CITY OF LAREDO
CITY COUNCIL MEETING
CITY COUNCIL CHAMBERS
1110 HOUSTON STREET
LAREDO, TEXAS 78040
MAY 21, 2007
DISABILITY ACCESS STATEMENT
Persons with disabilities who plan to attend this meeting and who may need auxiliary aid or services are requested to contact Gustavo Guevara, City Secretary at (956) 791-7308 at least two working days prior to the meeting so that appropriate arrangements can be made. The accessible entrance and accessible parking spaces are located at City Hall, 1100 Victoria Ave.
Out of consideration for all attendees of the City Council meetings, please turn off all cellular phones and pagers, or place on inaudible signal. Thank you for your consideration.
I. CALL TO ORDER
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL
V. COMMUNICATIONS AND RECOGNITIONS
a. Recognition of the 2007 School Bell Awards Recipients.
b. Recognition of Yu Juan “Rena Ren”, of the Library Department, on her selection as May 2007 employee of the month.
a. Presentation by Webb County Commissioner Jerry Garza of a $5,000.00 donation to the All America Award Program.
b. Presentation titled "Council for Educational Excellence" by Dr. Juan L. Maldonado, President Elect, Laredo Community College.
Citizens are required to fill out a witness card and identify themselves at the microphone. Comments should be relevant to City business and delivered in a professional manner. No derogatory remarks will be permitted. There is a time limit of three minutes per speaker.
VI. APPOINTMENTS TO COMMISSIONS, BOARDS AND COMMITTEES
a. Appointment by Mayor Raul G. Salinas of Ignacio Alaniz, Fred De Luna, Starr Zolton, Benjamin Hinojosa, and Manuel Guerra to the Building Standards Board.
b. Appointment by Mayor Raul G. Salinas of Steven L. Mondragon, P.H.D., Edna Castañeda, Jorge Gonzalez, and Sonia Benavides to the Housing Finance Corporation Board.
c. Confirmation of Robert Saucedo, Monica Perales Garcia, Carolyn Wilbur, Crisanta Musset, Tracey Melendez and Robert Palomin to the Keep Laredo Beautiful, Inc. Board of Directors.
VII. GENERAL COUNCIL DISCUSSIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
A. Request by Council Member Dr. Michael Landeck
1. Discussion with possible action on issues related to the wetlands and green space of Lake Casa Blanca with presentations by Remy Salinas and Dr. Jim Earhart.
B. Request by Council Member Juan Chavez
1. Motion to sell, through a bidding process, most surplus residential lots, and residential homes with possible action.
2. Status report on the water conservation enforcement, with possible action
C. Request by Mayor Pro-Tempore Juan Ramirez
1. Discussion with possible action on the Fourth of July Parade.
2. Discussion with possible action to consider designating the south side of the Seven Flags Park located at 1508 Monterrey Street to the Laredo Girls Soccer League.
VIII. PUBLIC HEARINGS
2. Public hearing and introductory ordinance authorizing the City Manager to execute a two (2) year concession agreement between the City of Laredo and Miguel Angel Inclan, D.B.A “La Sabrosita” for the right to sell food and non-alcoholic beverages from a cart at the corners of Lincoln and Convent, and Hidalgo and Convent for a total lease amount of $565.00 per month.
3. Public hearing and introductory ordinance amending the City of Laredo Fiscal Year 2006-2007 Convention and Visitor’s Bureau Budget by appropriating revenues and expenditures in the amount of $30,000.00 for the All America City Award Program and accepting the donations from various businesses and/or agencies that will help defray the cost of the competition.
4. Public hearing and introductory ordinance authorizing the City Manager to sign the supplemental agreement to the standard utility agreement of March 12, 2007, with the Texas Department of Transportation, a copy of which is attached as Exhibit A; authorizing and amendment to the Fiscal Year 2006-2007 Sanitary Sewer Construction TXDOT improvements line item to increase the amount appropriated to $81,310.00 for construction of a wastewater line at the Highway Loop 20 from 0.2 miles North of Spur 400 to 1.68 miles North of US Highway 59; and authorizing Kiewit Texas Construction L.P. to construct the sanitary sewer line as proposed in the supplemental agreement No.1 U-11024 approved by the Texas Department of Transportation.
5. Public hearing and introductory ordinance amending the Zoning Ordinance (Map) of the City of Laredo by authorizing a Special Use Permit for a communication tower on .92 acres, as further described by metes and bounds in attached Exhibit “A”, located on the West side of Bob Bullock Loop North of Winfield Parkway. The Planning & Zoning Commission recommended approval of the Special Use Permit. District VI
6. Public hearing and introductory ordinance amending the Zoning Ordinance (Map) of the City of Laredo by rezoning 9.98 acres, as further described by metes and bounds in attached Exhibit “A”, located North of Shiloh Drive East of Livingston Drive, from R-1 (Single-Family Residential District) to R-2 (Multi-Family Residential District). The Planning & Zoning Commission recommended approval of the zone change. District VI
7. Public hearing and introductory ordinance amending the Zoning Ordinance (Map) of the City of Laredo by rezoning all of Blocks 1713 and 1782 and 15,433.46 square feet out of New York Avenue, bounded on the North by the South line of Chacon Street, on the East by the West line of Block 1782, Eastern Division, as further described by metes and bounds in attached “Exhibit A”, from R-3 (Mixed Residential District) to R-2 (Multi-Family Residential District). The Planning & Zoning Commission recommended approval of the zone change. District III
8. Public hearing and introductory ordinance amending the Zoning Ordinance (Map) of the City of Laredo by authorizing a Conditional Use Permit for a duplex on Lots 1, 2 and 3, Block 998, Eastern Division, located at 1803 Chacon Street. The Planning & Zoning Commission recommended approval of the Conditional Use Permit. District III
9. Public hearing and introductory ordinance amending the Zoning Ordinance (Map) of the City of Laredo by rezoning .72 acres, as further described by metes and bounds in attached Exhibit “A”, located at 18211 F.M. 1472, from AG (Agricultural District) to B-4 (Highway Commercial District). The Planning & Zoning Commission recommended denial of the zone change. District VII
IX. INTRODUCTORY ORDINANCES
10. Defining the actual and necessary expenses which may be reimbursed to the Mayor and Council Members pursuant to Section 2.02 of the City Charter and providing for the procedures for such reimbursement.
11. Authorizing the City Manager to execute a Ground Lease with T-Mobile Texas, LP, a Delaware limited partnership, for ground space at 2417 N. New York Avenue, Laredo, Webb County, Texas and being more fully described in Exhibit “A” of Ground Lease, to construct on such premises an equipment building or cabinets on a platform and a 110’ monopole tower (“Tower”), more fully described in Exhibit “C” of the lease agreement, for the purpose of providing cell services and for co-locations, if approved by Landlord, and related equipment for use in connection with its communications business. The term of the lease is five (5) years commencing June 5, 2007 and ending June 4, 2012 with four (4) successive renewal terms of five (5) years. Annual base rent shall be $15,000.00 each year during the term of the lease and will be increased by five percent (5%) on each anniversary of the commencement date, providing for effective date.
X. FINAL READING OF ORDINANCES
2007-O-085 Amending the City of Laredo Fiscal Year 2007 Solid Waste Fund Budget by appropriating a drawdown of $1,609,960.00 from the opening balance and appropriating it for equipment acquisition. The project consists of a Holt Cat Excavator, John Deere Dozer and (2) two Articulated Dump Trucks. The bid price includes provisions for a five year warranty.
2007-O-086 Accepting funds in the amount of $10,710.00 from the South Texas 9-1-1 Regional Administration Division to cost share personnel at the Laredo Police Department Public Safety Answering Point in accordance with Section 771.0751 of the Texas Health and Safety Code and Rule 251.3 Use of Revenue in Certain Counties from the Commission of State Emergency Communications; and amending Fiscal Year 2006-2007 General Fund Budget of the City of Laredo by appropriating revenues and expenditures in the amount of $10,710.00 for salary expense for the Laredo Police Department Communications Division salaries.
2007-O-087 Authorizing the City Manager to accept and execute the Local Projects Grant Program in the amount of $10,000.00 from the Texas Department of State Health Services and to amend the Fiscal Year 2006-2007 Special Fire Grant budget to appropriate the said grant award. The funds will be used to purchase one (1) Life Pak 12 EKG which will replace the current aging EKG equipment.
2007-O-088 Authorizing the City Manager to exercise the first five year renewal option for the lease agreement by and between the City of Laredo, and Greyhound Lines, Inc. /Valley Transit Company joint venture for a certain premise of 5,000 square feet of commercial area together with a bus parking area containing approximately 18,000 square feet at the Laredo Intermodal Transit Center and described as all of Block Number 49, located in the Western Division, City of Laredo, Webb County, Texas. The term of the lease shall commence on July 1, 2007 and end on June 30, 2012, for the monthly rent of $9,572.61 per month.
2007-O-089 An ordinance deleting Section 24.1.7 [Tree Board] of the Land Development Code to abolish the Tree Board; and amending Section 23-18 [Duties] of Article II [Parks and Recreation Board] of Chapter 23 [Parks and Recreation] of the Code of Ordinances, to add to the duties of that board, the duties formerly carried out by the Tree Board; and amending Section 23-16 [Established] to provide for ex-officio members for the Parks and Recreation Board. The Planning and Zoning Commission recommended approval of this item.
13. 2007-R-034 Authorizing the City Manager to enter into and execute an Interlocal Agreement between the City of Laredo, Webb County Sheriff’s Office, Texas Department of Public Safety, Texas Parks and Wildlife Parks Division, and the Texas Parks and Wildlife Law Enforcement Division, for a three year period beginning June 1, 2007 and ending May 31, 2010. The purpose of this Memorandum of Understanding is to solidify the area’s law enforcement agencies commitment to assist Texas Parks and Wildlife in providing law enforcement response and services to the Lake Casa Blanca International State Park.
14. 2007-R-036 Authorizing the Mayor of the City of Laredo to execute the Metropolitan Planning Contract between the Texas Department of Transportation, the Laredo Urban Transportation Study which has been designated the Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) for the Laredo Urbanized area, and the City of Laredo, which serves as the fiscal agent for the MPO.
15. 2007-R-037 Authorizing the City Manager to accept a grant in the amount of $20,000.00 from the Texas Department of Transportation to fund the Click it or Ticket Program. The Texas Department of Transportation will be designating $20,000.00 and the City of Laredo will be designating $5,490.00 in matching funds. The funding period for this grant will be from October 1, 2006 through September 30, 2007.
16. 2007-R-039 Authorizing the City Manager to execute an agreement between the City of Laredo and Laredo Independent School District to provide library services at Cigarroa High School for the South Laredo area. Funding is available in the General Fund-Library Department.
17. 2007-R-041 Adopting and directing the implementation of the guidelines and standards for assignment of municipal vehicles, and for the provision of travel allowances in lieu of assignment of a municipal vehicle to certain directors and other employees of the City, as set forth in attached Exhibit A.
18. 2007-R-042 Approving amendment No. 2 of the Operating Agreement between the City of Laredo and Arena Ventures, L.L.C. to provide an estimated $412,000.00 with assistance in deferring such costs as the following: Renewal and Replacement fund, Casualty, Boiler and Machinery, and General Liability insurance and marketing expenditures. Funding is available in the Arena Fund, Risk Fund, and Hotel Motel Fund.
19. Appointment of Mayor Pro Tempore as per Ordinance 90-O-101. City Council shall confirm one of the Council Members who shall be known and designated as Mayor Pro Tempore.
20. Authorizing the City Manager to execute two addendums to existing Interlocal Agreements for E9-1-1 Service, PSAP Equipment, and Address/Addressing Maintenance between the City of Laredo and individually the Counties of Webb, Starr, Jim Hogg, and Zapata, and Cities of Roma, Rio Grande City, and Laredo which further outline 9-1-1 database maintenance responsibilities for each.
21. Authorizing the City Manager to execute a contract with The Waters Consulting Group, Inc. for consulting services for an organization analysis study in the amount of $39,000.00 plus project related expenses. Funding is available in the General Fund.
22. Consideration to award contract 07-110 to A-1 Dry Cleaners, Laredo, Texas, in the estimated amount of $57,720.00 for dry cleaning services for uniformed police officers; and consideration to award contract FY07-109 to Valu Care Cleaners, Laredo, Texas, in the estimated amount of $32,940.00 for providing dry cleaning services for non uniformed police officers. The City must provide dry cleaning services as a condition of the Collective Bargaining Agreement. The term of these agreements shall be for one year with an option to renew for one (1) additional year. Funding is available in the Police Department Budget.
23. Consideration for approval of change order no. 1 an increase of $71,335.00 for additional dense concrete overlay repair, additional concrete pavement reconstruction and additional clean/sealing pavement joints and to add ten (10) working days to the contract time to the construction contract with Restek, Inc., Austin, Texas, for the Laredo Colombia International Bridge Superstructure Rehabilitation. Current construction contract amount is $503,972.90. Funding is available in the Laredo Bridge System Fund – Revenue Bond 2005A.
24. Consideration to authorize the purchase of two articulated dump trucks and one excavator in the total amount of $1,088,500.00 from Holt Caterpillar, Laredo, Texas; and one landfill dozer in the total amount of $509,500.00 from RDO Equipment Company, Mercedes, Texas for the Solid Waste Department. Funding is available in the Solid Waste budget.
25. Authorizing the award of a contract in the amount of $210,977.20 to Kimley-Horn and Associates, Inc., for the development of plans to implement the initial phase of the City of Laredo Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) Master Plan. Funding is available from the Federal Surface Transportation Funds.
26. Consideration to award contract FY07-091 to the low bidder, UTW Tire Company, Laredo, Texas, in the estimated amount of $120,000.00 for the removal and disposal of tires at the City Landfill. Staff estimates that 600 tons of used tires will be disposed per year. Funding is available in the Solid Waste budget.
27. Authorization to award and execute a contract with Ricardo Aguero DBA Larecon, LLC of Laredo, Texas, in the amount of $54,157.50 for the emergency by-pass pumping of the existing sanitary sewer flows. The contract consists of the installation, mobilization and one week rent of by-pass pumps including the forklift to move the equipment to two (2) different locations. Funding is available in the 2006 Sewer Bond-TXDOT US Highway 59/Loop 20/US Highway 359 Project Account.
28. Refund of property tax in the amount of $1,914.23 payable to First American Title Insurance Company of Texas due to an overpayment from Account #945-00851-396.
29. Approving monthly adjustments to the tax roll. The amounts to be adjusted for the month of April 2007, represents a decrease of $12,025.14. These adjustments are determined by Webb County Appraisal District and by court orders.
30. Consideration to award contract FY07-116 to Gutierrez Machine Shop, Laredo, Texas in the estimated amount of $140,000.00 for professional welding services for the Utilities Department. The services requested include site repairs to various water and wastewater treatment plants, lift stations, and other municipal utility facilities. The contract takes into account the following hourly pay rates; regular, overtime, holiday, service call, and the cost of materials. Funding is available in the Utilities Department budget.
31. Award of a construction contract to the lowest bidder Landmark Structures Inc., Fort Worth, Texas in the amount of $1,960,654.00 for the construction of the Sierra Vista 1.5 Million Gallon Elevated Storage Tank to be located Northeast of Hwy 83 and La Pita Mangana Rd. The 1.5 Million Gallon Elevated Storage Tank will provide adequate pressure to the immediate area and will provide the adequate water storage capacity for the summer peak demands. The contract will be awarded with a construction time of 400 calendar days. Funding is available in the 1997, 1999, 2000, 2005 and 2006 Water Bond Issuance.
32. Consideration to authorize a two year contract with Verizon Wireless, Laurel, MD, for providing digital wireless broadband service at a unit cost of $48.59 per account per month for the Police and Fire Departments. Wireless broadband network is required to provide the communication link between the Police/Fire Dispatch center to mobile data terminals (MDT) installed on first responder vehicles and notebook computers. There is a current requirement for 272 units however the number of active accounts is contingent upon the needs of the Police and Fire Departments and available funding. Based on 272 units the estimated annual cost would be $158,597.76. Funding is available in the Police and Fire Departments budgets.
33. Consideration to award contracts to 30 qualified book vendors for library materials collection development for books and audio-visual products for a period of two years. Subject to future budget appropriations. Funding is available in the Library Department Budget.
XIII. STAFF REPORTS
A. Presentation by Jessica L. Newsome-Hein, Communications and Administrative Services Director, regarding the 3-1-1 customer service program.
B. Presentation on the “Amerisafe-America Segura” campaign that promotes an attitude of safety at the U.S. border with Mexico, by Mr. Al Gamez, Marketing Director for SafeMex, a travel assistance service.
XIV. EXECUTIVE SESSION
The City Council hereby reserves the right to go into executive session at any time during this public meeting, if such is requested by the City Attorney or other legal counsel for the City, pursuant to his or her duty under Section 551.071(2) of the Government Code, to consult privately with his or her client on an item on the agenda, or on a matter arising out of such item.
XV. RECESS AS THE LAREDO CITY COUNCIL AND CONVENE AS THE LAREDO MUNICIPAL HOUSING CORPORATION
35. Consideration for approval to award a construction contract to the lowest bidder ALC Construction, LLC., Laredo, Texas, in the amount of $104,000.00 for the Re-Roofing Project at the Jose Flores Apartments (18 Duplexes Complex). Funding is available in the Laredo Municipal Housing Corporation Fund.
XVI. RECESS AS THE LAREDO MUNICIPAL HOUSING CORPORATION AND CONVENE AS THE LAREDO MASS TRANSIT BOARD
36. 2007-RT-001 Authorizing the City of Laredo to file an application with the Department of Transportation, Federal Transit Administration, United States of America, in the amount of $3,658,679.00 for Fiscal Year 2006-2007 and authorizing the City Manager to execute all related documents.
37. 2007-RT-002 Authorizing the City Manager to apply for Federal Public Transportation funds in the amount of $2,220,000.00 with the Federal Transit Administration, Department of Transportation which is authorized to distribute federal funds for transit capital under the bus and bus facilities discretionary program grants (Section 5309).
38. 2007-RT-003 Authorizing the City Manager to apply for public transportation funds in the amount of $1,390,000.00 with the Texas Department of Transportation which is authorized to apply for Federal funds for transit capital under the bus and bus facilities discretionary program grants (Section 5309).
39. Consideration to award supply contracts (FY07-088) to the low bidders, Hollon Oil Company, Weslaco, Texas in the estimated amount of $58,625.04, Lubrication Engineers, Inc., Fort Weslaco, Texas, in the estimated amount of $43,716.00, Arguindegui Oil Company, Laredo, Texas in the estimated amount of $7,154.00 and Oil Patch Petroleum, Inc., Laredo, Texas, in the amount of $2,088.00 for the purchase of engine oil and lubricants for the El Metro automotive fleet. The bid pricing will be for a one (1) year, with a one (1) year option and all items will be purchased on an as needed basis. Funding is available in the El Metro Operations Fund.
XVII. RECESS AS THE LAREDO MASS TRANSIT AND RECONVENE AND ADJOURN AS THE CITY OF LAREDO
This notice was posted at the Municipal Government Offices, 1110 Houston Street, Laredo, Texas, at a place convenient and readily accessible to the public at all times. Said notice was posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 at 7:30 p.m.
Gustavo Guevara, Jr.