CITY OF LAREDO
CITY COUNCIL MEETING
CITY COUNCIL CHAMBERS
1110 HOUSTON STREET
LAREDO, TEXAS 78040
JANUARY 7, 2008
DISABILITY ACCESS STATEMENT
Persons with disabilities who plan to attend this meeting and who may need auxiliary aid or services are requested to contact Gustavo Guevara, City Secretary at (956) 791-7308 at least two working days prior to the meeting so that appropriate arrangements can be made. The accessible entrance and accessible parking spaces are located at City Hall, 1100 Victoria Ave.
Out of consideration for all attendees of the City Council meetings, please turn off all cellular phones and pagers, or place on inaudible signal. Thank you for your consideration.
I. CALL TO ORDER
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL
V. COMMUNICATIONS AND RECOGNITIONS
a. Recognition of Shashi and Priya Vaswani for being named Laredoans of the Year.
b. Recognition of Luis Alvarez for his voluntary assistance as mechanic for the visitors and paisanos during the holidays.
c. Recognition of the Traffic Department for their assistance with the installation of the traffic signal at Loop 20 and Merida.
Citizens are required to fill out a witness card and identify themselves at the microphone. Comments should be relevant to City business and delivered in a professional manner. No derogatory remarks will be permitted. There is a time limit of three minutes per speaker.
VI. APPOINTMENTS TO COMMISSIONS, BOARDS AND COMMITTEES
Appointment by Council Member Dr. Michael Landeck of Rafael Martinez to the Board of Adjustments Committee.
GENERAL COUNCIL DISCUSSIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
A. Request by Council Member Mike Garza
1. Providing discretionary funding for the replacement, repair and security of the military memorials that were vandalized.
2. Discussion with possible action on a pay increase for the position of the Municipal Court Judge.
B. Request by Council Member Dr. Michael Landeck
1. Discussion with possible action on planning of transportation control and routes adjacent to international bridges - especially during high congestion periods.
C. Request by Council Member Johnny Amaya
1. Discussion with possible action on installing shade canopy structures along Zacate Creek Linear parks.
2. Discussion with possible action to construct sidewalks on the following streets by using District V Discretionary Funds:
· 900 Taylor – South Side
· 1300 Price – South Side
· 2200 San Leonardo – West Side
· 4400 Hendricks – West Side
· 500 Taylor – South
· 2200 San Eduardo – West.
D. Request by Council Member Juan Ramirez
1. Status report on the Request for Proposals for the water park, with possible action.
2. Discussion with possible action on the future convention center for the downtown area.
3. Discussion with possible action on improving the front section of the Civic Center along San Bernardo Avenue.
VII. PUBLIC HEARINGS
2. Public hearing and introductory ordinance amending the City of Laredo Health Department Fiscal Year 2007-2008 annual budget by appropriating revenues and expenses in the amount of $33,882.00 from the Serving Children and Adolescents in Need (SCAN), Inc., a partnership for services to be provided by the Department’s HIV Program of HIV outreach, HIV testing, pre and post test counseling and pre-treatment services for the term from January 1, 2008 through September 30, 2008; and amending the Fiscal Year 2007-2008 full time equivalent positions, by creating one (1) Health Educator position contingent upon availability of grant funds, and authorizing the City Manager to execute the contract.
3. Public hearing and introductory ordinance amending the City of Laredo Health Department Fiscal Year 2007-2008 budget by appropriating revenues and expenditures in the amount of $175,979.00 from the Texas Department of State Health Services for continuation of the Department’s Tuberculosis Prevention & Control Federal Project for the period beginning January 1, 2008 through December 31, 2008 and authorizing the City Manager to execute the contract.
4. Public hearing and introductory ordinance authorizing the City Manager to accept and execute a funding agreement with the Texas Department of Transportation in the amount of $19,050,000.00 with a local match of $1,496,480.00 and to amend the FY 2007-2008 Capital Grants fund by appropriating said funds for the proposed reconstruction of streets located within the truck route and various industrial parks.
5. Public hearing and introductory ordinance authorizing the City Manager to accept and execute a funding agreement with the Texas Department of Transportation in the amount of $4,091,400.00 with a local match of $359,626.39 and to amend the Fiscal Year 2007-2008 Capital Grant Fund by appropriating said funds for the proposed construction of seven (7) new toll/inspection booths, to be located at the World Trade Bridge.
VIII. INTRODUCTORY ORDINANCES
6. Setting the new speed limit on the .236 miles section of FM 3338 located within the City limits of Laredo, Webb County, Texas, as defined in the Texas Department of Transportation Control Section Map 3532-02, as 60 MPH from 50 MPH, providing for the installation of appropriate signs to indicate new speed changes in the designated areas and providing for publication and effective date.
7. Amending the Community Development Department Fiscal Year 2007-2008 Full-Time Equivalent positions by creating one (1) full-time Noise Abatement Specialist position with benefits, in the Community Development Department, Real Estate Division, Noise Abatement Program. Funding is available through monetary grants received from the Federal Aviation Administration through its Airport Improvements Program Grants 40 and 47 Noise Abatement and Airport Construction Fund, respectively.
IX. FINAL READING OF ORDINANCES
2008-O-001 Accepting a grant in the amount of $25,000.00 from the Texas Department of Transportation for enforcement of Impaired Driver Mobilization and amending the City of Laredo’s Fiscal Year 2007-2008 Annual Budget/Special Police in the amount of $25,000.00. This grant is for overtime salaries, including fringe benefits, and is funded 100% by the Texas Department of Transportation for a full year.
2008-O-002 Authorizing the City Manager to accept a donation from the family of Amanda G. and Jose Maria Guerra in the amount of $1,000.00 and amending and appropriating the City of Laredo Fiscal Year 2007-2008 annual budget. Funds will be deposited in the Friends of the Library Fund and will be used to purchase books and DVDs about Alzheimer’s disease for the Main Library.
2008-O-003 Authorizing the City Manager to accept the Texas Department of Transportation Section 5307 Grant No. 51822F7052 for $667,123.00 and amending the Fiscal Year 2007-2008 Transit Budget by increasing the State Operating Grant contribution and decreasing Transit Sales Tax match for operating expenses by $208,902.00.
2008-O-004 Authorizing the City Manager to execute a Memorandum of Understanding between the Laredo Police Department and the United States Marshals Service (USMS), and to accept monetary reimbursement from the U. S. Department of Justice and U. S. Marshals Service for salary expenses not to exceed $15,572.00 annually per officer, incurred by the City of Laredo Police Department for the Fugitive Apprehension Task Force Operation; and amending the City of Laredo’s FY2007-08 budget in the amount of 75,000.
2008-O-005 Amending the City of Laredo Health Department Fiscal Year 2007-2008 budget by appropriating revenues and expenditures in the amount of $145,933.00 of additional funds from the Texas Department of State Health Services for the Health Department Public Health Preparedness and Epidemiology Program (Pandemic Influenza), for a total amount awarded of $377,542.00. The term is to be changed from ending on August 31, 2008 to end on July 31, 2008, and requesting to amend the approved full-time equivalent positions.
2008-O-006 Amending the City of Laredo Health Department Fiscal Year 2007-2008 annual budget by decreasing revenues to the total award amount of $23,227.00 from the Texas Department of State Health Services, with an in-kind amount of $17,421.00 from L.I.S.D. and expenditures to $40,648.00 for the continuation of the Health Department’s Abstinence Education Program, term from October 1, 2007 through December 31, 2007.
2008-O-007 Accepting a grant in the amount of $20,829.00 from the U.S. Department of Justice and amending the City of Laredo’s Fiscal Year 2007-2008 annual budget in the amount of $20,829.00. This grant is part of the Bulletproof Vest Partnership Program which will pay for 50% of the total cost of all approved ballistic protective body armor. The grant period is valid through September 30, 2012.
2008-O-008 Amending the Zoning Ordinance (Map) of the City of Laredo by rezoning Lot 8, Block 2, Moreno Addition, located at 1820 Harding Avenue, from R-1 (Single Family Residential District) to R-2 (Multi-Family Residential District); providing for an effective date and publication.
2008-O-009 Amending the Zoning Ordinance (Map) of the City of Laredo by rezoning 4.85 acres, as further described by metes and bounds in attached Exhibit “A”, located northwest of intersection of McPherson Road and Shiloh Drive, from R-1 (Single Family Residential District) to B-3 (Community Business District); providing for an effective date and publication.
2008-O-010 Amending the City of Laredo Fiscal Year 2007-2008 Annual Budget for the Certificate of Obligation Series 2006 Fund by appropriating revenues and expenses in the amount of $290,746.00 which is derived by interest earnings of $115,746.00 and $175,000.00 from the Webb County Local Government and authorizing usage of $665,000.00 from the 2007 C.O. by deferring $555,000.00 from Independence Park and transferring $110,000.00 from District I Discretionary Funds in order to complete the funding for the El Eden Recreation Center.
2008-O-011 Amending the City of Laredo Drug and Alcohol Policy and Procedures Manual ( adopted by Resolution No. 95-R-068), together with the Addendum (Ordinance No. 97-O-020), by expanding the Drug and Alcohol Testing Policy and Procedure to include random testing of all those employees whose jobs fall within the expanded definition of safety sensitive positions; excluding Police and Fire Department civil service employees until such time as the Laredo International Association of Firefighters, Local 1390, and the Laredo Police Officer’s association (LPOA) accept the terms of this ordinance; providing that Police and Fire Department civil service employees shall remain subject to all provisions of the current City of Laredo Drug and Alcohol Policy and Procedures Manual (Resolution No. 95-R-068), together with the Addendum (Ordinance No. 97-O-020); and inserting the policy in the City of Laredo’s Code of Ordinances, Chapter 2-“City Work Policies” creating Subdivision IX, “Drug and Alcohol”, beginning with Section Number 2-50.40; providing for severability and an effective date.
2008-O-012 Authorizing the City Manager to execute a lease with the Washington’s Birthday Celebration Association, Inc., (W.B.C.A.) for approximately ten (10.0) acres of concrete ramp located on the West General Aviation parking ramp of the Air Operations Area to include City owned vacant non-aeronautical use land located at the Laredo International Airport for the purpose of hosting the 2008 W.B.C.A. Air Show. Lease term is for two (2) days commencing on February 16, 2008 and ending on February 17, 2008. City Council finds and declares that a valid public purpose would be served in setting the daily rental fee at $1.00; providing for an effective date.
2008-O-013 Consenting to the assignment of that Lease Agreement to the premises consisting of approximately 7,913 square feet constituting Building No. 900 located at 4502 Thomas Avenue at the Laredo International Airport approved by Ordinance No. 94-O-072 dated April 4, 1994 and as amended by Ordinance No. 95-O-048 between the City of Laredo, as Lessor and Jackson-Buitron Funeral Home, Inc., as Lessee, to Buitron Dickey Funeral and Cremation Services, L.L.C., a Texas limited liability company, as Assignee, and authorizing the City Manager to execute Lessor’s Certifications, Consent, Agreements and Subordination. All terms and conditions of the lease agreement remain unchanged and in effect; providing for effective date.
2008-O-014 Amending Chapter 19, Motor Vehicle and Traffic, Article VIII. Stopping, Standing or Parking of the Code of Ordinances of the City of Laredo, thereby creating Section 19-365, City Hall Parking Restrictions, authorizing the issuance of parking citations and/or towing of vehicles for violating posted parking restrictions for the City Hall parking lot and establishing a minimum fine, providing for severability, publication and an effective date.
2008-O-015 Approving and authorizing the City Manager to:
Execute an easement to the Department of Homeland Security for a term of 25 years for construction of a Riverbend Roadway with option to extend the term; and execute a Temporary Construction Easement to the Department for a term of two (2) years; and providing for an effective date. (As amended)
9. 2008-R-001 Authorizing the City Manager to enter into a contract agreement with the Texas Department of Transportation for the Chacon Creek Hike and Bike Trail Project.
10. 2008-R-003 Authorizing the City Manager to execute an agreement to contribute funds with the Texas Department of Transportation and to disburse a payment in the amount of $140,357.00 as the City’s contribution for the acquisition of right-of-way necessary for the construction of that portion of the new roadway known as Cuatro Vientos Road, from Mangana-Hein to 1.01 miles south of State Highway 359. Funding is available in the 2006 Certificate of Obligation Bond Proceeds.
11. 2008-R-006 Declaring the public necessity to acquire, the “Surface Only” of a 21.4162 acre parcel of land for the East Laredo Drainage Acquisition Project. Said parcel being described on attached Exhibit A, and authorizing staff to negotiate with the owners for the acquisition of said parcel by purchase at a market value to be established by a State Certified Real Estate Appraiser; upon said purchase to grant a temporary construction easement to adjacent property owner, described legally as a 0.1521 acre parcel of land, more or less, on the western property line of the parcel to be acquired (Exhibit B); and further authorizing the City Attorney to initiate condemnation proceedings to acquire said parcel if staff is unable to acquire through negotiations due to inability to agree to a purchase price, conflict of ownership, owner refusal to sell, and/or inability to locate the listed owner(s). Funding is available in the 32nd Action Year Community Development Block Grant Fund and in the 2005 Certificates of Obligation Fund.
12. Consideration to reschedule the regular City Council meetings of January, February and March 2008 due to Martin Luther King, Jr. and President’s Day Holidays and the Annual Washington Trip. The rescheduled dates are Tuesday, January 22, 2008, Tuesday, February 19, 2008, Tuesday, March 11, 2008 and Monday, March 24, 2008 and Monday, March 24, 2008.
13. Authorizing the City Manager to approve attached agreement between the Laredo Police Officers Association and the City Of Laredo effective January 7, 2008, including its provision for a credit of $109,750.00 by the City to the police health and benefits trust fund, the value of the “Serious Illness Leave Hours” will be adjusted accordingly in order to eliminate the deficit. This agreement will be retroactive to September 30, 2007.
14. Authorizing the City Manager to enter into a contract with Mercer Group; not to exceed $30,000.00 to conduct a comprehensive search to recruit a Police Chief for the City of Laredo.
15. Adopting rules and procedures for the allocation of funds to Third Party entities that meet the minimum qualifications for requesting said funding from the City of Laredo.
16. Consideration for approval a professional services to KK Communications, d/b/a Autophone of Laredo, Inc., Laredo, Texas, for WLAN (Wireless Local Area Network) Services for the Laredo International Airport Passenger terminal in accordance with RFP No. FY 07-141 at no cost to the Airport Fund. The contract is for a term of five (5) years with no options to renew.
17. Consideration to award annual supply contract number FY 08-027 to the low bidder meeting specifications, HD Supply Waterworks, San Antonio, Texas, in the estimated amount of $160,000.00, for the purchase of fire hydrants for the Utilities Department. This is an annual supply contract that allows for the purchase of fire hydrants on an as needed basis. Funding is available in the Utilities Department Fund. The City received lower bids from Ferguson Waterworks and ACT Pipe & Supply which do not meet the department’s published specifications. Ferguson Waterworks submitted a bid for a fire hydrant that does not have a stainless steel tubing as required in the specifications and ACT Pipe & Supply submitted a bid for a fire hydrant with a screwed flange which also does not meet specifications.
18. Authorizing the City Manager to determine conditions of possible sale to the Laredo Independent School District for an approximate 10-acre of land out of Block No. 14 of the Subdivision Plat of the Laredo Airport at the Fair Market Value as required by the Federal Aviation Administration. The subject property is located at the Laredo International Airport north of Hillside bounded by Daugherty to the east, Bartlett to the west and south of the City’s Utilities Department. The conditions of the proposed sale to the school district will require City Council approval.
19. Consideration to authorize the purchase of one (1) Peterbilt 365 truck tractor with vacuum trailer in the amount of $157,000.00 from Rush Truck Centers of Texas, L.P., through the Houston Galveston Area Council of Governments (H-GAC) cooperative purchasing program. This equipment will be assigned to the Utilities Department. Funding is available in the Sewer Fund.
20. Consideration to exercise the renewal option for one (1) additional year for contract number FY 07-035 awarded to Rafter P. Transport, Inc., New Braunfels, Texas, in the estimated amount of $60,000.00 to load and haul dry sludge from the Jefferson Water Treatment Plant to the City of Laredo Landfill. The frequency and number of hours vary depending on the City’s need but the contract is based on a base bid of $6.00 per cubic yard of material. Funding is available in the Utilities Department Water Treatment Division budget.
21. Consideration to amend contract FY 06-083 currently awarded to MO-VAC Environmental, McAllen Texas, for furnishing vacuum truck services to transport domestic sewage, sewage sludge, and/or sludge for the Utilities Department by increasing the contract amount by $45,000.00 to a new contract amount of $225,000.00. Due to an increase in frequency and number of hours the proposed amendment would increase the current contract in order to provide services for the remainder of the contract term. Funding is available in the department’s budget.
22. Consideration to exercise the renewal option for one additional year for contract FY07-027 awarded to RM Personnel, Inc, Laredo, Texas, in an amount not to exceed $256,755.60, for providing approximately twelve (12) contract employees for the Airport Department. Twelve (12) employees are needed to cover various shifts during the seven (7) day work week. Temporary contract employees have been requested for dispatchers and customer service agent positions at the International Airport Terminal. Funding is available in the Airport Fund.
23. Consideration to exercise the renewal option for annual supply contract FY07-036 awarded to Galls, Inc., Lexington, KY., in the amount of $94,482.86 for the purchase of one hundred fifty four (154), soft body armor vests for the Police Department. The contract price will be firm for one (1) year period and allow the City to purchase additional vests at this contract price. Funding is available in the Special Police budget.
24. Consideration to authorize the purchase of one GMC cab and chassis with water tank from Rush Truck Centers of Texas, LP., in the total amount of $68,615.00 through the Houston Galveston Area Council of Governments (H-GAC) cooperative purchasing program’s contract pricing. Funding is available in the 2007 Certificate of Obligation Bond Proceeds.
25. Consideration to exercise the renewal option for contract FY 06-027 to Southern Sanitation, Laredo, Texas, in the estimated amount of $75,794.04 for providing trash collection services for large volume containers. These services will be required for various city operations such as the Airport, Bridge System, Parks and Recreation, Public Access, Fleet Management, Traffic, Transit, Municipal Housing, Environmental Engineering, Fire and Utilities Departments. Funding is available in the respective departmental budgets.
26. Consideration to award contract number FY07-175 to the low bidder meeting specifications, Nueces Power Equipment, Laredo, Texas, in the estimated amount of $54,700.00 for the purchase of four (4) backhoe trailers for the Public Works Department. Funding is available in the 2007 Certificate of Obligation Bond Proceeds.
27. Authorizing the Washington Birthday Celebration Association (WBCA) to place two (2) temporary promotional banners for the annual WBCA festivities scheduled for January 23, 2008 through February 24, 2008. One banner will be installed on the 2400 block of San Bernardo Avenue from the period of January 28, 2008 through February 28, 2008 and the other banner will be installed at the intersection of McPherson Road and Del Mar Boulevard from the period of January 14, 2008 through February 28, 2008; and to require that the WBCA sign a release of liability to the City of Laredo.
28. Consideration to award a contract to sole source provider, Transcore, LP., for the purchase of an additional 20,000 Automatic Vehicle Identification (AVI) sticker tags as part of the Laredo Bridge System toll collection in an amount not to exceed $250,000.00. Funding is available in the Bridge System Fund.
29. Authorizing the City Manager to waive parking permit fees for use of parking meters, no meters anytime, and loading zone fees for the UETA Jamboozie Festival on Saturday, January 26, 2008. A total of 178 parking meters will be utilized at $5.00 each. The total estimated revenue the City is requested to waive is $890.00.
30. Authorizing the acceptance of the Santa Rita 27”, 30” and 36” sewer improvements as built with the discrepancy of 2,500 feet of 36” sewer line and four (4) manholes at an estimated cost of $360,750.00 and authorizing the Utilities Department to charge each developer their share of the cost as indicated on Exhibit “A”. Funding is available in the 2004 Sewer Revenue Bond.
31. Consideration to amend the budget/project period of the Health Care Response and Management Along the US/Mexico Border (X4-96602701-2) from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency with the City of Laredo Health Department which was to end on December 16, 2007 but will continue through December 30, 2007. The award remains at $78,947.00.
32. Consideration to authorize the issuance of a permit to the City of Laredo Convention & Visitors Bureau for the installation of a forty-five (45) foot wide by four (4) foot high banner located at 2400 San Bernardo to promote the annual Sister Cities Festival. The banner will be installed from January 8, 2008 to January 28, 2008.
33. Authorizing the City Manager to amend the 2003 HOME Investment Partnership, Community Housing Development Organization (CHDO) Contract with Metro Affordable Housing Corporation to extend the deadline to expend program funds from November 1, 2007 to August 30, 2008 in support of the Cardinal Point Project, a 40 unit town home development of which 20 units will be HOME assisted.
34. City Council approval to donate salvaged ambulance #9101 to the State of Guanajuato to be turned over to the municipality of Santiago de la Union, Guanajuato, Mexico.
35. Refund of property tax in the amount of $5,313.21 to the following taxpayers:
1. A refund in the amount of $594.38 payable to Juan Martinez due to an erroneous payment. Account #549-01259-070.
2. A refund in the amount of $4,718.83 payable to the Laredo National Bank due an erroneous payment. Account #946-80003-014.
XII. STAFF REPORTS
A. Presentation of the Plan of Finance by Estrada-Hinojosa & Company, Financial Consultants, on a proposed private placement bond sale for the purpose of purchasing Transit Buses.
XIII. EXECUTIVE SESSION
The City Council hereby reserves the right to go into executive session at any time during this public meeting, if such is requested by the City Attorney or other legal counsel for the City, pursuant to his or her duty under Section 551.071(2) of the Government Code, to consult privately with his or her client on an item on the agenda, or on a matter arising out of such item.
XIV. RECESS AS THE LAREDO CITY COUNCIL AND CONVENE AS THE LAREDO MASS TRANSIT BOARD
37. 2008-RT-001 Authorizing the City Manager to enter in an Interlocal agreement with the Nashville Metropolitan Transit Authority (MTA) and Laredo Transit Management to utilize the assign ability clause from the Nashville MTA’s Request for Proposal #011503-01 to purchase ten (10) low floor transit buses; and authorize the Laredo Transit General Manager sign all required documents. Subject to approval of the Plan of Finance and sale of Public Property Finance Contractual Obligation 2008.
XV. RECESS AS THE LAREDO MASS TRANSIT BOARD AND RECONVENE AND ADJOURN AS THE LAREDO CITY COUNCIL
This notice was posted at the Municipal Government Offices, 1110 Houston Street, Laredo, Texas, at a place convenient and readily accessible to the public at all times. Said notice was posted on Thursday, January 3, 2007 at 7:30 p.m.
Gustavo Guevara, Jr.