CITY OF LAREDO
CITY COUNCIL MEETING
CITY COUNCIL CHAMBERS
1110 HOUSTON STREET
LAREDO, TEXAS 78040
JANUARY 16, 2007
DISABILITY ACCESS STATEMENT
Persons with disabilities who plan to attend this meeting and who may need auxiliary aid or services are requested to contact Gustavo Guevara, City Secretary at (956) 791-7308 at least two working days prior to the meeting so that appropriate arrangements can be made. The accessible entrance and accessible parking spaces are located at City Hall, 1100 Victoria Ave.
Out of consideration for all attendees of the City Council meetings, please turn off all cellular phones and pagers, or place on inaudible signal. Thank you for your consideration.
I. CALL TO ORDER
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL
V. COMMUNICATIONS AND RECOGNITIONS
a. Recognition of the City of Laredo Sisters Cities Youth Committee.
b. Recognition of Department, Esther Garcia, Community Development Department, on her selection as January 2007 Employee of the Month.
a. Presentation by the Streets of Laredo regarding 2007 Popeyes Jamboozie Festival
b. Presentation by Minita Ramirez, President Elect, regarding the 2007 Washington Birthday Celebration.
Citizens are required to fill out a witness card and identify themselves at the microphone. Comments should be relevant to City business and delivered in a professional manner. No derogatory remarks will be permitted. There is a time limit of three minutes per speaker.
VI. APPOINTMENTS TO COMMISSIONS, BOARDS AND COMMITTEES
a. Appointment by Council Member Hector Garcia of Triana Volpe to Parks and Recreation Committee.
VII. GENERAL COUNCIL DISCUSSIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
A. Request by Council Member Hector Garcia
1. Discussion with possible action on allowing the use of City owned vacant lots located at the Laredo International Airport during the Jalapeño Festival.
2. Discussion with possible action on allowing one street banner during the WBCA festivities.
B. Request by Council Member Gene Belmares
1. Discussion with possible action regarding the streets to be included in the 2006-2007 Street Recycling Project for District VI.
2. Discussion with possible action on creating isolation fencing for the swimming pool ordinance.
3. Discussion with possible action regarding deteriorating street conditions in District VI.
4. Discussion with possible action on implementing a water distribution action plan for Summer 2007.
VIII. PUBLIC HEARINGS
2. Public hearing and introductory ordinance authorizing the City Manager to execute a budget amendment appropriating operating funds from the Federal Transit Administration Grant No. TX 90X706 from Fiscal Year 2005-2006 in the amount $526,487.00 to be used for operating expenses in Fiscal Year 2006-2007 increasing the Federal contribution from $3,700,000.00 to $4,226,487.00 and decreasing the sales tax match for operations from $5,693,440.00 to $5,166,953.00 and amending the Transit Sales Tax Fund by transferring $526,487.00 into Transit Sales Tax Fund by transferring $526,487.00 into Sales Tax Reserve and reducing transfer to operations by $526,487.00.
3. Public hearing and introductory ordinance amending the City of Laredo FY 2006-2007 annual budget by decreasing the grant award amount by $66,618.00 due to an 8 month award pending full application from the Texas Department of State Health Services for the Prevention Services for HIV Prevention Project of the City of Laredo Health Department for a total amount of $133,236.00, contract period beginning January 1, 2007, through August 31, 2007, and amending the Full-Time Equivalent positions by deleting one unfilled Community Service Aide position to reallocate funds for other program personnel.
4. Public hearing and introductory ordinance amending the City’s Capital Improvement Fund-Los Obispos Remediation Project FY 2006-2007 Budget by appropriating revenues and expenditures in the amount of $36,000.00. The revenues derive from the settlement agreement between the City of Laredo and Mario Gonzalez, d/b/a MG Builders.
5. Public hearing and introductory ordinance authorizing the City Manager to amend the Fiscal Year 2006-2007 budget by allocating the Utility late fees and appropriating revenues and expenses in the amount of $131,290.00 to the Utility Billing Division provided by projected increases in the Utility Late Fees. Funds will be used to purchase an Automated Interactive Voice Response (IVR) Customer Service System and cover temporary personnel costs for the non-deposit special revenue collection project.
6. Public hearing and introductory ordinance amending Ordinance 2004-O-291, which established the rental rates on all multi-family apartment properties acquired through the FAR Part 150 Airport Noise Compatibility Program and managed by the Laredo Municipal Housing Corporation (LMHC) by revising the rental rate structure to ensure the units’ marketability.
7. Public hearing and introductory ordinance amending Ordinance 2003-O-143, which established the rental rates for the single-family properties purchased through the Laredo International Airport FAR Part 150 Noise Compatibility Program and managed by the Laredo Municipal Housing Corporation by revising the rental rate structure of vacant properties to ensure the marketability of the properties.
8. Public hearing and introductory ordinance amending the Zoning Ordinance (Map) of the City of Laredo by authorizing a Special Use Permit and drilling permit for oil and/or gas extraction on 4 acres, as further described by metes and bounds in attached Exhibit “A”, located east of Interstate Highway 35 south of termination of South Unitec Drive. The Planning and Zoning Commission recommended approval of the Special Use Permit. (District VI)
9. Public hearing and introductory ordinance amending the Zoning Ordinance (Map) of the City of Laredo by authorizing a Conditional Use Permit for a child daycare center on Lot 687, Block 41, Del Mar Hills, Section 3, Area “A” Subdivision, located at 804 Eden Lane. The Planning & Zoning Commission recommended denial of the zone change. (District VI)
IX. INTRODUCTORY ORDINANCES
10. Authorizing the City Manager to enter into a lease agreement by and between the Laredo Transit Management, Inc., and the City of Laredo Department of Community Development for the lease of 6,628 sq.ft. of building space at the Laredo Transit Center located at 1301 Farragut (East), second and third floors (East) for a monthly sum of $4,586.44 for a term of three (3) years commencing on February 1, 2007. This action is contingent upon the continued availability of funding.
X. FINAL READING OF ORDINANCES
2007-O-001 Amending the City of Laredo’s FY 2006-2007 annual budget by authorizing the addition of one (1) Investigator position by reclassification of one (1) officer position in the Laredo Police Department’s High Intensity Drug Trafficking Agency (HIDTA) program. There is no cost to the City of Laredo’s General Fund. Funding is available from within the HIDTA program.
2007-O-002 Amending the City of Laredo FY 2006-2007 budget by appropriating revenues and expenditures in the amount of $257,702.00 in additional funds from the Texas Department of State Health Services for the Public Health Preparedness and Epidemiology Program-Pandemic Influenza Work Plan of the City of Laredo Health Department for a total grant amount of $932,099.00, and extending the grant period which ends December 31, 2006, an additional eight (8) months. The term period from September 1, 2005, through August 31, 2007; amend the FY 2006-2007 full-time equivalent positions, and authorizing the City Manager to execute the contract.
2007-O-003 Amending the City of Laredo FY 2006-2007 Annual Budget for the South Texas Regional 9-1-1 System Fund by adding one (1) full time equivalent (FTE) position. The position would be responsible for assisting the four county region of Jim Hogg, Starr, Webb, and Zapata counties with 9-1-1 database matters. Funding in the estimated amount of $22,000 for the remaining eight months of the fiscal year is available in the 9-1-1 Regional Fund.
2007-O-004 Amending the City of Laredo Fiscal Year 2006-2007 annual budget by decreasing the grant award amount by $44,012.00 from the Texas Department of State Health Services for the Prevention Services for HIV-Infected Persons Project (PSHIP) of the City of Laredo Health Department for a total amount of $69,993.00 for contract period beginning January 1, 2007 through August 31, 2007 and amending the Full Time Equivalent positions.
2007-O-005 Authorizing the City Manager to execute an Easement and Underground Service Agreement Document WR16640801 with AEP Texas Central Company (AEP) consisting of approximately 22,440.17 square feet of land within the Laredo International Airport Passenger Terminal Subdivision, recorded Volume 16, Pages 45-47, Webb County Map Record, Webb County, Texas, for the installation of underground electrical facilities to serve Laredo International Airport at 5210 Bob Bullock Loop; providing for an effective date.
2007-O-006 Amending the City of Laredo’s Land Development Code Book, Chapter 24: Article V, Section 24.80 Model Subdivision Rules; and amending Appendix A: of the Laredo Land Development Code; and providing for publication and effective date.
2007-O-007 Amending the City of Laredo Code of Ordinances, Chapter 28 (Streets, Sidewalks and Public Places), Article III-Civic Center, Division 2-Rental Rates for Facility, Personnel and Equipment Services, by providing for a one time waiver of approximately $5,790.00 in fees for the use of the Civic Center Facilities and Equipment during the 5th International Sister Cities Festival to take place from January 23-28, 2007.
12. 2007-R-001 Authorizing the City Manager to accept a donation from Wal-Mart Corporation in the amount of $500.00. Funds will be deposited in the Friends of the Library Fund and used to expand the Laredo Public Library’s Summer Reading Program.
13. 2007-R-003 Declaring the City of Laredo’s intent to work in partnership with Webb County on the construction of a fifth international bridge crossing joining the Mexican State of Tamaulipas and the State of Texas and to be located within the corporate limits of the City of Laredo for the purpose of meeting the needs of the area’s growing populous; and authorizing the city manager to hold formal discussions with Webb County for the purpose of drafting a memorandum of understanding that will further reflect the intentions of both parties and which will further the best interests of both city and county residents; and rescinding Resolution no. 2002-R-025 and Resolution no. 2004-R-067.
14. 2007-R-004 Authorizing the City Manager to enter into and execute an Interlocal Governmental Agreement pursuant to the Texas Government Code, Chapter 791, between the City of Laredo and the County of Webb, in which the Webb County Sheriff’s Department and the Laredo Police Department require the formation of a mutual aid law enforcement task force to mutually assist each other in the areas of the traffic control, crowd control, and general law enforcement both within and beyond the city limits during the various Washington’s Birthday Celebration festivities scheduled from January 25, 2007 to February 18, 2007.
15. Consideration to authorize the purchase of one truck in the total amount of $28,439.00, through the Houston Galveston Area Council of Governments (H-GAC) cooperative purchasing program’s contract pricing. This truck will be purchased from Philpott Ford and will be assigned to the Public Works creek cleaning operation which is funded by the Solid Waste department. Funding is available in the Solid Waste Fund.
16. Consideration to authorize the purchase of Trackwise Application Software, Release 6.0 from Sparta System, Inc. in the total amount of $44,640.00. The Trackwise Software is a web based tracking system that electronically logs, manages and follows the action items of the citizen complaint reports. Funding for this software upgrade is available from the 2006 Public Property Finance Contractual Obligation (PPFCO) bond proceeds.
17. Consideration for approval of change order no. 2 an increase of $58,005.00 for the balance of quantities actually constructed in place and to add thirty-three (33) calendar days to the construction contract time, acceptance for substantial completion of the Los Obispos Unit-5 Remediation Project, Phase II and approval of payment in the amount of $118,896.15 to LEH Contractors, Inc., San Antonio, Texas. Final construction contract amount is $1,375,828.00. Funding is available in the Los Obispos Phase II.
18. Consideration for approval to award a construction contract to the sole bidder Cutler Repaving, Inc., Lawrence Kansas, in the bid amount of $625,753.70 for the 2006-2007 Street Recycling Project (160 Blocks). Funding is available in the Capital Improvement Fund.
19. Consideration for approval of change order no. 1, an increase of $86.53 for the balance of quantities actually constructed in place and to add one hundred eighty one (181) calendar days to the construction time, acceptance of the Santa Rita Park Phase I, Project 1 and approval of final payment in the amount of $41,296.91 to Zertuche Construction, Inc. Funding is available in the Community Development 27th and 28th Action Year Grant.
20. Consideration to exercise the renewal option for an additional three month period for contract number FY06-092 awarded to the low bidders, Hollon Oil Company, Weslaco, Texas and Arguindequi Oil Company, Laredo, Texas, for the purchase of lubricants for the Fleet Maintenance Division. The bid pricing will be firm for a three-month period and all items will be purchased on an as need basis. Funding is available in the Fleet Maintenance Fund.
21. Consideration to exercise the renewal option for one (1) additional year for contract number FY06-013 to vendors, Gulf Coast Paper, Corpus Christi, Texas, Patria Supply, Laredo, Texas; and Laredo Janitorial Solutions, Laredo, Texas; for providing general janitorial supplies for all City departments. This contract establishes the contract pricing for those janitorial supplies most commonly utilized by City departments. All items will be purchased on an as needed basis and funding will be secured from the user department budgets.
22. Consideration for approval of change order no. 1 a decrease of $7,854.00 for balance of quantities actually constructed in place, acceptance of the Fire Fighting/Public Safety Training Facility Phase II and approval of final payment in the amount of $1,000.00 to Marshall Company, Ltd., Corpus Christi, Texas. Final construction contract amount is $1,389,869.32. Funding is available in the General Fund/Fire Department.
23. Consideration for approval to award a professional services contract to Chapman & Associates, Inc., Magnolia, Texas, for an amount not to exceed $89,400.00 for the Resident Project Representative (RPR) for the Laredo International Airport Projects. Funding is available in the Airport Construction Fund/Grant #49-Project Engineer Fees.
24. Consideration for approval to award a professional services contract to South Texas Laboratories, Inc., Laredo, Texas, for an amount not to exceed $74,800.00 to provide laboratory, sampling and testing services of materials for quality assurance of the Laredo International Airport Construction of Northeast Cargo Apron (Phase II) General Aviation Apron (Phase II) and Southwest Cargo Apron Concrete Pads. Funding is available in the Airport Construction Fund-Grant #49.
25. Authorizing the City Manager to amend the 2005 Consolidated One Year Action Plan by canceling the Central Laredo Senior Citizen Center Project totaling $45,000.00 in 31st Action Year (AY) 2005 Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funds, and reprogramming the $45,000.00 for the construction of sidewalks in District IV.
26. Consideration to award a consultant contract to Pemberton Professional Services, LLC in the amount of $83,000.00 for the update of City of Laredo Parks and Open Space Master Plan. Funding is available in the Parks and Recreation Department Fiscal Year 2006-2007 operating budget.
27. Authorizing the City Manager to approve payment from the City’s Arena Renewal and Replacement Account for repairs done to the roof due to high winds causing damage to the roof membrane in a total amount not to exceed $2,200.00. Funding is available in the Sports and Community Venue Account.
28. Approving monthly adjustments to the tax roll. The amount to be adjusted for the month of December 2006 represents a decrease of $61,423.54. These adjustments are determined by Webb County Appraisal District and by court orders.
29. Consideration to exercise the renewal option for contract FY06-027 to Southern Sanitation, Laredo, Texas, in the estimated annual amount of $68,513.04, for providing trash collection services for large volume containers. These services will be required for various City operations such as the Airport, Bridge System, Civic Center, Parks and Recreation, Public Access, Fleet Management, Traffic, Transit, Municipal Housing, Environmental Engineering, Fire, and Utilities. The contract vendor is also required to provide these containers for special events such as the household collection event. Funding is available in the respective departmental budgets.
30. Consideration for approval of change order no. 6, an increase of $268,878.99 for additional modifications to Building E to the construction contract with Leyendecker Construction, Laredo, Texas, for the City of Laredo Bridge of Americas Modification Project (El Portal). Funding is available in the Improvements Other Than Buildings – Bridge System.
31. Consideration for approval of the selection of consultant SCS Engineers, Bedford, Texas, for the New Type I Cell in the City of Laredo Municipal Landfill located at 6912 Hwy. 359 and authorization to negotiate a professional services contract. Funding is available in the Solid Waste Fund.
32. Consideration for approval of amendment no. 6 an increase of $75,906.00 to the architectural/engineering contract with Frank Architects, Inc., Laredo, Texas, for the Gateway to the Americas Bridge (Bridge I) Access, export lot and parking lot modifications for additional professional services to design and provide construction phase supervision. Funding is available in the Architectural Fees/Bridge System - Construction Projects.
33. Consideration to authorize the emergency purchase of one (1) American LaFrance custom liberty pumper truck from American LaFrance Gulf Coast, Houston, TX in the estimated total amount of $352,874.00 through the Houston Galveston Area Council of Government’s (H-GAC) cooperative contract. This is a replacement for the fire pumper truck that was damaged beyond repair in the vehicle rollover on IH 35. This replacement fire truck will be delivered within 120 – 150 calendar days. American LaFrance will also loan a fire truck to the City of Laredo for $1.00 until this replacement truck is delivered.
XIII. EXECUTIVE SESSION
The City Council hereby reserves the right to go into executive session at any time during this public meeting, if such is requested by the City Attorney or other legal counsel for the City, pursuant to his or her duty under Section 551.071(2) of the Government Code, to consult privately with his or her client on an item on the agenda, or on a matter arising out of such item.
XIV. RECESS AS THE LAREDO CITY COUNCIL AND CONVENE AS THE LAREDO MASS TRANSIT BOARD
34. 2007-RT-001 Authorizing the City of Laredo to file an application with the U. S. Department of Transportation, Federal Transit Administration, Section 5309 earmark for Fiscal Year 2006-2007, in the amount of $1,943,557.00 for design and construction of the proposed new administrative/ operations/maintenance facility, and authorizing the City Manager to execute all related documents.
35. Consideration to award contract number FY07-022 to the low bidder, Mitchell Adding Machine Co., Inc. /DBA Mitchell Time & Parking, Austin, Texas, in the total amount of $103,810.00 for the purchase and installation of parking garage toll equipment at the Transit Center. A trade in allowance for the existing toll equipment in the amount of $25,000.00 will reduce the total purchase cost to $78,810.00. The equipment will be purchased utilizing grant funding.
This notice was posted at the Municipal Government Offices, 1110 Houston Street, Laredo, Texas, at a place convenient and readily accessible to the public at all times. Said notice was posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 at 9:00 p.m.
Gustavo Guevara, Jr.