CITY OF LAREDO
CITY COUNCIL MEETING
CITY COUNCIL CHAMBERS
1110 HOUSTON STREET
LAREDO, TEXAS 78040
MARCH 26, 2007
DISABILITY ACCESS STATEMENT
Persons with disabilities who plan to attend this meeting and who may need auxiliary aid or services are requested to contact Gustavo Guevara, City Secretary at (956) 791-7308 at least two working days prior to the meeting so that appropriate arrangements can be made. The accessible entrance and accessible parking spaces are located at City Hall, 1100 Victoria Ave.
Out of consideration for all attendees of the City Council meetings, please turn off all cellular phones and pagers, or place on inaudible signal. Thank you for your consideration.
I. CALL TO ORDER
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL
V. COMMUNICATIONS AND RECOGNITIONS
a. Recognition of the Lyndon B.
Johnson High School Cheerleaders for their participation in the NCA Senior
& Junior National Championship
b. Recognition of the Nixon Basketball girl’s basketball team varsity team for winning the District Championship and for participating in the Regional Semi-Finals Tournament in San Antonio.
c. Recognition of Chelsea Morgensen (12) and Alex Barron (11) for being the first participants from Laredo to be nominated to the Jr. NBA/ Jr. WNBA National Team.
d. Recognition of Joe R. Moreno, of the Library Department, on his selection as March 2007 employee of the month.
e. Recognition of the 2007 Mayor’s Cup City Employees Softball Tournament winners.
a. Update via telephone conference by the City’s legislative consultants regarding federal and state legislative sessions.
Citizens are required to fill out a witness card and identify themselves at the microphone. Comments should be relevant to City business and delivered in a professional manner. No derogatory remarks will be permitted. There is a time limit of three minutes per speaker.
VI. APPOINTMENTS TO COMMISSIONS, BOARDS AND COMMITTEES
a. Appointment by Council Member Hector Garcia of Eddie Alvarez to the Transportation and Traffic Safety Committee.
VII. GENERAL COUNCIL DISCUSSIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
A. Request by Council Member Mike Garza
1. Discussion regarding possible immediate action to a better implementation of a water conservation plan with possible measurable time related water reduction goals, with possible action. (Co-sponsored by Council Member Dr. Michael Landeck)
B. Request by Council Member Hector J. Garcia
1. Discussion with possible action on reducing the number of Council Member discussion items allowed per City Council meeting.
C. Request by Council Member Dr. Michael Landeck
1. Discussion with possible action on water issues. (Co-sponsored by Council Member Mike Garza)
A. Strategic plan on a possible water infrastructure upgrade (major items, timetable and estimated cost).
B. Possible replacement of all mechanical water meters to electronic based meters (including possible timetable, cost of meters and reduction in manual water meter reading cost.)
C. Addition of $5 Million to current budget for immediate active search and acquisition of Water rights.
D. Estimate of incremental cost with timetable for the possible expansion of the Jefferson plant to accommodate additional 10 million gallons per day of water purification.
VIII. PUBLIC HEARINGS
2. Public hearing and introductory ordinance amending the City of Laredo Fiscal Year 2006-2007 Bridge System Fund by appropriating revenues and expenditures in the amount of $910,000.00. The funds will be transferred from General Fund for the Bridge I Canopy Project.
3. Public hearing and introductory ordinance amending the City of Laredo Fiscal Year 2006-2007 Special Fire Grant Budget to appropriate grant revenues and expenses from the 2006 State Homeland Security Grant Sub-Recipient agreement between the City of Laredo and the Texas Division of Emergency Management in the amount of $107,314.43. In addition, the acceptance and appropriation of the State Homeland Security grant through the State Law Enforcement Terrorism Prevention Program in the amount of $204,077.17. The total amount appropriated from the State Homeland Security program will be $311,391.60. Equipment received through the grant agreement will be used for the City’s Fire and Police Departments. The appropriation of the said grant revenue and expenditures will account for grant proceeds and equipment purchased through the grant and authorizing the City Manager to implement said budget amendment. The above said grant requires no in kind matching funds.
4. Public hearing and introductory ordinance amending the Zoning Ordinance (Map) of the City of Laredo by rezoning 2.02 acres, as further described by metes and bounds in attached Exhibit “A”, located at the East end of Basswood Drive, from R-1 (Single Family Residential District) to R-2 (Multi-Family Residential District). The Planning and Zoning Commission recommended denial of the zone change. District VI
IX. FINAL READING OF ORDINANCES
2007-O-045 Approving the public sale of a tract of land containing 88.6913-acres, more or less, legally described as Lot Numbers One (1), Two (2), and Three (3), in Block Number Two (2), Laredo International Airport Passenger Terminal Subdivision, as per Plat recorded in Volume 16, pages 45-47, Webb County Plat Records and authorizing the City Manager to execute all conveyance documents to sole bidder Laredo Town Center, L.P. in the amount of $15,865,000.00; the Laredo Town Center bid offer is subject to the closing being held sixty (60) days after City Council award of the sale instead of the thirty (30) days specified in the bid specifications, and further contingent upon Laredo Town Center receiving clear title to the subject property, and providing for an effective date.
2007-O-046 Amending the City of Laredo Fiscal Year 2006-2007 Veterans Field Fund by drawing down $55,000.00 from the Veterans Field Fund balance and appropriating said funds for the purchase of heavy equipment for the maintenance of Veterans Field.
2007-O-047 Authorizing the City Manager to accept grant funds from the South Texas Development Council (STDC) in the amount of $37,737.00 with no matching funds and to amend the Solid Waste Fund to appropriate said grant award. Funds will be used to buy an industrial grade paper shredder at a cost $27,737.00 in order that the Materials Recovery Center can recycle paper that has sensitive information, and $10,000.00 that will be used to promote and educate the public about recycling.
2007-O-048 Amending the Zoning Ordinance (Map) of the City of Laredo by rezoning Lots 1 and 3, Block 273, Western Division, located at 1504 Santa Maria Avenue, from R-3 (Mixed Residential District) to B-1 (Limited Commercial District), providing for severability and for an effective date and publication.
2007-O-049 Amending the Zoning Ordinance (Map) of the City of Laredo by rezoning Lot 1, Block 1, Morales Plat, located at 9219 F.M. 1472, from R-2 (Multi-family Residential District) and M-1 (Light Manufacturing District) to B-4 (Highway Commercial District), providing for severability and for an effective date and publication.
2007-O-050 Amending Ordinance No. 2006-O-311 authorizing a Special Use Permit for mini storage/warehousing, on Lots 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7 and 8, Block 1068, Eastern Division, located at 1320 South Meadow Avenue, by revising the site plan, providing for severability and for an effective date and publication.
2007-O-051 Amending the Zoning Ordinance (Map) of the City of Laredo by rezoning Lots 7 and 8, Block 24, Eastern Division, located at 602 Market Street, from B-3 (Community Business District) to B-4 (Highway Commercial District), providing for severability and for an effective date and publication.
2007-O-052 Amending the Zoning Ordinance (Map) of the City of Laredo by rezoning 9.11 acres, as further described by metes and bounds in attached Exhibit “A”, located on the North side of A.F. Muller Sr. Memorial Boulevard east of Hummingbird Boulevard, from M-1 (Light Manufacturing District) to R-1 (Single-Family Residential District) (Planned Unit Development District), providing for severability and for an effective date and publication.
2007-O-053 Authorizing the City Manager to execute a lease with UETA of Texas, Inc. for the lease of the tract of approximately 73,698.73 square feet tract of land located premises located south of Ventura Street and east of Santa Cleotilde Avenue, a copy of which is attached as Exhibit 1. Lease shall commence on August 7, 2007 and be for a term of twenty (20) years, with an option to renew for an additional ten (10) years. The annual rent shall be $52,000.00 payable in monthly installments of $4,333.33. (As amended)
2007-O-054 Authorizing the City Manager to execute all necessary documents to effectively convey fee simple title to the “Surface Only” at its adjusted market value of $11,533.00 for certain property described as a 7,717 square feet (0.1772 of an acre) tract of land, more or less, out of that former south one-half section of Canada between O’kane and Clark Streets to Adolfo Tellez; provided that the City of Laredo retains the entire tract as a utility easement, said tract being situated in the Eastern Division, City of Laredo, Webb County, Texas, being generally described on attached Exhibit “A”; and providing for an effective date.
2007-O-055 Authorizing the City Manager to execute all necessary documents to effectively convey two (2) City owned lots, namely, Lot 6, Block 643, Eastern Division and Lot 7, Block 700, Western Division, in the City of Laredo, Webb County, Texas, to Habitat for Humanity, Inc., in support of the construction of two (2) homes, and providing for an effective date.
2007-O-056 Authorizing the City Manager to convey fee simple title to the “surface only”, at its adjusted market value of $4,750.00, the 2,725.4 sq. ft. tract of land, more or less, out of that former triangular section of Blaine Street between Smith and Ejido Avenues, as shown by metes and bounds description in Exhibit “A” attached hereto, to purchasers, Humberto H. Ramirez and wife, Guadalupe L. Ramirez; provided however, that the City of Laredo retains and reserves the entire tract as a utility easement, and approving the plan as described in Exhibit “B”, under which purchasers will use the said property; and providing for effective date.
2007-O-057 Authorizing the City Manager to execute a Foreign Trade Zone Operations Agreement with Luka International Trading, Inc., as zone site operator within site III, located at 14610 Archer Drive, Killam Industrial Park, effective February 1, 2007, and ending on January 31, 2008, and may be extended for three (3) one (1) year terms ending on January 31, 2009; January 31, 2010; and January 31, 2011 and providing activation, administration and transaction fees be paid to the City; providing for an effective date.
6. 2007-R-022 Authorizing the City Manager to submit an application to the United States Foreign-Trade Zones Board for manufacturing authority on behalf of IUSA, S.A. de C.V. for an approximate 75-acre tract located within the Unitec Industrial Park Foreign-Trade Zone Site No. 6 for the purpose of constructing and operating a copper tubing manufacturing complex.
7. 2007-R-023 Rescinding Resolution 2001-R-033 approved on March 19, 2001 declaring the City of Laredo’s opposition to the proposed regional landfill on Highway 359.
XI. STAFF REPORTS
A. Status report by Elizabeth Alonzo, Laredo Municipal Housing Corporation Executive Director, regarding the Noise Compatibility Rental Program.
B. Staff report by Miguel A. Pescador, Parks and Recreation Department Director, regarding Slaughter Park, with possible action.
C. Update on the proposed split payment program for payment of property taxes by Elizabeth Martinez, Tax Department Director, with possible action.
9. Authorizing the City Manager to amend the existing retainer agreement with Law Offices of Baker Botts, LLP, by allotting an additional amount of $140,000.00 to pay for legal services related to the Open Meetings Act case, styled Martha Escamilla, Maria Gloria Gonzalez and Webb County, Texas vs. the City of Laredo, et. al., Cause No. 2004-CVQ-000450-D2, in the 111th District Court, Webb County, Texas.
10. Authorizing the City Manager to amend an existing contract with Attorney Bruce Wasinger, from the Law Firm of Bickerstaff, Health, Pollan & Caroom, L.L.P. for professional legal services related to the development of the City of Laredo’s Secondary Water Source Project by an additional amount of $10,327.50 not to exceed $60,326.50. Funding is available in the Legal Fees Water Availability Account.
11. Authorizing the City Manager to execute an Interlocal Agreement by and between the City of Laredo and Webb County to establish procedures for serving as a back-up public safety answering point for the Laredo Police Department and Webb County Sheriff’s Office.
12. Consideration for approval of amendment no. 1 an increase of $54,430.00 to the professional services contract with Drash Consulting Engineers, Laredo, Texas, for the Laredo International Airport Construction of Northeast Cargo Apron (Phase II), General Aviation Apron (Phase II) and Southwest Cargo Apron Concrete Pads Projects to provide laboratory, sampling, and testing services of materials quality assurance. Funding is available in the Airport Fund.
13. Consideration to exercise the renewal option for one additional year for contract number FY06-045 awarded to MO-VAC Environmental, McAllen, Texas, in the estimated annual amount of $30,000.00 for the transportation and disposal of leachate and contaminated water generated at the City of Laredo Landfill. Funding is available in the Solid Waste Department’s budget.
14. Consideration to authorize the purchase of one hundred and twenty three (123) Microsoft Office 2007 software licenses from SHI-Governmental Services, in the total amount of $37,117.00, through the State of Texas, Department of Information Resources (DIR), cooperative contract pricing. Funding is available in the Police Trust Fund budget.
15. Consideration to award contract number FY07-053, to the low bidders, Royal Laser Wash and Royal Treat Car Wash, for furnishing car wash services for the City's automotive fleet. Bids were requested for car wash services with and without inside vacuum and for locations throughout the Laredo city limits. All services are secured on an as needed basis. Funding is available in the Fleet Fund.
16. Consideration to authorize the purchase fifty four (54), new mobile radios for the Police Department, through the Houston Galveston Area Council of Governments (HGAC) cooperative contract pricing from Motorola Inc., in the total amount of $171,165.96. Funding is available from Police Trust Fund and 2006 Public Property Finance Contractual Obligation bond proceeds.
17. Consideration to award contract number FY07-070, to the low bidder meeting specifications, E Poly Star, San Leandro CA, in the amount of $99,600.00, for the purchase of 1.5 million plastic bags for use in the City's Recycling Program. Funding is available in the Solid Waste Services budget.
18. Consideration to authorize the installation of speed humps along Avenida Mexico between Avenida Los Presidentes and Monclova Drive in accordance with the speed hump installation policy under the special provision for installation; project costs are estimated at $3,600.00. Funding will be made available from Capital Improvement Projects - City Council District 1.
XIII. EXECUTIVE SESSION
The City Council hereby reserves the right to go into executive session at any time during this public meeting, if such is requested by the City Attorney or other legal counsel for the City, pursuant to his or her duty under Section 551.071(2) of the Government Code, to consult privately with his or her client on an item on the agenda, or on a matter arising out of such item.
19. Request for Executive Session pursuant to Section 551.071 (1) (A) of the Texas Government Code to consult with the City’s Attorney in the pending case of Martin Villarreal, et. al., v. City of Laredo, the Laredo Affordable Housing Corporation, MG Builders, WSC, Inc. and Trinity Testing Laboratories, Inc., Cause No. L-03-11, in the U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas, Laredo Division [Case pertaining to Los Obispos Affordable Housing Project]; and return to open session for possible action.
This notice was posted at the Municipal Government Offices, 1110 Houston Street, Laredo, Texas, at a place convenient and readily accessible to the public at all times. Said notice was posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 at 6:30 p.m.
Gustavo Guevara, Jr.