CITY OF LAREDO
CITY COUNCIL MEETING
CITY COUNCIL CHAMBERS
1110 HOUSTON STREET
LAREDO, TEXAS 78040
APRIL 2, 2007
DISABILITY ACCESS STATEMENT
Persons with disabilities who plan to attend this meeting and who may need auxiliary aid or services are requested to contact Gustavo Guevara, City Secretary at (956) 791-7308 at least two working days prior to the meeting so that appropriate arrangements can be made. The accessible entrance and accessible parking spaces are located at City Hall, 1100 Victoria Ave.
Out of consideration for all attendees of the City Council meetings, please turn off all cellular phones and pagers, or place on inaudible signal. Thank you for your consideration.
I. CALL TO ORDER
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL
V. COMMUNICATIONS AND RECOGNITIONS
Citizens are required to fill out a witness card and identify themselves at the microphone. Comments should be relevant to City business and delivered in a professional manner. No derogatory remarks will be permitted. There is a time limit of three minutes per speaker.
VI. APPOINTMENTS TO COMMISSIONS, BOARDS AND COMMITTEES
a. Appointment by Council Member Mike Garza of Marcos Moreno to the Airport Advisory Committee.
b. Appointment by Council Member Mike Garza of Albert Moreno to the Board of Adjustments.
VII. GENERAL COUNCIL DISCUSSIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
A. Request by Council Member Gene Belmares
1. Motion to instruct the City Manager to open discussions with Regional Land Management Services, LTD for a possible venture for a municipal landfill.
B. Request by Mayor Pro-Tempore Juan Ramirez
1. Discussion with possible action on requesting bids for the vending of food items in designated downtown areas.
2. Discussion with possible action on funding the advertising for the 5 de Mayo Celebration provided by the Avenida San Bernardo Association.
VIII. PUBLIC HEARINGS
2. Public hearing allowing interested persons to comment on the proposed amendment to the 2004 and 2005 Consolidated One-Year Action Plans by reprogramming 30th Action Year (AY) Community Development Block Grant funds of $200,000.00 and 31st AY CDBG funds of $300,000.00 by eliminating the funding for the East Side Sports Complex Project and allocating these funds for the proposed East Laredo Drainage Acquisition Project.
3. Public hearing and introductory ordinance amending Article IX [Swimming Pools] of Chapter 15 of the Code of Ordinances in order to provide for regulation of private swimming pools and providing for fines from $500.00 to $2,000.00 for violation of these new regulations relating to private swimming pools and spas; and providing for publication and an effective date.
4. Public hearing and introductory ordinance amending the City of Laredo 2006-2007 Annual Budget by appropriating expenses in the amount of $5,300,000.00 by drawing down the opening balance for water rights acquisitions.
IX. INTRODUCTORY ORDINANCES
5. Authorizing the City Manager to execute a supplemental lease agreement with the General Services Administration of certain properties as described therein for the construction of the Santa Ursula connector, in return for a grant of an easement by the City to GSA of a section of Convent Street, which supplemental agreement is attached as Exhibit A; and
2. Authorizing the City Manager to execute an easement to GSA of a 4,992 sq.ft. section of Convent Street for improvements to the Customs facility at International Bridge No. 1, and the form of said easement is shown on Exhibit B attached; and
3. This ordinance shall take effect on date of passage.
X. FINAL READING OF ORDINANCES
2007-O-045 Approving the public sale of a tract of land containing 88.6913-acres, more or less, legally described as Lot Numbers One (1), Two (2), and Three (3), in Block Number Two (2), Laredo International Airport Passenger Terminal Subdivision, as per Plat recorded in Volume 16, pages 45-47, Webb County Plat Records and authorizing the City Manager to execute all conveyance documents to sole bidder Laredo Town Center, L.P. in the amount of $15,865,000.00; the Laredo Town Center bid offer is subject to the closing being held sixty (60) days after City Council award of the sale instead of the thirty (30) days specified in the bid specifications, and further contingent upon Laredo Town Center receiving clear title to the subject property, and providing for an effective date.
2007-O-058 Amending the City of Laredo Fiscal Year 2006-2007 Bridge System Fund by appropriating revenues and expenditures in the amount of $910,000.00. The funds will be transferred from General Fund for the Bridge I Canopy Project.
2007-O-059 Amending the City of Laredo Fiscal Year 2006-2007 Special Fire Grant Budget to appropriate grant revenues and expenses from the 2006 State Homeland Security Grant Sub-Recipient agreement between the City of Laredo and the Texas Division of Emergency Management in the amount of $107,314.43. In addition, the acceptance and appropriation of the State Homeland Security grant through the State Law Enforcement Terrorism Prevention Program in the amount of $204,077.17. The total amount appropriated from the State Homeland Security program will be $311,391.60. Equipment received through the grant agreement will be used for the City’s Fire and Police Departments. The appropriation of the said grant revenue and expenditures will account for grant proceeds and equipment purchased through the grant and authorizing the City Manager to implement said budget amendment. The above said grant requires no in kind matching funds.
2007-O-060 Amending the Zoning Ordinance (Map) of the City of Laredo by rezoning 2.02 acres, as further described by metes and bounds in attached Exhibit “A”, located at the East end of Basswood Drive, from R-1 (Single Family Residential District) to R-2 (Multi-Family Residential District); providing for severability and for an effective date and publication.
7. 2007-R-027 Authorizing the City Manager to submit an application to the U. S. Department of Justice, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives Accelerant Detection Canine Program (ADCP) for a canine unit for the Laredo Fire Department and authorizing the City Manager to enter into a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives.
8. Consideration for approval of acceptance of the Water and Sanitary Sewer Improvements Phase I – Piedra China Street/Texas/Milmo Avenue Area in South Laredo and approval of final payment in the amount of $26,622.40 to ALC Construction, L.L.C., Laredo, Texas. Final construction contract amount is $271,228.00. Funding is available in the Waterworks 97 Bond Issue & Sewer 2003 Bond Issue – Texas/Milmo/Piedra China Project.
9. Consideration to exercise the renewal option for one additional year for contract number FY06-055 to vendor, Cantu Electric, Laredo, Texas, in the estimated annual amount of $300,000.00 for the furnishing of materials, machinery, equipment, labor and all other services necessary for the maintenance of street lights (not maintained by AEP-CPL) and the traffic signal lights throughout the city. The contract includes electrical service for traffic signals and street lights and for installation, construction, and underground work, for new and/or upgraded traffic signals and for the installation and maintenance of street lights. This contract also contains provisions for the City departmental electrical service projects and repairs. Funding is available in the General Fund Traffic Safety Budget, Capital Improvement Fund, 2006 C.O. and Airport Fund.
10. Consideration to exercise the renewal option for one additional year for contract number FY06-059 to vendor, Cantu Electric, Laredo, Texas, in the base annual amount of $47,730.00 for the maintenance of illumination systems along IH 35, Loop 20, Milo I, Milo II and FM 1472 for a term of one year. The contract vendor will be required to maintain, repair, and/or replace the various appurtenances related to the existing roadway assemblies. Funding is available in the Traffic Safety Budget.
11. Consideration to award contract number FY07-071 to the low bidder BWI Company, Schulenburg, Texas in the estimated amount of $25,000.00 for providing rye, bermuda seeds, fertilizer and paper block for mulching for the Parks and Recreation Department. The term of this contract will be for a six month period and may be extended for an additional six month period upon mutual consent of both parties. All items will be purchased on an as needed basis. Funding is available in the Parks and Recreation Department budget and construction projects.
12. Consideration to award contract FY07-043 to the low bidder Vulcan Construction Materials, San Antonio, Texas in the estimated amount of $193,050.00 for the purchase of rock (limestone) asphalt premix. The term of this contract is for one year period and is subject to the availability of funds. These materials are purchased on an as needed basis utilizing the Public Works Department, Utilities Department and construction project budgets.
13. Consideration to award contract to Coban Research and Technologies, Inc., Stafford, Texas for the purchase of fifty four (54) mobile data terminals with camera system in the total amount of $581,439.00 through the Houston Galveston Area Council of Governments cooperative purchasing program. These will be installed on the fifty four (54) new police sedans scheduled for delivery. Funding is available in the 2006 Public Property Finance Contractual Obligation bond proceeds and Police Trust Fund.
14. Consideration to authorize the purchase of two (2) diesel engine backup generators for the Fire Department from Waukesha-Pearce Industries, Houston, Texas, through the Houston Galveston Area Council of Governments (H-GAC) cooperative purchasing program in the total amount of $48,972.66. Funding is available in the 2006 Public Property Finance Contractual Obligation bond proceeds.
15. Consideration to approve the purchase of one (1) New iSeries, AS400 9046-520 P10, OS400 Production Software License (WebFOCUS) to facilitate the Budget Department to provide the budget in electronic format with drilldown capability. Fee includes Software, 1st year maintenance, and installation and configuration services in a total amount not to exceed $84,000.00. Funding is available in the Information Technology and Support Services and Budget Department budgets.
16. Consideration to award contract FY07-064 to Resource Recycling Services, Ingleside, Texas, for the collection, transportation, and disposal services for used automotive motor oil and filters from City of Laredo - Do-It Yourself Centers, Fleet Maintenance Division and the Transit System. The term of this contract will be for a one year period with an option to extend this contract for two, one year terms. The City will be paid $0.75/gal for used motor oil and there will no charge for the other services. The last contract period the City was paid $0.33/gal. Funds will be deposited in the respective department’s revenue account.
17. Authorizing the City Manager to execute a contract for the purchase of 1000 acre/feet per annum municipal water rights from Santa Cruz Irrigation District No. 15 for the sum of $1,600,000.00. Funding is available in the Water Availability Fund.
XIII. EXECUTIVE SESSION
The City Council hereby reserves the right to go into executive session at any time during this public meeting, if such is requested by the City Attorney or other legal counsel for the City, pursuant to his or her duty under Section 551.071(2) of the Government Code, to consult privately with his or her client on an item on the agenda, or on a matter arising out of such item.
18. Request for Executive Session pursuant to Section 551.071 (1) (A) of the Texas Government Code to consult with attorneys representing the City of Laredo regarding pending appeal of the Open Meetings Act law suit of Martha Escamilla, Maria Gloria Gonzalez, and Webb County, Texas, vs. the City of Laredo, Cause No. 2004-CVQ000450-D2, in the 111th District Court, Webb County, Texas and return to open session for possible action.
XIV. RECESS AS THE LAREDO CITY COUNCIL AND CONVENE AS THE LAREDO MASS TRANSIT BOARD
19. Consideration to award contract FY07-042 to GeoStats in Atlanta, Georgia in the amount of $59,967.00 for a System-Wide Boarding and Alighting Study for the City of Laredo-Laredo Transit Management, Inc., El Metro Bus System. Funding is available in the FTA Grant TX-438-1998 in the Transit System Fund.
XV. ADJOURN AS THE LAREDO MASS TRANSIT BOARD AND RECONVENE AND ADJOURN AS THE LAREDO CITY COUNCIL
This notice was posted at the Municipal Government Offices, 1110 Houston Street, Laredo, Texas, at a place convenient and readily accessible to the public at all times. Said notice was posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 at 8:00 p.m.
Gustavo Guevara, Jr.