase of an in-line hockey dasher board system from the low bidder. The low bidder will be announced at the City Council meeting. This equipment will be installed at the Lafayette Linear Park. Funding is available in the 31st Action Year, 2005 Community Development Block Grant (CDBG).
26. Refund of property tax in the amount of $2,780.25 to the following taxpayers and companies:
1. A refund in the amount of $519.22 payable to Arrowhead Land Development due to an erroneous payment. Account # 922-10001-130.
2. A refund in the amount of $617.57 payable to Laredo National Bank due to an erroneous payment. Account # 110-00479-050.
3. A refund in the amount of $508.07 payable to Laredo National Bank due to an erroneous payment. Account # 221-01001-011.
4. A refund in the amount of $1,135.39 payable to Laredo National Bank due to an erroneous payment. Account # 110-00479-071.
27. Approving monthly adjustments to the tax roll. The amount to be adjusted for month of December 2005 represents a decrease of $30,393.04. These adjustments are determined by Webb County Appraisal District and by court orders.
28. Adopting the 2006 Federal Legislative Agenda.
29. Awarding a contract to Rathmell and Gilpin Engineering Company, L.L.C., Laredo, Texas in the amount of $377,000.00 for basic engineering services including a preliminary engineering report, surveys, design, and preparation of plans and specifications with cost estimates for the expansion of the North Laredo Wastewater Treatment Plant. The contract time is 320 calendar days. Funds are available in the North Laredo Wastewater Treatment Plant Construction Account.
30. Awarding a construction contract to the lowest bidder Ramos Industries, Inc., Pasadena, Texas in the amount of $1,797,419.00 for the construction of the SH 359 Tanquesitos I - Wastewater Collection and Water Distribution Improvements Project, subject to the approval of the TWDB. The Tanquesitos I-Wastewater Collection and Water Distribution Improvements consist of constructing 8” water distribution line and 10”/ 8” sanitary sewer collection line to Colonias Los Tanquesitos I within SH 359 Planning Areas. The construction time is 240 calendar days. Funding is available in the Colonias Construction Fees.
XI. STAFF REPORTS
A. Update regarding Phase II of U.S. VISIT, with possible action on a resolution.
B. Presentation by the Charter Review Commission on proposed amendments to the City Charter.
XII. GENERAL COUNCIL DISCUSSIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
A. Request by Mayor Elizabeth G. Flores
1. Report on Washington, D.C. meeting with Homeland Security Secretary, Michael Chertoff in November 2005 and a subsequent Laredo meeting in January 2006 regarding border security, with possible action.
2. Discussion with possible action regarding synchronizing or extending the timing on traffic signals along Loop 20 during peak traffic times.
B. Request by Council Member Johnny Rendon
1. Discussion with possible action regarding the funding of Safe Haven Program under the Children’s Advocacy Center.
C. Request by Mayor Pro-Tempore Jose A. Valdez, Jr.
1. Discussion with possible action to close out the Police Work Station Projects.
D. Request by Council Member Juan Ramirez
1. Discussion with possible action regarding the opening of Tatangelo Walkway for vehicular traffic.
2. Discussion with possible action regarding the moving of the Water Park funding from the 2009 Capital Improvement Projects to the 2007 Capital Improvement Projects listing.
3. Discussion with possible action regarding the installation of a playground in the San Francisco Javier Neighborhood.
4. Status report on the improvements to Bridge II and parking space for tour buses.
XIII. EXECUTIVE SESSION
The City Council hereby reserves the right to go into executive session at any time during this public meeting, if such is requested by the City Attorney or other legal counsel for the City, pursuant to his or her duty under Section 551.071(2) of the Government Code, to consult privately with his or her client on an item on the agenda, or on a matter arising out of such item.
XIV. RECESS AS THE LAREDO CITY COUNCIL AND CONVENE AS THE LAREDO MASS TRANSIT BOARD
33. Authorizing the City Manager to waive the parking fee for persons attending the Popeyes Mardi Gras Jamboozie and implementing a flat fee charge of $200.00 to the Streets of Laredo Urban Mall Association for personnel costs, overtime and extra security for traffic and crowd control for the use of the parking facility on January 28, 2006 from 5:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m.
34. Consideration to award contract FY06-019 to Andy’s Auto Air & Supply, Laredo, Texas, and Thermo King of Laredo, Laredo, Texas, for providing bus and van fleet air conditioning service for the El Metro Transit System. The term of this contract will be for a period of two (2) years. Funding is available in the El Metro Operations Budget.
XV. ADJOURN AS THE LAREDO MASS TRANSIT BOARD AND RECONVENE AS THE LAREDO CITY COUNCIL.
This notice was posted at the Municipal Government Offices, 1110 Houston Street, Laredo, Texas, at a place convenient and readily accessible to the public at all times. Said notice was posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 at 6:30 p.m.
Gustavo Guevara, Jr.