CITY OF LAREDO
CITY COUNCIL MEETING
CITY COUNCIL CHAMBERS
1110 HOUSTON STREET
LAREDO, TEXAS 78040
APRIL 16, 2007
I. APPOINTMENTS TO COMMISSIONS, BOARDS AND COMMITTEES
a. Appointment by Council Member Hector J. Garcia of Maria G. Franco to the Para Transit Advisory Committee.
II. GENERAL COUNCIL DISCUSSIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
A. Request by Council Member Johnny Rendon
1. Status report on the Windfield & Alexander Subdivisions’ signal light project, with possible action. (Co-sponsored by Council Member Gene Belmares)
B. Request by Council Member Gene Belmares
1. Motion to instruct the City Manager to open discussions with Regional Land Management Services, LTD for a possible venture for a municipal landfill. (Co-sponsored by Council Member Hector J. Garcia)
III. INTRODUCTORY ORDINANCE
2. Authorizing the City Manager to execute all necessary documents to convey a twelve-foot wide easement (containing 6,340 square feet) to AEP Texas Central Company for the installation of electrical facilities at the wastewater treatment plant in Unitec Industrial Park. Said 6,340 square foot easement being situated in Santiago Sanchez, Original Grantee, Porcion 12, Abstract 278, City of Laredo, Webb County, Texas being out of a 20.00 acre tract of land owned by the City of Laredo as per deed recorded in Volume 272, Page 651 of the Webb County Deed Records; and described by metes and bounds and survey attached as Exhibit A; and providing for an effective date.
3. Consideration to amend the existing Miss Texas USA® Pageant Hosting Agreement, a multi-year contract with Crystal Group, Inc. a Texas Corporation, to increase the contract amount from $84,225 to $279,225 for fiscal year 2007, to include costs to meet contractual obligations of the City of Laredo, found in Schedule II, Items 1, 10, and 11 of the Hosting Agreement; and to limit the financial responsibility of the City for Schedule II, Items 1, 10, and 11 to $195,000.00, with exceptions to the limit. Funding is available in the Laredo Convention & Visitors Bureau budget.
4. Consideration for approval of a professional services contract with Puig Engineering, LLC., Laredo, Texas, for design and construction plans for a TxDot/City special fast track flood control drainage project at Rancho Viejo Subdivision Area and FM 1472 (Mines Road) for an amount not to exceed $41,000.00. Construction of the project is to be handled in two parts – Part A by TxDot in the area of their jurisdiction along the FM 1472 Right-of-Way and Part B by the City along the drainage channel within Rancho Viejo Subdivision. Project bidding and construction supervision will be negotiated at a later date if this phase of services is required. The project is mostly a maintenance effort to enhance the existing drainage culverts and channels and foremost to enhance flood protection. Funding is available in the 1998 Contractual Obligations Issue Fund.
5. Amending that motion (#53) adopted on December 18, 2006, that authorized the City Manager to enter into a lease purchase agreement for the purchase of a digital information system with Sungard H.T.E. in the amount $1,453,265.64, by substituting that vendor with Government Capital Corporation as the financing entity. Funding is available in the Police Trust Fund and the Fire Department budgets.
IV. EXECUTIVE SESSION
The City Council hereby reserves the right to go into executive session at any time during this public meeting, if such is requested by the City Attorney or other legal counsel for the City, pursuant to his or her duty under Section 551.071(2) of the Government Code, to consult privately with his or her client on an item on the agenda, or on a matter arising out of such item.
This notice was posted at the Municipal Government Offices, 1110 Houston Street, Laredo, Texas, at a place convenient and readily accessible to the public at all times. Said notice was posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 at 5:30 p.m.
Gustavo Guevara, Jr.